Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's up with all the overheating issues?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I picked up a small USB fan when I first got my 722 after seeing the comments. Plugged it into the receiver and aimed it into the left side of the 722. Everything stays nice and cool. The fan was less than $10. I don't need the hassle of having to replace the receiver.

I read a lot on here that you should place the fan to blow out, not into, the receiver. Not sure why; maybe to keep dust and dirt from being blown into the receiver....

On that note, where exactly on the left side (as you're facing the receiver) should you place the fan? Front? Middle? Back? I don't remember. Thought I read somewhere the back because that's where the hard drive is located.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

I am not at home so cannot check right now. Just feel the area on the side and see if air is going in or out. I do have mine set to blow in as that also cools the whole chassis area. it is easy to check, read the temp, place the fan and let it run for 5 minutes and recheck the temperature.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

I read a lot on here that you should place the fan to blow out, not into, the receiver. Not sure why; maybe to keep dust and dirt from being blown into the receiver....

On that note, where exactly on the left side (as you're facing the receiver) should you place the fan? Front? Middle? Back? I don't remember. Thought I read somewhere the back because that's where the hard drive is located.

That's not right, not professional design - for home device like DVR, STB, some TV (old) the airflow designed that way when ambient (cooler) air sucking from outside, passing over hot components and flow outside the box with higher temperature.
For some other (critical design) boxes, like military grade the flow will be supported by two push-pull set of fans on opposite sides.

#24 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

That's not right, not professional design - for home device like DVR, STB, some TV (old) the airflow designed that way when ambient (cooler) air sucking from outside, passing over hot components and flow outside the box with higher temperature.
For some other (critical design) boxes, like military grade the flow will be supported by two push-pull set of fans on opposite sides.

In other words, you want the fan on the left side (as you're facing the receiver) blowing out (ie, sucking air out of the receiver) rather than blowing air in the left side? I assume if you were to face the fan to blow air into the receiver, you'd want to do that on the right side of the receiver to force more cooler air into the receiver and out the left side where the stock fan already exhausts.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

you can find my [re]design pictures here ... I did mentioned it in the thread

#26 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

you can find my [re]design pictures here ... I did mentioned it in the thread

I was just going by what I've read what other posters have done - external fan placed on left side (as you're facing the receiver) of the receiver set to blow out, not in.

#27 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

I picked up a purpose built cooler for VIP receivers from a guy on Ebay. Temps never went above 110 after that. Using it on my 922 now with a high of 105 and an average of 92.

Search for the seller drmckenzie he makes several styles.

#28 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

I picked up a purpose built cooler for VIP receivers from a guy on Ebay. Temps never went above 110 after that. Using it on my 922 now with a high of 105 and an average of 92.

Search for the seller drmckenzie he makes several styles.

The fan I got was only $14 shipped so I'll go with that for now ;)

#29 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Is there a way on the menu to see the current temp of your receiver ? My 722 is in the downstairs family room, which I have a coal stove on, gets very hot in room, no matter where I put receiver, you can cook a egg on top.

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197613

#31 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

And I'm also paying for the service plan (or whatever it's called) :rolleyes:

Just really annoying have trouble watching tv and then having to wait for a tech to come out or for them to send you a new receiver.... not to mention losing everything you've recorded. No thanks. Don't want to do that again, especially when I'm paying over $100/month for the service.

With many programs available on demand, DRV's will go the way of the CD. Not today.... but they will not be used as much as we do today. It would an Aw $HI! if I lost my DVR. But I'd get over it fast.

If the Hooper has heating issues and I do my best not to place it in a wrong place, it's not my problem. I have 2 and have not had any heating issues. But again, that's why I pay for maintenance.

BURN BABY..... BURN! :D
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#32 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

I picked up a small USB fan when I first got my 722 after seeing the comments. Plugged it into the receiver and aimed it into the left side of the 722. Everything stays nice and cool. The fan was less than $10. I don't need the hassle of having to replace the receiver.

That's exactly my reasoning as well. We shouldn't have to resort to buying a fan, but it was cheap enough that I'd rather spend a couple bucks and (hopefully) not have to go thru a replacement hassle

(I have my fan currently facing out from the rear left side...I had it blowing into the receiver on the right side--worked about the same either way)

#33 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

moved the receiver to a more open area and have the fan on the left side blowing out... been this way for over a week and the avg. temp. only went from 118 to 116 :confused: . The case feels cool to the touch and all; just thought it would cool down more than that.

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

the internal fan at left side pushing outer air into the box (looking at front panel) - your external fan should do same

#35 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

the internal fan at left side pushing outer air into the box (looking at front panel) - your external fan should do same

:confused:

everyone else on here says to put the external fan on the left side (looking at front panel) blowing out.

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

external fan do blow ambient air into DVR, ie working in tandem with internal fan

#37 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

IMHO, the best way to ventilate a box with a fan is to use the fan to pull air out at one point and have multiple entry points for fresh air all around the case. In this way the air entering the case is the same volume but enters at a lower velocity and thusly has a slightly lower chance of carrying dust, etc. into the case.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Your assessment went opposite way of industrial design (researches):
- typical (consumer grade) method is push ambient air into device;
- military grade: additionally pull heated air on opposite side of the device using second fan/set of fans.

#39 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Interesting, because TiVo uses a fan to pull air out of their design, at least on both of mt HD TiVos, that is the way it works.

Blowing air into the unit keeps the dusty air from the room at high velocity for a longer time thusly enabling it the support more dust particles.  When the air slows down inside the device, the dust settles inside the case and eventually raises temperatures of components due to its insulating effect.

That is also why most computers have fans exhausting air from the inside instead of blowing it in.

Edited by Jim5506, 14 April 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

if you into computer's cooling design you should know, without additional fans what pushing external air into the case, you'll have inefficient cooling system (it will raise internal temp)

Edited by P Smith, 14 April 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...