Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's up with all the overheating issues?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

None of the Dell computers or servers we use have fans pushing air in, all fans are either to cool hard drives, cool video processors, cool CPU's or to expell it from the case.

Pulling warm air out creates a low pressure zone inside the case allowing  all the small openings in the case to bring in cooling air and such openings can be designed to cool multiple components in multiple sites inside the case.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

by nature of computer's case it would be less efficient (I would go into details, but easy to see the issue, if you have good 3D imagination of airflow); BTW, internal fans like used for video cards or any internal kind do create internal swirl airflow what is not  taking ambient air inside; perhaps pulling fan inside of power supply helping a little ... it's hard to describe... easy to see if you will fill the case by smoke as it's hapening during aerodynamic tests of jets, cars, rockets ...

Edited by P Smith, 14 April 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, about cooling the DVR, I was wondering about something.

I have a USB fan and wanted to use an electrical outlet as it's power souce instead of the USB port in the DVR because I didn't want the DVR to work harder than it had to.

I found this AC to USB Adapter that's used to charge the battery in my Nikon digital camera and hooked it up to the fan and it works.

I don't know much about electronics.

My question is, is that safe?  It's not going to explode or cause a fire or anything like that will it?

Edited by Tecmo SB Guy, 06 May 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Should not be a problem.  I would go the same route.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall