Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did DirecTV just shut down the old program guide?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

OK, for the customer it would seems to be same, but it is not necessary tell about channels goes dark here.
Access to the channels and channels itself are different instances.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Seems like splitting hairs a bit, though maybe true from a technical level. Kind of like what happened when I forgot to specify W for a DirecTV satellite spot :)

#23 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'm still using my ORIGINAL Hughes box with the old-style program guide and it's working just fine getting all the channels. I haven't heard squat from DirecTV about the end of service for this legacy receiver but if they just discontinue service to it so one day it just fails to work my impression of DirecTV will go you-know-where. You just don't do things like that to customers who have been with them for 12 years!!

Of course, if they do it will be "Hello, DISH? When can I get a Hopper?". :lol:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#24 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm still using my ORIGINAL Hughes box with the old-style program guide and it's working just fine getting all the channels. I haven't heard squat from DirecTV about the end of service for this legacy receiver but if they just discontinue service to it so one day it just fails to work my impression of DirecTV will go you-know-where. You just don't do things like that to customers who have been with them for 12 years!!

It may be working fine now, but with changes in technology, it won't be for much longer. Are you saying that Directv hasn't notified you that your box won't work forever? They will be happy to send you another one that will work for a long time to come. Are you willing to leave over this, really? If so, why are you still a Directv customer?

#25 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

NO indeed you dont...... Just because the guide isnt gonna work anymore DOESNT MEAN YOUR RECIEVER SHOULDNT!!

Most of the channels ARE OFF THE EPG GUIDE NOW and i still see the channels....... THIS IS JUST AN EXCUSE TO GET MORE $$$$$$$$ BY LEASING THIER NEW BLOATED CRAP!!

I have also been with them 12/13 years and I dont wanna lose my good box! (GOOD FOR YOU FOR STILL USING THE HUGHES BOX -- THATS A GOOD ONE ALSO)

#26 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

NO indeed you dont...... Just because the guide isnt gonna work anymore DOESNT MEAN YOUR RECIEVER SHOULDNT!!

Most of the channels ARE OFF THE EPG GUIDE NOW and i still see the channels....... THIS IS JUST AN EXCUSE TO GET MORE $$$$$$$$ BY LEASING THIER NEW BLOATED CRAP!!

I have also been with them 12/13 years and I dont wanna lose my good box! (GOOD FOR YOU FOR STILL USING THE HUGHES BOX -- THATS A GOOD ONE ALSO)

The monthly charge will be the same, and they will send you one for free.

#27 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Keep in mind, I believe Dish has done the same thing. I doubt a Dish receiver, say from 1997, still works with their system. Why would you switch to a provider that does the same thing you don't like DirecTV doing?

#28 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

An update on this. Last week there was an outage that made those receivers go down for a few hours, but had nothing to do with the MPG planned shutdown. There are three DMAs that will be coming down in the next few weeks. Customers have been notified repeatedly via mail, email, telephone calls and now even on-screen messaging in those markets that their receivers must be replaced. Roughly the second week of April they will start to lose channels in the guide on those legacy receivers. Customers in other parts of the country are starting to be contacted as well.

So if you haven't been contacted yet, you will in the coming weeks and months. The plan is to shut it down this year as the end of life of that system is here.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Sir, with all due respect, it has nothing to do with that. The charges are the same. It's an old, legacy system that uses up considerable bandwidth for very few customers at this point. The system was not designed to be around in 2013. Some customers were transitioned several years ago when the system no longer supported NFL Sunday Ticket and other services. This is the year it will be transitioned in full.

The equipment exchange is free with no annual commitment if you take another SD receiver to replace your existing one.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Yes but it wont be AS GOOD as the one i have now!!!

And will I still see the channels EVEN THOUGH THE EPG GUIDE IS GONE?? (Like I said most channels ARE NOT IN THE EPG GUIDE ANYMORE and i still can watch them)

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

enjoy while it lasts

#32 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,634 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

And will I still see the channels EVEN THOUGH THE EPG GUIDE IS GONE?? (Like I said most channels ARE NOT IN THE EPG GUIDE ANYMORE and i still can watch them)

A receiver without guide data is a good receiver???
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#33 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

A receiver without guide data is a good receiver???

The channels won't even be there once the guide comes down. Essentially the receiver will no longer function, at least that is what I have been told. It will be a process, not overnight, but it is coming.
DIRECTV employee

#34 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

What make and model are you referring to?

#35 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Let me clarify my earlier post in this thread.

I don't have a problem at all if DirecTV CONTACTS me and advises me that support for my old Hughes receiver is being discontinued especially if they send me a contract-free replacement at no charge BEFORE THE HUGHES BOX BECOMES INOPERABLE.

WHAT WILL INFURIATE ME will be if one day in the near future I flip on the Hughes box and it doesn't work with no warning or explanation...

If that happens, yes, it just might irk me enough to tell Direct to go take a flying leap. I'm sure another provider would be happy to accept my $100+ per month.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#36 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,638 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

You might want to check with D* and see what email and phone number you have on record. Or call them about the free replacement. Or just get infuriated.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#37 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I don't have a problem at all if DirecTV CONTACTS me and advises me that support for my old Hughes receiver is being discontinued especially if they send me a contract-free replacement at no charge BEFORE THE HUGHES BOX BECOMES INOPERABLE.

WHAT WILL INFURIATE ME will be if one day in the near future I flip on the Hughes box and it doesn't work with no warning or explanation...

If that happens, yes, it just might irk me enough to tell Direct to go take a flying leap. I'm sure another provider would be happy to accept my $100+ per month.

Well, you know about it through here. You know it's coming and it's up to you to do what's needed.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#38 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Typically though DirecTV will not do stuff like that without notifying the customers in advance. You may qualify for a legacy equipment upgrade. It doesn't hurt to ask.

#39 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Well, you know about it through here. You know it's coming and it's up to you to do what's needed.

I have to disagree on this. If DirecTV has the correct contact info, and they don't actually attempt to make contact, that's an issue. It doesn't matter if he knows about it from here.

#40 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Rest assured, you will be contacted well before the guide is turned off. Well before. The communications right now are being driven by geography and if you haven't been communicated to yet, it's only a matter of time. Customers will be communicated via email, direct mail, telephone and on screen messaging. And you will receive a free swap with no customer service agreement assuming you take another SD receiver. If you choose to upgrade that receiver to HD, then different rules apply, but most folks will take a "like-4-like" SD equivalent receiver.

You actually could call today, even prior to being notified, and your account is likely flagged because you have one of these old receivers active on your account so DTV could swap you out today if you wish.
Thanks
DIRECTV employee

Protected By... spam firewall...And...