Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did DirecTV just shut down the old program guide?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

I have to disagree on this. If DirecTV has the correct contact info, and they don't actually attempt to make contact, that's an issue. It doesn't matter if he knows about it from here.

But we know the communications are coming per SR. People need to take personal responsibility.

Edited to add... If the person doesn't read here or other satellite sites, then it's definitely on DirecTV to tell them.

Edited by sigma1914, 25 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

But we know the communications are coming per SR. People need to take personal responsibility.

Edited to add... If the person doesn't read here or other satellite sites, then it's definitely on DirecTV to tell them.

To give you an example, there are three DMAs that will have some of the channels remove from the legacy guide in a few weeks. Those customers have been contacted since January and contacted repeatedly. Definitely plenty of heads up.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

You might want to check with D* and see what email and phone number you have on record. Or call them about the free replacement. Or just get infuriated.

Yeah, kind of reminds me of my father-in-law. Always looking for a reason to get infuriated and go off on someone.

#44 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

What make and model are you referring to?

Its an RCA DRD420 RE (And i love it -- Best reciever i have ever had)

And for example GAME NETWORK is not in the EPG guide anymore,I DONT SEE THE DATA but i can still watch whats on it.....

#45 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Its an RCA DRD420 RE (And i love it -- Best reciever i have ever had)

And for example GAME NETWORK is not in the EPG guide anymore,I DONT SEE THE DATA but i can still watch whats on it.....

What makes it better without guide data than any other box. And I mean any other. Even a crappy cable box?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#46 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

I won't be mad about retiring my receiver, although I know that they'll probably send me a receiver that won't last as long as the one I had. I bet it will be a refurbished receiver, most likely a D11 or D12.

#47 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

You probably couldnt pay most here to go back to using an old SD dvr or receiver...I didnt like those boxes when I had them....sure they were bullet proof, but they have zero features.

#48 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

My old Sony receivers have all the features I need. They receive the signals from the satellite and display them on the tv. Seventeen years old this month.

#49 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

My old Sony receivers have all the features I need. They receive the signals from the satellite and display them on the tv. Seventeen years old this month.

A D12 will do the same thing. Yours probably won't for much longer unfortunately.

#50 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

My Sony receiver's 19 years old, and has never faltered. But will soon, I guess.

#51 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

They ALL do that.

What makes it better with no guide data?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#52 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Wait, I think I have it. You folks acting like someone's trying to pry your "gun out of your cold dead hands", is it because you hate change? ;)

The day I got rid of standard def in my house was the day I truly started to enjoy watching tv again.

#53 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Wait, I think I have it. You folks acting like someone's trying to pry your "gun out of your cold dead hands", is it because you hate change? ;)

This.

This is really a discussion about nothing. For zero dollars DirecTV will replace equipment that is multiple generations old with better that does more, and far more quickly.

I have had DirecTV since about 18 months after it launched. I have replaced (always at no or a nominal charge) my receivers for what is now the 5th time, and will get a Genie when I relocate to my retirement home in a couple of years (no real reason to rewire the current house at this point).

This seems like a discussion of some people saying they COULD still drive on the streets through town and are really mad the interstate openned.

#54 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

They ALL do that.

I didn't say it was better with no guide data. I am saying my Sony seems to be more reliable that the current receivers which seem to be very unreliable.

#55 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

They ALL do that.

This.

This is really a discussion about nothing. For zero dollars DirecTV will replace equipment that is multiple generations old with better that does more, and far more quickly.

I have had DirecTV since about 18 months after it launched. I have replaced (always at no or a nominal charge) my receivers for what is now the 5th time, and will get a Genie when I relocate to my retirement home in a couple of years (no real reason to rewire the current house at this point).

This seems like a discussion of some people saying they COULD still drive on the streets through town and are really mad the interstate openned.

No, it is not for zero dollars. I will have to replace reliable owned receivers with with leased POS receivers at the cost of $10 month each. That certainly is not free. I will drop to one receiver because one of the Sony's was used for the VCR which died die years ago.

Leasing is a stupid business model to me. The original AT&T dropped it decades ago. But, if I am to get anything more than over the air tv, it seems that I must lease some sort of set top box from someone with the monthly cost going on forever. I would gladly buy a new receiver when the legacy guide goes away, but I won't be allowed that option.

Sure, the new receivers have more bells and whistles. I expect that when I get a new receiver, it will be like many things I own. I will be paying for features that will never be used. Or they will used only once to see if they are useful and those features really aren't useful to me.

#56 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

No, it is not for zero dollars. I will have to replace reliable owned receivers with with leased POS receivers at the cost of $10 month each. That certainly is not free. I will drop to one receiver because one of the Sony's was used for the VCR which died die years ago.

How do you figure $10/month each? After the 1st receiver on an account it's $6/month for each additional, be it owned or leased, same price.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#57 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

...I will have to replace reliable owned receivers with with leased POS receivers at the cost of $10 month each.

The new receivers are certainly not POS receivers. I've found them to be good, dependable DVRs and I'd never want to be using 17 year old SD boxes. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you switch to a new model receiver.

#58 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,158 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

How do you figure $10/month each? After the 1st receiver on an account it's $6/month for each additional, be it owned or leased, same price.

And while you're at it explaining this, could you also explain specifically why the D11 or maybe D12 SD STB replacements you would get as the equal no cost swap option are a "POS" in comparison to your old Sony SD receiver?

As I haven't heard of any significant performance issues with those boxes.

#59 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Someone posted what he called was his bill. It said $10 lease for the first receiver and $10 lease fee for the second receiver. I guess everything that is posted on the internet isn't true after all.:lol: I understand the $6 dollars per month for the second receiver. I have been paying that even though the VCR the second receiver was used for is dead. I kept it to be a back up for the main receiver. I won't be doing that when I get a new receiver.

From many threads on this forum, the new receivers seem to be very unreliable.

I will get an HD receiver when in the next few weeks. Three weeks ago I had to buy a new tv when the 25 year old Mitsubishi died. Since I have an HDTV now, I may as well use it.

I won't be getting a DVR. I wouldn't use it. I didn't miss the VCR when it died. I have tapes from 1985 that were never watched. There is nothing on tv that is so important to me that I will be upset if I miss seeing it.

#60 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Someone posted what he called was his bill. It said $10 lease for the first receiver and $10 lease fee for the second receiver. I guess everything that is posted on the internet isn't true after all.:lol: I understand the $6 dollars per month for the second receiver. I have been paying that even though the VCR the second receiver was used for is dead. I kept it to be a back up for the main receiver. I won't be doing that when I get a new receiver.

From many threads on this forum, the new receivers seem to be very unreliable.

I will get an HD receiver when in the next few weeks. Three weeks ago I had to buy a new tv when the 25 year old Mitsubishi died. Since I have an HDTV now, I may as well use it.

I won't be getting a DVR. I wouldn't use it. I didn't miss the VCR when it died. I have tapes from 1985 that were never watched. There is nothing on tv that is so important to me that I will be upset if I miss seeing it.

While you may not want the DVR remember if you do get one you'll have access to DIRECTV on Demand library, Pandora, YouTube videos.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...