Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did DirecTV just shut down the old program guide?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

No, it is not for zero dollars. I will have to replace reliable owned receivers with with leased POS receivers at the cost of $10 month each. That certainly is not free. I will drop to one receiver because one of the Sony's was used for the VCR which died die years ago.

Leasing is a stupid business model to me. The original AT&T dropped it decades ago. But, if I am to get anything more than over the air tv, it seems that I must lease some sort of set top box from someone with the monthly cost going on forever. I would gladly buy a new receiver when the legacy guide goes away, but I won't be allowed that option.

Sure, the new receivers have more bells and whistles. I expect that when I get a new receiver, it will be like many things I own. I will be paying for features that will never be used. Or they will used only once to see if they are useful and those features really aren't useful to me.

There will be no change to the cost if you take a like-4-like replacement, which most customers are doing.

DTV is replacing an old, SD receiver. That receiver is a $6 a month mirroring \ lease fee that is currently on your bill unless it's the only receiver in your house. The replacement receiver is the same $6 per month and will take the place of the old one. No change in cost.

If you decide to upgrade instead of taking a like-4-like replacement, then you may incur other charges for those additional services like DVR, HD, etc, if you don't already have them on your account.

But there is no incremental cost to you if you are replacing it with the same kind of receiver. Just make sure when you connect the new receiver (it is shipped to you), that you call to disconnect the old one so you aren't being billed for the second receiver.

That's it, you'll be good to go. :)

EDIT: I see you are going to get a HD receiver for your new TV. That would change things, just make sure when you order your HD receiver or HD-DVR, that you have them deactivate the old MPG legacy receiver.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I didn't say it was better with no guide data. I am saying my Sony seems to be more reliable that the current receivers which seem to be very unreliable.

The Sony I bought many many MANY moons ago was probably the best, most robust standard receiver I've ever used. And that's saying something since the standard SD and HD receivers are pretty decent.

Every new iteration of technology introduces more toys at the expense of reliability, with the new Genie and its terrible clients being a breath of stinky putrid air.

#63 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I has two Sony A55's and it was due to them that I tried Dish. The receivers had a problem with Dolby Digital audio that Sony couldn't fix and bought them back from me. Other them those I also had Sony A1's and a HD300 and those worked fine.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#64 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

I will have to replace reliable owned receivers with with leased POS receivers .

And you actually believe that receivers, with which you by your own admission have no experience with, are "POS" because ??????

What color is the sky in your world?

The 90s are over. It was in all the papers.

#65 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, kind of reminds me of my father-in-law. Always looking for a reason to get infuriated and go off on someone.

You might be right. My patience has become extremely short when dealing with multi-billion dollar companies who treat their bread-and-butter long term customers like, well you know what word I was thinking about.

The problem is that all companies today (especially companies involved with services like subscription TV and cellphone service) offer the red carpet treatment to NEW BUSINESS and then lock you up and forget about you for 2 years. Even when the 2 years is up you are considered "hooked" and not considered.

Look around this forum for example. How many posts are from existing customers who want to lower their bill and are ignored or offered Starz! for 6 months?

There. I feel better now. :)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#66 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

From many threads on this forum, the new receivers seem to be very unreliable.

Keep one thing in mind. There are millions of customers with the newer receivers, whether its a D12, R16, Hx2x etc. Not many come to forums to talk about how great it's going. They come when they have problems. Are they 100% bug free? No. But I wouldn't characterize them as unreliable either.

#67 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

No, it is not for zero dollars. I will have to replace reliable owned receivers with with leased POS receivers at the cost of $10 month each. That certainly is not free. I will drop to one receiver because one of the Sony's was used for the VCR which died die years ago.

Leasing is a stupid business model to me. The original AT&T dropped it decades ago. But, if I am to get anything more than over the air tv, it seems that I must lease some sort of set top box from someone with the monthly cost going on forever. I would gladly buy a new receiver when the legacy guide goes away, but I won't be allowed that option.

Actually, your logic is flawed here. I would rather have LEASED receivers. Why? If they break DirecTV sends a replacement for only $20. If my Hughes box breaks I have to replace or fix it myself.

My bone of contention is that DirecTV for their benefit to obtain more bandwidth is discontinuing support for old receivers which obviously many subscribers are perfectly happy with. I don't have a problem with that but I do if they just DO IT without warning customers. How would you feel if you only had one legacy receiver and you went to watch TV and it didn't work? You'd start troubleshooting your TV and then call DirecTV where their irritating robot phone system would tell you to press the red button your legacy receiver doesn't have!! Then, if you're lucky, you might end up with a CSR who probably demands to know your receivers RID which legacy receivers don't have. Then you are offered a replacement receiver for $20 if you agree to a commitment!!!

That's not how to do business.

By the way, receivers are still $6 per month per box not $10.

PS: A T & T was FORCED to divest their subscriber equipment business as part of the breakup of the Bell System in 1984. But if you decided to keep your A T & T phone they formed a separate company to cheerfully keep charging you a monthly rental fee for years! You never did really OWN that phone you paid for so many times over.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#68 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Actually, your logic is flawed here. I would rather have LEASED receivers. Why? If they break DirecTV sends a replacement for only $20. If my Hughes box breaks I have to replace or fix it myself.

Owned receivers are replaced free with owned receivers when you have the protection plan.

My bone of contention is that DirecTV for their benefit to obtain more bandwidth is discontinuing support for old receivers which obviously many subscribers are perfectly happy with. I don't have a problem with that but I do if they just DO IT without warning customers. How would you feel if you only had one legacy receiver and you went to watch TV and it didn't work? You'd start troubleshooting your TV and then call DirecTV where their irritating robot phone system would tell you to press the red button your legacy receiver doesn't have!! Then, if you're lucky, you might end up with a CSR who probably demands to know your receivers RID which legacy receivers don't have. Then you are offered a replacement receiver for $20 if you agree to a commitment!!!

You're spreading FUD.
DirecTV is telling customers in multiple ways. For the current situation discussed in this topic, SD receivers are replaced with SD receivers for free with no commitment.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#69 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

You probably couldnt pay most here to go back to using an old SD dvr or receiver...I didnt like those boxes when I had them....sure they were bullet proof, but they have zero features.

Some of us DO NOT WANT ALL THAT CRAP!!!!!! -- We just want standard/basic service!

This is really a discussion about nothing. For zero dollars DirecTV will replace equipment that is multiple generations old with better that does more, and far more quickly

The question of BETTER is At focus here.... IT WONT BE BETTER,IT WILL BE SLOWER POS WITH STUFF I DONT WANT!!!!!

#70 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Some of us DO NOT WANT ALL THAT CRAP!!!!!! -- We just want standard/basic service!

The question of BETTER is At focus here.... IT WONT BE BETTER,IT WILL BE SLOWER POS WITH STUFF I DONT WANT!!!!!

I'd be happy to trade you the service I had with the local city-run cableco before I went back to D*. 70 analog channels, another 70 in SD digital, about 30 in HD. No VOD, no HD PPV, only Starz! in HD for premium movie channels. Oh, and no internet service at all. They still hook up TVs for analog only, no box at all. The boxes they do offer are stripped down and are so outdated they won't even keep the software when the power goes out. So every blip meant re-downloading the entire interface. You couldn't watch any recorded shows until it all came back, and it might be hours.

Despite all the minor quibbles I've reacclimatised myself with on D* it's worth the grumbles to get rid of cable. It was just seven shades of terrible.

But it was simple. Go back to cable if ya want simple. :)

#71 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Its a given with any electronic that eventually u will have to replace it with a newer model.
yes the hd equipment doesnt operate as fast as std equipment, but with the sacrifice of speed u gain features that u couldnt do with the std stuff.

if u wanna leave directv just because ur sony receiver wont work anymore what are u gonna do? Take it to dish and use it on their system? they will say the same thing that directv is saying. sorry that wont work on the current system but u can use this product instead

The longer u wait the more stressful u will make the transition the more wrinkles u will get.
I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#72 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

IT WONT BE BETTER,IT WILL BE SLOWER POS WITH STUFF I DONT WANT!!!!!

Umm, not to belabor a point, because you really don't have one, but, every gereration of receiver (and I, unlike you, have owned them all) does "basic" functions like call up the guide or change channels faster.

Get cable. Its 50s technology, will never improve, and is "simple".

#73 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

In reality, HD is standard basic service these days....wake up and smell the coffee.

#74 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

But again what real proof do you have that the current generation of D11 and D12 SD boxes are "SLOW" and "POS" in comparison to your old box beyond simply shouting these repeated emotional claims that they are?

#75 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

What stuff that you don't want is in a D12 box? How do you know that it will be slower? How do you know it will be a POS?

#76 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

I updated to all HD boxes within the last year. I left my old dish and LNB up with cables to two spare bedrooms and I kept several old Hughes boxes that I use when company comes for a few weeks a year. I just call in and activate the receiver when the bedrooms are in use. You can do that with owned boxes, you CANNOT do that with leased equipment. If they shut down the old boxes, I will have to get leased equipment that cannot be deactivated until needed, they would have to be returned. I'm not the only one that does this so we will be forced to pay the receiver charge full time or buy new equipment that we can turn on and off. Is there any workaround to this problem?

#77 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

I updated to all HD boxes within the last year. I left my old dish and LNB up with cables to two spare bedrooms and I kept several old Hughes boxes that I use when company comes for a few weeks a year. I just call in and activate the receiver when the bedrooms are in use. You can do that with owned boxes, you CANNOT do that with leased equipment. If they shut down the old boxes, I will have to get leased equipment that cannot be deactivated until needed, they would have to be returned. I'm not the only one that does this so we will be forced to pay the receiver charge full time or buy new equipment that we can turn on and off. Is there any workaround to this problem?

You can buy owned receivers.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#78 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,227 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Is there any workaround to this problem?

It is possible to buy owned receivers, I would think especially a D11 or D12 SD receiver. But you do need to be careful when trying to do so.

Find a receiver for sale, get the Receiver ID number (RID), then call the access card department at DirecTV. Have them confirm the receiver can be activated and used on your account if you buy it. You will need to obtain a new access card (cost about $20), so factor that into whatever you are willing to pay for the receiver.

You can also buy an owned receiver directly from DirecTV, but the cost is significantly higher than the upfront cost to lease.

Check the buy/sell/trade forum of this site.

#79 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

You can buy owned receivers.

I have 5 owned receivers but apparently I will need to throw them away soon. BTW I get e-mails from Directv all the time and I have never received one saying I would have to get new equipment. Oh well, nothing lasts forever, I guess I will have to jump through the hoops and try to find a owned receiver that will work for my part time needs. I just wish I could get a firm date.

#80 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

You can still find them on ebay, just have to check the Receiver Id number at the Access Card dept. Theres's still legacy receivers that are owned hughes sd-hbh and hbh-sa that have APG guides, so the change will not affect those.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...