Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did DirecTV just shut down the old program guide?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

I did get the message.  Are customers supposed to somehow see this channel in the guide and tune to it?

In any event, (as expected) I called in and requested the "MPG swap" and the CSR was confused.  First, I was told there would be a new one year commitment.  Then I pressed for more info and after "conferring with a supervisor" was told no, everything was free and no commitment.  We'll see!!  Don't you think their CSR's would be TRAINED on this and how it works?

I'm betting they try to stick me with a new one year commitment or worse a CHARGE for a replacement receiver!!

Customers that are communicated to go to channel 341 for those instructions.  However, even those not yet communicated to are eligible so if they "stumble" upon channel 341 on their own that's fine as well.  The idea is to try and gate this a bit so only so many folks are swapping out at a time which is why the communications are targeted in waves for different customer groups at a time. 

There will not be a commitment and it is free.  Looks like you might have got a call to an agent that was fairly new to the process which is unfortunate.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Satelliteracer, why didn't Directv take this opportunity to replace these receivers with mpeg4 equipment? They wouldn't have to be enabled for hd nor charged to the customer to get them. I think the same for new installs even if sd. Use mpeg4 boxes. This should have been started years ago. If they had, there would be many fewer mpeg2 boxes out there. Eventually those on mpeg2 would be transitioned and it would free up a lot of bandwidth for more channels or better video quality. There can't be much if any difference in the cost per box from mpeg2 to mpeg4.

Actually the cost differences are quite large.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#103 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Still hitting certain parts of the country.  I would be surprised if you are not contacted by end of June at the latest.

No I won't if you've been following this thread-at least the "on topic" posts!  :sure:

My "MPG Swap" as they call it came today.  A four year old D12-100 which seems to be in pretty good shape.

But just as I speculated, I almost ended up with an ADDITIONAL receiver on my account and a one year commitment!

The CSR kept saying "you want to activate a new receiver?" and I kept saying "No, I want to do the MPG swap".  Finally, he gave up and transferred me to someone in this country who knew right away what I wanted.  After examining my account on the web site, it does appear that the receiver was indeed swapped out correctly.  Next week, I'll call in and ask when my commitment date is just to be sure the swap was done correctly.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall