Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Genie Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   3littlepigs

3littlepigs

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hi all.

I want to upgrade my current Directv setup to the new Genie. I currently have a HR21 with a Slimline disk.
Is this what I need.
- SL5-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Five LNB With Built-In Multiswitch (SL5-SWM)
- SWM-PI 29V Power Inserter for SWM-8 (SWM-PI)
- DIRECTV HR34

I can still use my Slimline disk, correct?

Thanks,
3littlepigs

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Yes, you should be able to still use the same dish, and that does look like the correct equipment you would need.

That said, if you do the upgrade through DirecTV they will change out the LNB, add the power inserter, and hook everything up, so it probably makes more sense to just have them do it. Most people that are out of contract have been able to get the Genie for free, or at a pretty good discount. There are many threads here talking about it if you look around.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   3littlepigs

3littlepigs

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

It looks like I can get the equipment for about the same price I can get it through Directv. Plus I get to do it.

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

It looks like I can get the equipment for about the same price I can get it through Directv. Plus I get to do it.

Buying the stuff yourself you are looking at anywhere from $300 up depending on where you get the stuff. $300 for the HR34, and then the LNB, Power Inserter, and splitter (if needed). Buying the LNB and power inserter off eBay will save you some money but you are still probably looking at $40 or more.

From DirecTV the most you should have to pay is $350, $300 for the Genie, and $50 for install. All the other stuff will be included. But, like I said many many people have been able to call in and get significant deals on this, some even getting everything done for free, but many getting it for $100-150.

I would at least call DirecTV and talk to them a couple times to see what kind of a deal you can get (sometimes you have to do it a couple times as some CSRs are more likely to give out deals than others).

Either way you go about doing it you should realize that activating the Genie on your account will start a new 2 year agreement, whether you get it from DirecTV or somewhere else.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...