Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about new install yesterday

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

Just came back to D* because of the current new customer promo. Install went smoothly, everything seems to be working fine (knock wood). Have had D* in the past, but this new installation set up was different from what I'd experienced before, so wanted to check here to make sure it was proper.

-- Got a Genie, three clients and an HR24;
-- Had an existing dish, so the installer checked it and decided to just replace the LNB(s);
-- One line from the dish, the SWiM setup I'm assuming. However, the installer mounted an 8-way splitter outside my house on the brick. Not one of those large, powered multi-switches, as was the case before, but a sleeker splitter. Is that normal? I'm assuming it is installed this way because of the Genie setup with the five tuners from the HR34. First time I hadn't seen a multi-switch used. (I've seen that splitter used here in a past install, but it was mounted inside my house and took lines from a powered multi-switch that was outside the house. I also want to be sure the splitter is weather-proof, since it's outside.)
-- HR34 connected directly to an ethernet switch located at the main TV. No "Cinema Connection Kit" or other attachment used.

As I said, all is working fine. Installer was friendly and personable. Signals are strong, all clients see each other, am able to share playlists and to download On Demand programming to both the HR34 and HR24. Just wanted to double check on the setup. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Yes, it is correct. The new SWM system uses only one coax per receiver and it can handle 8 tuners ( you currently have 7 ).
If you add another HR to the system you would have 9 tuners and the setup would get more complicated.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

Yes, it is correct. The new SWM system uses only one coax per receiver and it can handle 8 tuners ( you currently have 7 ).
If you add another HR to the system you would have 9 tuners and the setup would get more complicated.

Thanks jimmie. I knew an 8-way would work with the amount of tuners I have. What threw me was just the use of a splitter from the dish as opposed to the traditional powered multi-switch from the dish and into a splitter.

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks jimmie. I knew an 8-way would work with the amount of tuners I have. What threw me was just the use of a splitter from the dish as opposed to the traditional powered multi-switch from the dish and into a splitter.

What you have is a SWM LNB on the dish...it has a SWM "multiswitch" built-in. As jimmie notes, if you were to add another 2 tuners to your setup, then you would need a replacement LNB with 4 outputs, and an external SWM-16 switch. But as things stand, you are good with just a splitter.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

What you have is a SWM LNB on the dish...it has a SWM "multiswitch" built-in. As jimmie notes, if you were to add another 2 tuners to your setup, then you would need a replacement LNB with 4 outputs, and an external SWM-16 switch. But as things stand, you are good with just a splitter.

Ahh, there it is - the multiswitch built into the dish. Thank you Diana. No worries about the splitter being anchored outside in the elements though?

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Had it been placed inside -That would keep (water) from getting to the connectors -over time- I assume he placed it outside because your other wires (to Tv sets) Were in that outside location?
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ahh, there it is - the multiswitch built into the dish. Thank you Diana. No worries about the splitter being anchored outside in the elements though?

I have splitters on the outside and do not have any problems. They are placed under the eve of the roof and do not get direct rain on them. If your are placed where it will rain on them it is very likely that he used waterproof connectors for those connections.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have splitters on the outside and do not have any problems. They are placed under the eve of the roof and do not get direct rain on them. If your are placed where it will rain on them it is very likely that he used waterproof connectors for those connections.

I have the same splitters placed out side under an eve and when I asked about it was told they use the waterproof connectors.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#9 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

OK, I'll assume it's waterproof then, because it's on the side of my house that gets hammered by weather.

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

They are water proof - but nothing withstands the ravages of time!
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

They are water proof - but nothing withstands the ravages of time!

Tell me about it...Wait, are we still talking about electrical equipment? :D

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

All DirecTV support equipment (splitters, ground blocks, switches, etc) comes with "weather booties" from the factory. even the LNB has one!
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall