Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help with moving around receivers for whole home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cheerioboy26

cheerioboy26

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hi,

I have an HR20-100 that has a failed hard drive. I also use OTA antenna, and I also have an HR21 and HR24 in my whole home setup. Currently, my DTV receivers are not connected to the Internet.

I have the protection plan, and received a nearly-as-old HR 21-200 as a replacement. I tried to tell them to send me an AM21, but the CSR insisted that the HR21 supported OTA, although I knew it didn't. The new HR21 arrived, and I called them back to get an AM21.

I moved the HR24 to the location of the failed HR20. I took off all of the DECA, BSF, splitter, ethernet cable, etc. since I know it is a direct connect. It came up fine and can see the original HR21 in my whole home network. It can't see the "new" HR21 though.

I set up the "new" HR21 where the HR 24 used to be. I added the BSF and DECA between the line off the SWM and the SAT2/SWM port on the HR21. The DECA is closest to the receiver in the cabling. The receiver came up fine, downloaded software, but cannot see the other receivers in the network.

Do I have the "new" HR 21 hardware set up correctly? I know a complete power cycle of all my receivers is something I can try, but it was 1AM and I had to stop working on it.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hi,
Do I have the "new" HR 21 hardware set up correctly?

Thanks.

No.
The old HR20-100 required a special setup.
The 21 should have the coax ->DECA->SAT #1
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   cheerioboy26

cheerioboy26

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

OK, thanks. No BSF, then? I couldn't get to my other 21 last night as it's in my bedroom and my wife as asleep :)

I think I connected the 24 to the SAT2/SWM port. So, it is a different port than the 21 (which I should move to SAT1)?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

OK, thanks. No BSF, then? I couldn't get to my other 21 last night as it's in my bedroom and my wife as asleep :)

I think I connected the 24 to the SAT2/SWM port. So, it is a different port than the 21 (which I should move to SAT1)?

I think if you look at the 24 again, you'll see SAT#1
Nothing works for the coax connected to SAT#2, and it's just the HR20-100 that connects to SAT #2 for the DC power to the DECA.

Any receiver needing a DECA that isn't a HR20-100 connects like this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...77&d=1279075740
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   cheerioboy26

cheerioboy26

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

OK, I will look again this evening. I definitely don't have ethernet cables everywhere. Are they required only if I want to connect to the Internet for VOD?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

OK, I will look again this evening. I definitely don't have ethernet cables everywhere. Are they required only if I want to connect to the Internet for VOD?

If you're using the coax [DECA] networking, you do need to have one BB DECA [CCK] to bridge to your home network for internet access.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   cheerioboy26

cheerioboy26

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

I do have a BB DECA in my network box in my basement panel that used to be connected to my router.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...