Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

DIRECTV is killing Series II TiVos.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

News for DirecTV customers: DirecTV is discontinuing legacy MPEG4 receivers, which means standard definition TiVos will be rolled off DirecTV in the coming weeks and months. That means they will no longer be able to receive local channels. The first three states to be rolled off are Texas, Colorado, and Minnesota, starting today.

DirecTV is not making the route of discontinuation public; the manager of the service unit who gave me the above information told me they do not know.

I was told that DTV will replace the discontinued receivers with "comparable" equipment (as if their crap DVRs could ever be comparable to TiVo) and the subscriber would not be put under additional contract regardless of their current contract status.

Please feel free to cut and paste and distribute as widely as possible.

I would personally love to see a class action lawsuit over this, but because DTV is not making this cost their customers anything, I suspect it would be tough to make a case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just by way of correction, old TiVos are MPEG2, not MPEG4. I see this as part of a long term strategy by DIRECTV to move to MPEG4.

It's obvious that you aren't terribly pleased with this and that you don't care for DIRECTV's DVRs, but I don't think there's really any call for class action here. I'm not aware of any contractual obligation where DIRECTV promised to support these older receivers indefinitely. Unless I am adding wrong it has been about 7 years since the last Series II DIRECTV TiVo was made.

I'm sure you are also aware of the THR22 TiVo which has the software you love. Yes it is an HD product but I'm sure with only minimal effort you would be able to get one and have the HD Access fee waived for quite some time. It seems to me that you would probably be satisfied in that case.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

So my Tivo THR-22 is being discontinued? After spend $200 bucks. They decided to pull the plug huh?
DirecTV Customer since 4/2000, VERIZON FIOSTV CUSTOMER
DirecTV HR23-100, FIOS HD DVR
R15-500 (2) R15-300 (1) DirecTV Tivo (2)
HDTV SAMSUNG 46" LN46B550K
INTERNET PROVIDER: VERIZON FIOS 35/35

#4 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,402 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

So my Tivo THR-22 is being discontinued? After spend $200 bucks. They decided to pull the plug huh?

The THR-22 is continuing. It's the older MPEG-2 TIVOs going away:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#5 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Anyone got a link to a press release or statement of some kind? I have 2 old DTiVos still in service and have heard nothing :confused:
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#6 OFFLINE   RMichals

RMichals

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I think whoever told the OP is mistaken, they have confused MPEG-2 with MPEG-4 and that is not even the current issue.

Directivos use APG advanced program guide stream and not the MPG master program guide which is what is ending this month.

Edited by RMichals, 21 March 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

^this guy...is correct
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Stuart — thanks for the correction about the units being discontinued are MPEG 2 instead of MPEG 4. The mistake was made by 2 DirectTV people, a supervisor and that supervisor's manager in the technical support division for people who pay for the equipment protection plan. I was very careful to ask for multiple repetitions of details. I am a retired Mac graphics systems integrator and application trainer, and I assure you I did not mis-hear or mis-transcribe the information they gave me. I am not au fait with details of the TiVo product line. I know what I have, period.

The discontinuation is to be a slow roll. The plug will be pulled in a few markets at a time, and the service that will no longer be available is LOCAL CHANNELS. You'll get an e-mail telling you they will be discontinuing full service to your TiVo receivers, and you will have to respond by asking them to send you a replacement free of charge.

I googled to find fora in which I could put the information out BECAUSE DTV is so massively unforthcoming. Last week I was talking to the same people about incorporating refurbished equipment, and heard for the first time just yesterday that the equipment I just acquired couldn't be activated. There is no information anywhere so far as I've found. FWIW, the first person I spoke with today said no such thing was happening. She was a little offended when I asked to speak to her supervisor, as I explained to her what I had been told yesterday. When the Sup got on the line, he was like "Oh, that's happening, we just found out today." I had to ask how the guy I talked to yesterday found out.

I'm sorry I don't know more. There is NOTHING on the web that I can find.

I get the impression sometimes that DTV customer service is performed by people in their own homes in bathrobes, who have little idea what they're talking about, and who get their information from e-mails.

I did spend some time on the phone with Weaknees letting them know what I had learned. Their response was that the DTV business plan appeared to be to push people to 100% leased equipment.

#9 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

How would one go about getting accurate information from DirecTV? I've talked to six people in two days, and none of them say the same thing.

***** ^^ this ^^ is a serious question. I simply don't know who to believe.

I am put out because I bought two old DSR 708 units on eBay; one worked and one didn't, but I was able to combine two non-working units into one that worked, briefly, then spit an error #51 (incompatible hard drive) and died. Since then, I've been jerked around like a fish on a line.

I won't be pursuing repair of the 708s any further, but because of my equipment status, I basically badgered them into sending me another DTV DVR to hook up at my Dad's house, which was what I was trying to achieve from the beginning. So I'm all set, except for taking the boat anchors to a landfill.

And of course, wait for the other shoe to drop, because the TiVo I'm currently using will be killed off eventually.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

I understand the frustration. CSRs today are not trained in these 7+ year old devices. Most likely you will not be able to get a straight answer from anyone until a very short time before these machines become unsupported. It's a much better plan of action to presume that they will become unsupported sometime soon and take steps toward that end. Like, for example, getting a THR22 TiVo.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

If DirecTV is eliminating MPEG-2 locals, wouldn't that also kill all the SD receivers (including the current D12s)?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#12 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I thought a lot of the current SD boxes were MPEG4-capable. I could be mistaken. I would assume that DirecTV would replace boxes for free....

Steve

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   RMichals

RMichals

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

If DirecTV is eliminating MPEG-2 locals, wouldn't that also kill all the SD receivers (including the current D12s)?

Yes, which is why the premise of the thread does not hold water. There are millions of MPEG-2 receivers on accounts which would be suddenly sent into caos. Some guy and some guy's manager told the OP this and that. I say that's all bunk.

Again, what is ending immediatly is the MPG master program guide and along with the discontinuation of all non RID receivers.

Of course if you have a hardware problem with S2 directivo you must find a way to support that hardware problem yourself. National guide data or software issues are another matter like what happened in November 2012.

Directv isn't going to offer you a new hard drive or power supply or an exact replacement refurbished S2 anymore, never have, never will. This seems like what the OP wanted to achieve and he got all sorts of misinformation in the process.

We love our S2 directivos and at some point they will probably cease working, just not today or in the sudden way that you have been told.

It would be reckless if Directv would operate that way. They would first inform users if either APG or MPEG-2 support was ending even on some locals.

And of course, wait for the other shoe to drop, because the TiVo I'm currently using will be killed off eventually.

Not really, the OP says he got Error 51 when combining spare parts and just needs to perform a clear and delete everything and then let the unit sit for 8-12 hours, then enter a working local access number as the dialing prefix to complete guided setup again.

Edited by RMichals, 22 March 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Again, I am doing my very best to convey the information I've gleaned through multiple telephone conversations with several levels of support personnel at DTV.

Again, I beg all of you, if you have any idea how I can get a straight answer from someone at DTV. please communicate that.

#15 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

...the OP says he got Error 51 when combining spare parts and just needs to perform a clear and delete everything and then let the unit sit for 8-12 hours, then enter a working local access number as the dialing prefix to complete guided setup again.

oh, where can I learn how to do the clear-and-delete?

#16 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 988 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

I thought a lot of the current SD boxes were MPEG4-capable. I could be mistaken. I would assume that DirecTV would replace boxes for free....

None of the sd boxes is mpeg4 compatible, except perhaps the R16, which is normally an sd dvr that will do hd.

#17 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

None of the sd boxes is mpeg4 compatible, except perhaps the R22, which is normally an sd dvr that will do hd.

One more model up :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#18 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 988 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

One more model up :lol:

Oops, I mixed them up! :) You got my drift.

#19 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I understand the frustration. CSRs today are not trained in these 7+ year old devices. Most likely you will not be able to get a straight answer from anyone until a very short time before these machines become unsupported. It's a much better plan of action to presume that they will become unsupported sometime soon and take steps toward that end. Like, for example, getting a THR22 TiVo.

Thanks, Stuart, I had missed this comment.

Will a THR22 work with standard def TVs?

My dad has a DVR receiver he bought when Circuit City was closing; the model is R22100, and I understand it is switchable between SD and HD. I also have been told that it is a discontinued unit and no longer available.

#20 OFFLINE   RMichals

RMichals

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

oh, where can I learn how to do the clear-and-delete?

If the frankenstein unit is booting up, then go to main menu>settings>restart or reset system>clear & delete everything> thumbs down (3 times) enter,

Then wait like 10 hours, seriously.

If you ever get it working you are going to need new access card and to activate through access card dept (ask for it by name for all owned boxes).

spam firewall