Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

DIRECTV is killing Series II TiVos.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

None of the sd boxes is mpeg4 compatible, except perhaps the R16, which is normally an sd dvr that will do hd.

The DTV DVR that I hate so much is the R16. Even with "scrolling effects" disabled, the lag between remote command and receiver response is horrible.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks, Stuart, I had missed this comment.

Will a THR22 work with standard def TVs?

My dad has a DVR receiver he bought when Circuit City was closing; the model is R22100, and I understand it is switchable between SD and HD. I also have been told that it is a discontinued unit and no longer available.

Sure the THR22 works with a sd tv as long as it has a compatible connection.

#23 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks, Stuart, I had missed this comment.

Will a THR22 work with standard def TVs?

My dad has a DVR receiver he bought when Circuit City was closing; the model is R22100, and I understand it is switchable between SD and HD. I also have been told that it is a discontinued unit and no longer available.

yes, indeed

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,021 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

If DirecTV is eliminating MPEG-2 locals, wouldn't that also kill all the SD receivers (including the current D12s)?

Yes, which is why the premise of the thread does not hold water. There are millions of MPEG-2 receivers on accounts which would be suddenly sent into caos. Some guy and some guy's manager told the OP this and that. I say that's all bunk.

Again, what is ending immediatly is the MPG master program guide and along with the discontinuation of all non RID receivers.

Of course if you have a hardware problem with S2 directivo you must find a way to support that hardware problem yourself. National guide data or software issues are another matter like what happened in November 2012.

Directv isn't going to offer you a new hard drive or power supply or an exact replacement refurbished S2 anymore, never have, never will. This seems like what the OP wanted to achieve and he got all sorts of misinformation in the process.

We love our S2 directivos and at some point they will probably cease working, just not today or in the sudden way that you have been told.

It would be reckless if Directv would operate that way. They would first inform users if either APG or MPEG-2 support was ending even on some locals ...

If the report is true, I think what they mean is that DIRECTV will start to progressively turn off local channel access to the SD DTIVOs on subscribers accounts through conditional access. Not a removal of SD local channels from the satellite stream, just the DTIVOs will be instructed to not to decode and display the locals transmitted in the stream.

I guess this degraded service is a more moderate strategy initially anyhow, to try and nudge subscribers to upgrade rather than a wholesale turn off of the units that will come much later.

#25 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Nothing at ALL to do with MPEG-2 peeps...deals with old legacy receivers that are MPG ...only MPG NOT MPEG-2 rcvrs will be affected...and you will be notified if this means you!
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#26 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=213662

#27 OFFLINE   Jeany

Jeany

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

That thread is not an encouraging read. I'm sure there's some good developments in the works, but when one's budget dictates sticking with aging technology (SD CRT-based sets) and your content supplier acts like you're doing a really big favor to let you go on paying for what they resent supplying, you know there's a boulder rolling toward you, and you just don't know when it's going to hit.

They're trolling my 92 year old dad with a "deal" that would put him under a 24 month contract. He won't even buy new underwear, because he might not get that much use out of them.

#28 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I had one of the old DirecTiVos Series 2 when I became a subscriber in August, 2003. The 40GB hard drives were quickly replaced with two 160GB hard drives. One of the biggest issues with the old DirecTiVos is that one of the tuners would give out. In addition, the receivers are not SWiM compatible. Also, they have not been sold in over seven years. They are MPEG2 only.

Part of the confusion is that, a long long time ago, DireTV did sell a HD DirecTiVo, however the limiting factor was that it decoded a MPEG2 HD stream. It got discontinued when DirecTV implemented a MPEG4 HD Stream. This was WAY before the THR22 by years.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#29 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

The other thread describes an issue that doesn't affect any DTiVo. It has nothing to do with MPEG2 vs. MPEG4.

Steve

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   ADent

ADent

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I live in Colorado. I have a Series I DTivo. I only have a round 18" dish with the single dual output LNB.
I still get my locals (as of last night) and have not seen any notices or such that they are going away.
Loss of the locals will lead to immediate termination of my account by me (unless they give me a free SD DVR with no commitment, even then it is iffy).

#31 OFFLINE   NorthOlyPen

NorthOlyPen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

In March, 2012, I fried an RCA DVR 80 Series II TiVo box by letting it get too hot in my motor home.  Since we were in the Los Angeles area I drove to WeakKnees and paid the $200 lease fee to get a THR22.  I discovered that the THR22 does not have a coaxial RF out jack.  Only HDMI and component video.  The coach has a "box of many buttons" that allows configuring the two TV's in various ways.  OTA, DVD, VCR, DBS, etc. to either or both of the TV's.  It uses coaxial RG? cables only.  There are no provisions for HDMI or component video and no practical way to install them. 

We had a replacement SeriesII DirecTV TiVo at home and have since activated it and use it in the motor home as was done with the prior box.  The THR22 was hooked up to a newer TV in our sticks and bricks home that has HDMI input and all is good again..

The question is; if at some point we must insert a THR22 into the motorhome configuration, is there some kind of converter box that will take the THR22's HDMI output and turn it into an RF signal on an RG? coaxial connector?  The goal is to deliver the THR22's signal to the distribution box on an RG? cable - no more and no less.  Less power consumption is better than more power consumption.  We have ample power but generated heat is the problem.

Thanks,

Dave M.

Edited by NorthOlyPen, 03 May 2013 - 08:12 PM.

RCA DVR40
HR24-200
RCA DVR80 (Deactivated but still connected to a TV)

#32 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

it's time to replace old RV switch box; get HDMI type and be sure all your TV has HDMI input

#33 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Get a cheap modulator from Radio Shack. Connect the composite video and two audio wires (yellow, red, white) to the modulator. The modulator will give you the RF over coax you need.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#34 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

using RF today is nonsense - you can get HDTV monitors (not TV!) cheap for all sizes !

#35 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

LI-SVT has the right idea.  The THR22 has a composite video (and analog audio) output - use that with a traditional modulator. There's no need to mess with HDMI if all you want is modulated RF.

Steve

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...