Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF and IR

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I want to use both and I thought the "x" remotes could do both? I had 3 remotes on the HR-500 all woking with my Sammy but I can't get the 3 new "x" remotes to do RF at all.

I they all do IR but if I change one and it doesn't work I can't just copy the setting back because....well they'll be gone!!! No biggy starting over but I'm trying to avoid do that for all 3.

Is there an easy way to enable RF to test and then go back if I can't get it to work?

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,504 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

You can't do RF and IR at the same time. It's strictly one or the other.

I assume you mean your "HR24-500", right?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

And not all x remotes are RF, a rc65x is IR only. Where rc65rx and rc65rbx are RF.
aka Tivoburkee

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

The only units that allow simultaneous IR and RF are the new HR44 and C41. I also believe the R15 did at one time as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

The THR22 also does simultaneous RF/IR. As do the Dish Network receivers.:)

Unless DirecTV changes the firmware for the HR2x receivers you'll have to use a 3rd party IR repeater option if you want both.

#6 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

The only units that allow simultaneous IR and RF are the new HR44 and C41. I also believe the R15 did at one time as well.

WOW ! About F*** Time I love my RF mode for the other rooms but Directv has ther head um you know where when it comes to Home Theater set ups with Full function remote ! I have the Ipronto tsi6400 which everyone today is thinking how great ther new Ipads are lol geesh this came out back in 2002. Can surf the web while watching TV has a great channel guide But sucks when I have to grab my Directv remote to change channels.

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#7 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

WOW ! About F*** Time I love my RF mode for the other rooms but Directv has ther head um you know where when it comes to Home Theater set ups with Full function remote ! I have the Ipronto tsi6400 which everyone today is thinking how great ther new Ipads are lol geesh this came out back in 2002. Can surf the web while watching TV has a great channel guide But sucks when I have to grab my Directv remote to change channels.

Remember it will be the new RC71 directv remote.
aka Tivoburkee

#8 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

You can't do RF and IR at the same time. It's strictly one or the other.

I read numerous messages to this effect and was ready to convert my HR24 to RF to accommodate one seat in the room. It turns though, that it's not necessary to put the receiver in RF mode to use the RF remote so both types will work simulaneously if you leave the receiver set to IR.

I assume that RF mode would be needed if we were trying to use the control from another room but this works very well for us.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

I read numerous messages to this effect and was ready to convert my HR24 to RF to accommodate one seat in the room. It turns though, that it's not necessary to put the receiver in RF mode to use the RF remote so both types will work simulaneously if you leave the receiver set to IR.

I assume that RF mode would be needed if we were trying to use the control from another room but this works very well for us.

Not really sure what you are saying or trying to do but unless it just changed with one of the latest software updates you can't do simultaneous IR/RF. The receiver only 'listens' to one or other other - not both.

#10 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

... but unless it just changed with one of the latest software updates you can't do simultaneous IR/RF. The receiver only 'listens' to one or other other - not both.

That is definitely not the case for us.

My elderly mom had a hard time with remotes (RC64 and RC65) because a) she tends to point at the ceiling (so she can read the buttons) when she uses the remote and B) her favorite seat in one room is just out of the line of sight for the DVR so she had to extend her arm sideways to ensure that it would work. I hoped that an RF remote might make things easier for her...and it certainly does.

In experimenting with the RC65RB control though, I discovered that the DVRs do not have to be in RF mode to use the RF remote. This is true for all three DVRS I've tried it on -- HR21, HR24, and THR22. So my mom now has her own remotes in each room and the rest of the household uses regular IR remotes.

If we wanted to go through walls or something, the DVR might have to be set to RF mode but that wasn't the issue here and I'm happy with being able to use both types of remotes in the same room simultaneously.

Edited by Athenian, 29 March 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

If the DVR has not been changed to rf mode, and the remote programmed accordingly, then it is still using IR (regardless if is an rf capable remote). The HR2x series are not able to do both IR and RF at the same time. It is one or the other, but not both.

#12 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

If the DVR has not been changed to rf mode, and the remote programmed accordingly, then it is still using IR (regardless if is an rf capable remote).

That may be true but there is something different about the RC65RBX because even in IR mode, you do not have to point at the TV or receiver....which was all we needed to overcome.

Edited by Athenian, 29 March 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

That may be true but there is something different about the RC65RB because even in IR mode, you do not have to point at the TV or receiver....which was all we needed to overcome.

Could be that it puts out a wider/stronger IR signal? Maybe? Who knows?:confused:

I do wish the receivers could do simultaneous IR/RF - It does work with the THR22 at least.....

Easy test would be hold your hand over the front of the remote and push a few buttons. It would still work in RF mode but IR would be blocked by your hand....

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

That may be true but there is something different about the RC65RBX because even in IR mode, you do not have to point at the TV or receiver....which was all we needed to overcome.

You are still in IR, its just bouncing the signal strong enough to eventually get there.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

I want to use both and I thought the "x" remotes could do both? I had 3 remotes on the HR-500 all woking with my Sammy but I can't get the 3 new "x" remotes to do RF at all.

I they all do IR but if I change one and it doesn't work I can't just copy the setting back because....well they'll be gone!!! No biggy starting over but I'm trying to avoid do that for all 3.

Is there an easy way to enable RF to test and then go back if I can't get it to work?

What exactly are you trying to do? And you can always manually program the remotes.

#16 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm a confused what the correct answer here is for the HR44.  I just got my Genie HR44 and the installer left me a RC65RX and not the RC71 remote.  I called him back and he said he didn't have them yet but would get me one in a week or so.  Anyway,  does the RC71 do simultaneous RF and IR for the HR44?  If so I really want to make sure I get one.

DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

I don't think the RC65RX will work in RF mode with the 44.  Only the RC71. . . It's the new RFCE protocol / frequencies.

And the 44 does simultaneous RF/IR . . .but RF only with the RC71.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I've always heard the receivers will only listen for IR or RF, but not both, but seeing some of these reports makes me wonder... I'm working on a little project to get centralized IR control for all my receivers and TVs. It would sure be nice if I could have RF remotes as a backup in case the IR system had problems (the TVs mainly just need be to turned on and off at the beginning/end of the day so that part could be done manually if necessary)

Maybe I should do a quick test sometime just to see for myself since there appear to be a few conflicting reports. It doesn't make sense that it works in some models and not others. Its just software, why not enable it for all instead of just a few?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I can only assume that the 44 does simultaneous IR / RF because of the new RFCE standard it uses.  It would be pretty severe to cut IR out with only the RC71 currently available for RF.  Other conspiracy theories are welcome.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#20 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm a confused what the correct answer here is for the HR44.  I just got my Genie HR44 and the installer left me a RC65RX and not the RC71 remote.  I called him back and he said he didn't have them yet but would get me one in a week or so.  Anyway,  does the RC71 do simultaneous RF and IR for the HR44?  If so I really want to make sure I get one.

The RC71 will do either IR or RF depending on how you program the remotes. The HR44 and C41s however LISTEN to IR and RF at the same time. So you can have one RC71 remote in RF mode and another in IR mode and they will both control the receiver. The RC65RX remote will only control the HR44/C41s in IR mode. Your receiver should have come with an RC71 so if you call DirecTV and explain what's going on they'll send you an RC71.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

spam firewall