Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Who keeps their DVR(s) powered at all times?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

With my previous provider, buggy software that was most problematic at startup got me into the habit of leaving my DVRs "powered" on at all times. (The issue was eventually fixed for most btw.) Wondering what the rule of thumb is for the D* DVRs?

Since having my HR34 and HR24 installed a couple days ago, I've left them on and deactivated the power saving feature. Neither are located in areas where the blue lights will bother anybody, so that's not an issue. I understand that if these are anything like my previous DVRs, the only things being powered on or off are the audio/video circuits. Oh and if it matters, both are connected via component cables. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,892 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

It's best to put them in standby when not using it, it can run some housekeeping jobs during that time. All that does is turn off the LEDs and the outputs. It's never really off.

#3 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

Q: Who keeps their DVR(s) powered at all times?

A: I do. There is no power button on the remote or front panel on the TiVo. Even if there were, I wouldn't use. At least I never did on the DirecTV DVRs.
TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB), Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Turbo Internet, TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#4 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

It's best to put them in standby when not using it, it can run some housekeeping jobs during that time. All that does is turn off the LEDs and the outputs. It's never really off.

So are you saying the "housekeeping jobs" won't be performed otherwise?

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

They are always powered on, just when you turn them off with the remote they dont output audio or video. you can also dim or turn off the blue ring. They know they can do housekeeping tasks if you turn it off, they have no idea is you're watching tv or not if they are always on, so some tasks may take longer, like guide data updates, indexing, etc...

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,892 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

Some things at least will definitely eventually run, like software updates. I don't know if everything will run, or how delayed it will happen though.

#7 ONLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

They are always powered on, just when you turn them off with the remote they dont output audio or video. you can also dim or turn off the blue ring. They know they can do housekeeping tasks if you turn it off, they have no idea is you're watching tv or not if they are always on, so some tasks may take longer, like guide data updates, indexing, etc...

That seems highly speculative to me. The HR2x DVRs are always buffering the foreground tuner, so there is no difference in tuner activity and CPU usage whether the unit is on or off. The only difference is whether the HDMI interface and the DAC circuit is powered or not. I can't see that having any influence over the execution of "background" tasks. Guide data is always being updated, and indexing happens according to a time schedule. The event timer is always running (otherwise recordings wouldn't happen).

We turn our units off (and have the power saver active) simply to take advantage the little bit of power saving that turning them "off" provides.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#8 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

We turn our units off (and have the power saver active) simply to take advantage the little bit of power saving that turning them "off" provides.

Perusing these boards for the past few months, it seems to me that the phrase "when coming out of standby" is included in a lot of error posts. And like I mentioned above, a fix for that type of problem with my previous provider was to keep the DVR "on" at all times. Worked like a charm. Guess that's why I'm leaning toward keeping mine on all the time - especially the HR34.

#9 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,642 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

It seems to me that people observe problems when coming out of standby because that's the first interaction they have with the box, taking it out of standby. Why don't you read a lot of people who say "I had a problem with the box when I walked up to in, and it was on all night?" Because there aren't a lot of people who do that.

I would feel confident leaving the box in standby when not using it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

I've had really good luck over the years leaving them powered on so I continue to do so. It would seem to me that powering up and down would be more activity and thus "wear" than remaining on. That is the image I've used anyway and, knock on wood, no unit has failed before being replaced via upgrade.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

It seems to me that people observe problems when coming out of standby because that's the first interaction they have with the box, taking it out of standby. Why don't you read a lot of people who say "I had a problem with the box when I walked up to in, and it was on all night?" Because there aren't a lot of people who do that.

I would feel confident leaving the box in standby when not using it.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

So are you saying the "housekeeping jobs" won't be performed otherwise?

I haven't seen it stated recently but we were told a few years back that the units perform "housekeeping" when the remote hasn't been used in X hours (I believe it was 3 at the time). Putting the unit in standby however lets it know right away that it can start "housekeeping" without waiting for X hours of no remote activity.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

I leave mine on 24/7 due to a couple off reasons. 1 has the sling attacthed and is a PIA when I'm traveling and have to wake it up. The other in the MBR if watching for a period of time it again can be a PIA to keep going. The Sony tv in the MBR is set for two hours before sleeping and will give me a message to hit a button on the remote to prevent the unit from sleeping. Much easier the the DVR. The non DVR's in the house are set with the power save feature.

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,718 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

We turn off our TVs and DVRs together and turn them back on together.
4 years now and no problems so far.

We do not use the Power Saving Mode.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#15 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Everything gets turned off here never had any problems

JACK,

#16 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have three HR20-700.... two are left on all the time, one I turn off. Can't see any difference.
HS
D* user since 11/94

#17 OFFLINE   JimMariner

JimMariner

Just Another Ol'Salt

• DBSTalk Club
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

I always turn all my DTV DVRs off when not in use. I don't use the power saving feature either in any of them.
Where Ever You Go, There you Are !  B)

#18 OFFLINE   ftwrich

ftwrich

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I power “OFF” my DVR’s when I’m not using them. I have slingboxes connected to two other DVR’s and those darn college kids aren’t so diligent about powering them off but they do go into power saving mode. I ask them occasionally how things are working with the slingboxes/DVR’s and they don’t seem to have seen anything unusual. I have 6 DVR’s and haven’t seen a need to leave them “ON”.
HR24-500 (x2)
HR21-100 (x2)
HR21-700
R15-100

#19 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

I power off (unplug) my R22 and one R15 every weekday from 7am-7pm because I have "time of use" electricity pricing and these power hogs suck 25 watts whenever they are plugged in irregardless of whether they are "on" or "off".

However, they do remain powered on all night and all weekend which is apparently plenty of time for them to do their "housekeeping". With the present software they retain everything-settings, full program guide, TO DO list, etc.

As for this reducing the life of the HDD or components, I've been doing this for over 5 years and they all are still working fine. Modern hard drives are MADE to be turned off by losing power so they stop writing and retract the heads a few milliseconds after they detect a power loss.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#20 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

:D
the ONLY way to truely turn the box *OFF* is to unplug it.!!!

that goes for the TV also. just sayin...:D:D:D

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

spam firewall