Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Who keeps their DVR(s) powered at all times?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

I never turn off my DVR's or standby either and never had since 2001 UTV. But I also never shut down my home PC and only shut down my Work PC on the weekends. I Bet Al Gore hates me!
Oh I do use sleep mode on the PC's
HR20-700
HR21-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Im forgetful when it comes to turning off DVR or TV(especially when sleeping or leaving the house) That's why I have the power saving feature on. So when the DVR turns off so does the TV afterwards with no activity.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#23 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

When I turn off my Sony stereo set the display flashes "standby" and then goes dark.

I have no idea what the stereo set does in standby mode. I do understand what a DVR does in standby.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#24 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

When I turn off my Sony stereo set the display flashes "standby" and then goes dark.

I have no idea what the stereo set does in standby mode. I do understand what a DVR does in standby.

It watches for an IR command to power on. Every remote controlled device that has a power on/off via the remote does this.

Obviously the power consumption is negligible.

#25 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

It watches for an IR command to power on. Every remote controlled device that has a power on/off via the remote does this.

Obviously the power consumption is negligible.

It is? Guess again. These little "5 watts here, 10 watts there" devices all add up and you get absolutely NOTHING from the use of this electricity except a higher bill. That's why you see so many recommendations to purchase power strips with on/off switches and switch these "electricity pirates" off completely when they are not in use.

BTW: By switching off two of my DVR's for 40 hours a week I save enough on my power bill to pay the lease fee on one of them!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#26 OFFLINE   gottahavit

gottahavit

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I tried the powersave for a while, but since the DVR doesn't recognize that the TV get's turned on and come out of standby on it's own it was annoying to then have to press the menu button to get my DVR to work.

If it had a CEC auto detect then I would use it.

#27 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

By it's very nature, DVRs are powered at all times. Mine is hooked up to a UPS because it takes several minutes to boot up.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#28 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

It is? Guess again. These little "5 watts here, 10 watts there" devices all add up and you get absolutely NOTHING from the use of this electricity except a higher bill. That's why you see so many recommendations to purchase power strips with on/off switches and switch these "electricity pirates" off completely when they are not in use.

BTW: By switching off two of my DVR's for 40 hours a week I save enough on my power bill to pay the lease fee on one of them!

You're pulling the plug, not putting it into standby as per the topic of this thread.

If I recall, certain models consume a tiny bit more power when in standby than in active mode. Most just have a one watt or less difference. The housekeeping tasks consume the most power, so if you put it into standby then those tasks are run then, which skews the numbers.

Since the housekeeping slows down the DVR (a little too much in D*'s design), I used to put it into standby mode when not using it to give it the go ahead to perform housekeeping.

#29 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

One button on the remote to turn the TV off and put the DVR in standby. Not sure why anyone would go to the extreme of turning off a power strip unless it is remote controlled.

#30 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Sorry, but I highly doubt that. That would mean you would be paying about
$0.47/kwh, that seems really high to me.

40 watts x 40 hours x 4 weeks x 2 DVRs = 12,800 watt hours = 12.8 kwh

$6.00 / 12.8 kwh = $0.46875/kwh
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#31 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm pretty sure unixguru was referring to my stereo when he said standby would incur negligible power use, not a DVR.

I'm paying 20 cents per Kwh for my electricity. Unplugging a 25 watt DVR for 40 hours a week would save me 20 cents that week or 87 cents a month. You must be either getting gouged for your power supplier or paying a very low lease fee.

Edited by billsharpe, 30 March 2013 - 12:17 PM.
typo correction

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#32 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

I wonder if anyone measured power consumption with power on vs standby state?

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#33 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ipm pretty sure unixguru was referring to my stereo when he said standby would incur negligible power use, not a DVR.

I was... thanks.

#34 ONLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

I wonder if anyone measured power consumption with power on vs standby state?

Here is a thread from a while ago:

http://www.dbstalk.c...highlight=watts

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

spam firewall