Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Home media movies play but cant stop them

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alberto7valdez

alberto7valdez

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

I've been playing around with coding movies to play thru home media and regardless of what type of movies i play (mpg4,mpe2,mkv etc...), once i start the movie, there's nothing i can do to stop, pause, ffwd etc...it just keeps on playing. I can get back to regular channel viewing, but if i try to play another movie thru home media, the original movie is still playing. In order to play another movie i have to reboot the hopper. So far i've been able to play some mpeg4 movies and most mpeg2. mkv movies only play sound. The exact same thing happens to the joey

using hopper and joey (new hopper w/sling)
I'm playing the movies thru a ntfs usb 750gb drive connected to my router (asus rt-n66u)

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   alberto7valdez

alberto7valdez

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

i forgot to state that i'm asking for help... any suggestions for this? thx

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

perhaps post the question in a thread with your FW version ?

#4 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

If you are ripping video files, you probably only ripping the video files and none of the menus. etc. MPEG is the only format that works for me and I can use all the basic controls. just not user friendly. Try using the same source video and adjust the codex to find one that works for you and stick with it.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#5 OFFLINE   alberto7valdez

alberto7valdez

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

tommiet,
you using mpeg1 or mpeg2? does the video bitrate matter? and what about the audio settings...i've had the most success with mpeg2, but sometimes it still fails... haven't tried mpeg1... will try that... thanks

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'd really suggest something like Plex or PlayOn installed on a machine. They can transcode anything you need and read from any device on the network. They work great with my Hopper.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

tommiet,
you using mpeg1 or mpeg2? does the video bitrate matter? and what about the audio settings...i've had the most success with mpeg2, but sometimes it still fails... haven't tried mpeg1... will try that... thanks

MPEG4 (H.264) and AAC for audio. You can download Handbrake for free and play with the settings.

As other have said, you can buy other toys to add to your TV to watch ripped videos, but that just adds a level of complexity that I don't want.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

Protected By... spam firewall...And...