Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No audio on startup (HR-34)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I have a HR-34 and generally it has been great. But I'm having a problem I never had with my previous HR-24. About half the time I turn it on, there is no audio. Picture is fine, all functions work normally, but no audio. No audio from live broadcast and no audio from recorded items.

I start up the TV and the HR-34 with the DirecTV remote. It doesn't make any difference if I start them up at essentially the same time, or turn the TV on first then the HR-34, or turn on the HR-34 first then the TV. The audio problem happens at the same rate no matter which sequence I use.

Changing the channel does not fix it. Turning the HR-34 off and then on does not fix it. Turning the TV off and then on does fix it but sometimes I have to do it 4-5 times to get it to work. Changing the TV to another HDMI input and then back to the HR-34 input does work but again I might have to do it 4-5 times.

Someone told me it could be the HDMI cable that is the problem. I doubt this because I used the same cable for my HR-24 and it never had this problem once. Still, the cable could have been damaged in the installation or something, so I ordered a new cable on Amazon and when it arrives I will switch it out and see if that fixes the problem.

Have any of you had this problem? How did you fix it?

Edit to add: the reset button also fixes the problem, but it doesn't work every time. When the problem first started happening last fall, I thought I had to hit reset every single time, which was an enormous pain. Now, it's not such a big pain with being able to fix it with a few pressed of the TV power button, but I'd still like to see this problem disappear.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,314 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Is the HR34 connected directly to the TV? or are you using an AVR?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I would copy and post that here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=213492 along with the make and model of the television.

It sounds like HDMI handshake issue but have you tried turning off or on Dolby Digital, just for another thing to try.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

No AVR; directly connected to TV via HDMI. I will add it to the other forum.

#5 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

I changed the HDMI cable to a new one and the problem still occurs. If it is a HDMI handshake issue, it must be with the HDMI port on the DVR.

I have now turned Dolby off - it was on before - and we'll see if that changes anything.

#6 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm updating in case someone else who has the same problem finds this thread.

I turned Dolby off and the problem still occurs. But, I have noticed that since the HDMI cable change, it has occurred much less frequently. It used to be about 50/50, now it's more like 80 audio, 20 no audio. My guess is that it was a HDMI handshake issue with the port on the DVR.

I never had any audio problem with my HR-24 using the same cable and the same television. Plus, switching out the cable didn't completely eliminate the problem. So, it's not the cable and it's not the TV.

Changing the cable made the problem occur less frequently. My guess is that this had more to do with taking the cable out and putting it back in than the cable itself being changed.

#7 OFFLINE   MurrayW

MurrayW

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have no audio quite frequently on my HR34 which is solved by rewinding or fast forwarding a few seconds.

#8 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Updating again; I've figured it out and it had nothing to do with the receiver. As part of the installation of my new DTV receiver, I switched the HDMI ports on my TV so that for DTV I'm using an entirely different port. My Blu-Ray is using the port that was previously with the receiver. Now, I have the "no audio on startup" problem with the Blu-Ray. So, because it's an entirely different component and and entirely different HDMI cable, I'm confident that the problem is with the TV - probably the HDMI port. So, after five years of owning cheapy cheapo big-screen TVs, I've finally had a (minor) problem with the TV's quality :)

#9 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Have you tried simply unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable when this occurs? Could save you time and, again, point to the HDMI handshake in the TV.

spam firewall