Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded to Genie, Have a few Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkbs4208

jkbs4208

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

For several years I have had 2 HR-20s and 1 HR 21. Several years before DTV came out with MRV, I had a home grown MRV system where two receivers were in the LR location feeding an AVR by HDMI and a component video / digital audio switch by component. This switch fed the other two locations (MBR and "Boy Cave" room above the garage for my two sons). The third DVR was dedicated to the "Boy Cave". Because I was happy with my set up, I am not really up on the latest DTV technology.

A few days ago I noticed I was not getting certain channels on all three receivers. It turns out my LNB was damaged and I was not getting any channels on 103. I called DTV and they offered a service call for $49 or a Genie upgrade for $99 plus and extra $3/mo for MRV. I went with the upgrade. (After reading through the forum now I realize I might have been able to haggle for a lower cost, but that is water under the bridge). I swapped the Genie for the HR21 only because that machine had the fewest recordings on it. The installer changed out the LNB, added a SWIM 16, added an 8 port splitter, added some sort of power injector, and added a splitter to each HR20 that feeds the satellite in and breaks out coax and ethernet to the HR20. One line from the SWIM goes directly to the genie, another goes to the splitter which feed the HR20s. He told me the line to the genie can handle 8 tuners (only have 5) and the line to the 8 port splitter can handle 8 tuners (only using 4). He said he could have use a four port splitter, but he didn't want to tone out all the lines so he just hooked them all up.

I have a few questions about this set up:

1. When he left, all the MRV was working but none of the receivers could see the internet and I could not see the receivers from my DTV iPad app. I connected an ethernet cable to the genie and now all three receivers are connected to the internet. Was this just an oversight on the technician's part? Is this the DTV supported method of connection or the unsupported method of connection that I am reading about?

2. The CSR had tried to get me to convert both HR 20's to clients. I did not want to because I wanted the extra tuners on the HRs and did not want to loose all the recordings I had on them. Is there any advantage to switching the HRs to clients?

3. I am thinking that operationally I may want to take the "Boy Cave" HR out of the MRV. Pretty much they have their shows and we have our shows and I don't want them to inadvertently delete any of my shows. I could not find a way to do this in the menu system. Is there a way? Alternatively, could I just remove the coax / ethernet splitter from their receiver?

4. The only advantage I see from the MRV system versus my "home grown" version is that each receiver shows a unified play list. Are there any other advantages I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

1. Yes, an oversight on the installer. While connected an ethernet cable is considered "unsupported" by DirecTV, it works perfect fine.

2. I would never replace HRs with clients. You will loose tuner count and storage space and gain same thing that your HR20 does.

3. set the Boy cave HR20 to "not share" under the Whole-Home menu
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

In Whole home menu there is a setting to only allow delete from this DVR.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#4 OFFLINE   jkbs4208

jkbs4208

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thank you both for your responses. I still can't get this to work the way I want. My goal is to have the Genie and one HR sharing play lists and being able to delete each others content. I want the boy cave HR to not see the other two playlists and to not be able to delete content from the other two. When I set the boy cave to not share, that keeps its content off the other two, but it can still see the content of the other two and delete their content. I think I am looking for a way to disable MRV on the boy cave HR. When I remove the connected home adapter from the boy cave HR, it works the way I want, but you get an annoying message every minute or so you are in the playlist saying the receiver is not connected to the network. Is there any way to turn off MRV for just one receiver?

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Replace the DECA (the Connected Home Adapter), connected to the Boy Cave DVR, with a Band Stop Filter (available at ebay for about $3). You will remove the Boy Cave from the network and won't see the error message anymore.

You might get the same result of you just removed the Ethernet portion of the DECA from the Boy Cave DVR (this one is just a guess).

Edited by Bill Broderick, 22 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.
Edited because my first answer was way too complicated.

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

You might get the same result of you just removed the Ethernet portion of the DECA from the Boy Cave DVR (this one is just a guess).

Thats a good guess. ;)
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   jkbs4208

jkbs4208

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

Replace the DECA (the Connected Home Adapter), connected to the Boy Cave DVR, with a Band Stop Filter (available at ebay for about $3). You will remove the Boy Cave from the network and won't see the error message anymore.

This did work as you suggested. However when I connected this receiver to my network, directly to a switch not through the DECA, it received all the recorded shows from the other receivers. I guess that is the unsupported yet functional method of connection. So I had to disconnect and we can't use the iPad app for this receiver. It seems strange to me that there is not a setting to simply turn off whole home for a specific receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

This did work as you suggested. However when I connected this receiver to my network, directly to a switch not through the DECA, it received all the recorded shows from the other receivers. I guess that is the unsupported yet functional method of connection. So I had to disconnect and we can't use the iPad app for this receiver. It seems strange to me that there is not a setting to simply turn off whole home for a specific receiver.

Just change the setting to show local playlist only.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#9 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

To put it all together:

1) Set the "boy cave" DVR's playlist to show local playlist only (in the playlist options from the boy cave DVR). This will hide the other DVR's playlists from this DVR.

2) Set the boy cave DVR to not share its playlist (in whole home options). This will hide the boy cave playlist from the other DVRs.

3) Make sure the "External Device" settings are set to "allow" on all DVRs. This will allow iPad control of all the DVRs.

Leave all the network connections intact.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...