Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How can I get my recorded content from old 722 to new one?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   geno368

geno368

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I am a newbi to this stuff so I need to remove my recorded content from my old 722k to a newly installed and activated 722. I have connected my old one to my pc with a usb cable but am not getting any response. How can I do this? Thanks
  • mslain75 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

need external USB enclosure with a drive inside;
- connect to old 722, transfer all events to it
- connect to new 722 and play

#3 OFFLINE   geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I have an ext 1tb hd hooked to my computer. The old 722k is not hooked to the tv anymore since the new one is installed. I have a small tv in my office but don't know how to hook this up so I can monitor and select what I want to copy. Please advise the steps...thanks

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

I have an ext 1tb hd hooked to my computer. The old 722k is not hooked to the tv anymore since the new one is installed. I have a small tv in my office but don't know how to hook this up so I can monitor and select what I want to copy. Please advise the steps...thanks

you can connect composite (red/white/yellow) or coax to your small TV.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

your 1TB will lost all your data !

622 will reformat it to EXT3 type with own partitioning (0.5 TB per a partition)

#6 OFFLINE   geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the help from both of you...My 1 tb hd is just a backup...after I get my recorded content, I guess I could do another backup of my pc???
Will I have to re-format it for Dish?

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the help from both of you...My 1 tb hd is just a backup...after I get my recorded content, I guess I could do another backup of my pc???

Your old 722 will have to be reconnected to your dish and authorized for EHD this will authorize your new receiver on the same account to work with EHD. The DISH receiver will reformat the 1TB drive so you will have to reformat it to use it for computer backup.

#8 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Please ensure the old receiver is enabled before you attempt to transfer your recordings.  If it is not enable you will get an 866 error saying the EHD is configured for use with another DISH receiver.  If you have futher questions, please let me know.  Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

see post#5

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Let's make this clear:

1. Your computer, regardless of make or model, will NOT be part of this process.

2.  Any computer drive that you commandeer/borrow/re-purpose will have its existing contents destroyed in the conversion to EHD use.

If your ViP722K has already been deactivated, you'll need to reactivate it to transfer files from it as Ray C notes.  The time to think about transferring recordings was when you knew that a new DVR was coming.

Edited by harsh, 19 April 2013 - 10:12 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

I appreciate the replies....what I have done is hooked up both units on seperate hdmi ports and just watched my recorded content at will...

Please mark as solved...thx

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

I appreciate the replies....what I have done is hooked up both units on seperate hdmi ports and just watched my recorded content at will...

Please mark as solved...thx

what is far from your question ... so be it

#13 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hey, guys. My 722k suffered a hard drive failure, a new on is on it's way. Is there a way to copy the show files to my pc then paste them onto the new 722k's hd when it arrives? Please help, I had the 2012 World Series and parade on there.....plus full seasons of 4-5 of my faves..... :(

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#14 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

KISS IT GOODBYE. If the hard drive died it is too late to transfer to an external hard drive, it should have been backed up while everything was working. I don't understand why so many people think a hard drive is a permanent storage media.

#15 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

KISS IT GOODBYE. If the hard drive died it is too late to transfer to an external hard drive, it should have been backed up while everything was working. I don't understand why so many people think a hard drive is a permanent storage media.

Yeah. I guess it's time to set an external drive up. I just never did it........lesson learned. 

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#16 OFFLINE   woozythemaster

woozythemaster

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFremont Indiana

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi Having the same problem here dish told me the tech installer would be able to do the transfer for me before he set up the new Hooper with sling. I ask him this and he said he knew nothing about that and did not know how to do it anyway Installer has been in the business for many years for cable and dish net.so it did not get done and they said to leave it with me so I could do it later I guess they forgot he was installing the hopper and activating it .So when I called to ask some feathers for the new equipment about how to set up folders she told me and then I asked how do I upload the programs from my 722K  to my new external 2 TB hard drive with the Dvr with out a T.V she did not know so she asked her Superior and came back to tell me I can't it would have to be activated again and you can't have both hopper and 722K on the same system at once they must deactivate one and activate  the other and after done reactivate when done. Seem like I lot of work just to get these shows but my wife has her Doctor Who on it so as a good hubby I need to do it .The only problem she is all ready Recording from the hopper. this is a cruel world so I need a time when she is not home and we are not recording which is never she the Queen of recording. I asked if I would be charged for doing this back and forth Items They said know and it is not hard on their end.. What do any of you think about this and do you think Dish is responsible for this because they knew what I needed to do and did not send the right installer for the job.? He was very nice and knew all the tricks and trade about installing systems I do think he knew but just didn't want to take the time and to move on to the next customer . Thank you for your time and reading this and those who respond. Sorry for a long write. Sincerely David Thompson.  :bang

#17 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Techs do not transfer content off of an old box for customers during an install or upgrade. It takes hours upon hours to transfer the content depending on how much content you have and they do not have the time to sit and wait nor do they have hard drives to use for customers. I would personally just check to see if any of the stuff on the 722 are reairing and then set timers for them instead of going through all that hassle.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

So many words.

You MUST do the transfer to EHD while the ViP722K is active on the account. The time for that is at least a week before the Hopper install as the transfers don't happen in minutes.

First off, I would consider buying the Dr. Who episodes on disc (or possibly as a download) as opposed to trying to reclaim what was carelessly discarded.

You'll need to make a much less embellished appeal to DISH to get the ViP722K reactivated. Know that this is against their policy so you've surely got your work cut out for you.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall