Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WD TV Live Hub won't play files anymore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   circadianswing

circadianswing

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

My directv unit had no problems using the "music & photos" app to access via dlna my video files on my WD TV Live Hub. As of 3/20/2013, I get an X in front of all the files, and nothing plays. Does anyone else have this issue. Does Directv hate DLNA??

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Why are you using the DVR to view files on the WD TV Live Hub?
Can't the Hub play directly to the TV?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Why are you using the DVR to view files on the WD TV Live Hub?
Can't the Hub play directly to the TV?

The Hub has a built-in DLNA server. If you store media on its internal HDD it will serve them up to other devices.

I would probably hit the WDC forums, though. I'm thinking that you may have done a firmware upgrade that changed some of your settings in the Hub.

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

If you haven't already, you might try rebooting the Live Hub. Perhaps the DLNA server is wadded up.

Disclosure on firmware revisions and recent changes is an imperative in diagnosing such things.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

You are better off playing them through the wdtv player. That's what I do. The Directv DVR is flakey about what formats it will play. The wdtv box should play just about everything.

#6 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Did your DTV boxes ever play these files back? I'm guessing, no. DirecTV boxes will only play back MPEG-2 encoded files. Most digital video is .avi, .mp4 or .mkv now. The DirecTV box will not play any of these.

#7 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Did your DTV boxes ever play these files back? I'm guessing, no. DirecTV boxes will only play back MPEG-2 encoded files. Most digital video is .avi, .mp4 or .mkv now. The DirecTV box will not play any of these.

Yes it would play them if I used tversity as the media server and it had to be an older version. Some files it would play and then start lagging if they were big. The problem I ran into using the directv box was that if you paused for more than a couple minutes it quit playing and there was no way to resume or fast forward. I still use tversity as my media server for the wdtv live also. I had some mkv files it wouldn't play but if using tversity it works fine.

#8 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Western Digital is notorious for having something that works beautifully and doing a firmware upgrade that breaks everything. Mine freezes every time I try to use Netflix and since the last update is very clunky with the files on the external hdd
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

If you install a media server software to PC, then your media files should work with any format, but I would suggest Serviio for better playback to any format.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

My directv unit had no problems using the "music & photos" app to access via dlna my video files on my WD TV Live Hub. As of 3/20/2013, I get an X in front of all the files, and nothing plays. Does anyone else have this issue. Does Directv hate DLNA??

By any chance did you just or recently get FIOS internet? Their new router kills DLNA unless you change a sort of hidden setting.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...