Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hr34 client

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Is there any smaller Samsung TVs like 32" or so for bedroom that are capable of being a client to the Hr34.
Thanks
[URL="http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3113347&posted=1#post311334""]My Setup[/URL]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

http://support-us.sa...3!1338417234239

#3 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info not a lot of choices
[URL="http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3113347&posted=1#post311334""]My Setup[/URL]

#4 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Is there any smaller Samsung TVs like 32" or so for bedroom that are capable of being a client to the Hr34.
Thanks

Honestly even if there were (I know there's a 32" capable one but I'm not sure if there's anything smaller) you would probably be much happier with a C31/C41 over a Samsung TV with built in RVU. And with a C31/C41 you can use any TV. If you happen to buy a TV that has a built-in RVU client then great, but that shouldn't be your number one feature when looking for TV.
The only advantage I can think of for the Samsung option is you will own it meaning you can deactivate it by calling in to save the $6 a month, whereas with a DirecTV RVU client if you want to save that $6 you'll have to send it back.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

The Samsung UN32EH5300 was a 2012 Samsung Smart TV, which means that Samsung should add RVU to it eventually, but as far as I know it still hasn't been added. That said I wouldn't count on it happening now, since Samsung will be concentrating on their 2013 TVs. In my opinion that could open up Samsung for a lawsuit though, as they very clearly stated all 2012 Smart TVs would get RVU support.

I believe the UN32F5500 coming out this year is supposed to get RVU as well.

Sony is supposed to start releasing some TVs with RVU support this year as well, but I don't think they have released any model numbers or sizes yet. The PS3 is also supposed to be getting an update to support RVU as well.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 March 2013 - 09:52 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Thanks

Yep, If you want to Spend over $500 on a $32 inch tv.:lol:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Yep, If you want to Spend over $500 on a $32 inch tv.:lol:

The UN32F5500 that I mentioned has an MSRP of $580, and is selling for under $500 from what I have seen. That's still a bit high for a 32" TV, but not as bad as the UN32ES6500F from last year.

However, I can't verify if it supports RVU at this time or not, but supposedly it should get it eventually if it doesn't have it already since once again Samsung stated all Smart TVs would support it.

edit/ I could have sworn your post said $800 for a 32" TV, did you change it on he ha ha ha.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

The UN32F5500 that I mentioned has an MSRP of $580, and is selling for under $500 from what I have seen. That's still a bit high for a 32" TV, but not as bad as the UN32ES6500F from last year.

However, I can't verify if it supports RVU at this time or not, but supposedly it should get it eventually if it doesn't have it already since once again Samsung stated all Smart TVs would support it.

edit/ I could have sworn your post said $800 for a 32" TV, did you change it on he ha ha ha.

According to Directv only the 6000 models and above support RVU
That TV is $700 at Samsung .com

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

This is the list of RVU tvs from Directv
How do I know if my TV is RVU-enabled?
Currently only the following Samsung LED TV models are RVU-enabled:

2011 Models
D6000
D6400
D6420

2012 Models
ES8000
ES7550
ES7500
ES7150
ES7100
ES6900
ES6580
ES6550
ES6500
ES6150
ES6100

http://support.direc...3992/kw/RVU tvs

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

According to Directv only the 6000 models and above support RVU
That TV is $700 at Samsung .com

What TV is $700 at Samsung? The UN32F5500 has an MSRP of $580 and is on sale for $500.

http://www.samsung.c.../UN32F5500AFXZA

It's $478 right now at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

This is a brand new 2013 model. It wouldn't suprise me that DirecTV just hasn't updated their list to include it if it does support RVU. However, it also could be that it still requires a firmware update that Samsung hasn't sent out before it will support RVU. I don't know, since I don't have one, and I don't know anyone who does. There also isn't any mention of it on any of the websites, but very few TVs on Samsungs site actually mention RVU (including the UN32ES6500F which we do know supports RVU).

I'm just saying it may be an option if he wants to try it out, or wants to wait and see if anyone else can confirm RVU support in it.
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

What TV is $700 at Samsung? The UN32F5500 has an MSRP of $580 and is on sale for $500.

http://www.samsung.c.../UN32F5500AFXZA

It's $478 right now at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

This is a brand new 2013 model. It wouldn't suprise me that DirecTV just hasn't updated their list to include it if it does support RVU. However, it also could be that it still requires a firmware update that Samsung hasn't sent out before it will support RVU. I don't know, since I don't have one, and I don't know anyone who does. There also isn't any mention of it on any of the websites, but very few TVs on Samsungs site actually mention RVU (including the UN32ES6500F which we do know supports RVU).

I'm just saying it may be an option if he wants to try it out, or wants to wait and see if anyone else can confirm RVU support in it.

This one is RVU, not the one you mention!
http://www.samsung.c.../UN32ES6500FXZA
http://www.rvualliance.org/products

If you want to buy a TV and Hope someday it will get the software update, well that's you. Most people interested in buying a TV for RVU are not in the market for wait and see process that may never happen.

Edited by damondlt, 26 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#12 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

So if I have a tv client do I just hook up the coax that would have gone to STB to the Tv and then set it up in the menu and with directv

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

So if I have a tv client do I just hook up the coax that would have gone to STB to the Tv and then set it up in the menu and with directv

Not sure!
I know Member RAD has used one.
Maybe send him a PM and he will give you the run down.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

You'll need a DECA for the coax to become ethernet to the TV.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

This one is RVU, not the one you mention!
http://www.samsung.c.../UN32ES6500FXZA
http://www.rvualliance.org/products

If you want to buy a TV and Hope someday it will get the software update, well that's you. Most people interested in buying a TV for RVU are not in the market for wait and see process that may never happen.

As I have mentioned pretty much in each post. This is a brand new 2013 Samsung Smart TV. Samsung has said that all 2013 smart TVs will be RVU compatible, so in theory it should either already support RVU, or should get an update to support it. That is why I said he needs to try to contact Samsung, look for reviews, etc. to verify for sure that it does support RVU, or that it will get an update to do it. I am just giving him that TV as a possible option to look into because it is significantly cheaper than the ES6100 series, and it should be available for quite a while (the 6100 series will start getting pretty scarce since they are last years model).

Samsung made the same claim last year, and stuck to it for the most part. Almost all of the 2012 Samsung Smart TVs were updated later throughout the year to support RVU. The only ones I haven't heard of getting the update are the EH5300 models, which may still get it or may not, I don't know. But if they don't get it to me it would open up Samsung to a possible lawsuit because they said all 2012 Smart TVs would get it, and the EH5300 models are advertised as a Smart Tv.

Samsung, DirecTV and even the RVU website are pretty slow at adding new model numbers to the list of RVU clients. I'm pretty sure the TVs on the lists now weren't added until a few months after they actually got the firmware update that added RVU functionality.

As VOS said, no you can't just hook up a coax cable to it. The DirecTV approved method would be to get a DECA with power inserter and hook that up to the coax and power, then run an ethernet cable from the DECA to the TV's ethernet port. I believe it may be possible to just hook up an ethernet line directly from your router/ethernet switch if you have one available, but that would not be supported by DirecTV if you have issues.
-by Jack Handy

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I agree with pretty much all of the above post. Samsung has a funny definition of "All Smart TVs" so I would not put too much stock in it. That said, if you have a midrange or higher model it will "probably" have RVU support. I've seen RVU on the 2013 Samsungs (at least in prototype) and it is the fastest RVU experience out there. Problem is that last year they didn't certify the client until October 2012 and that's a long time to wait.

DO NOT hook a satellite cable to the antenna input. That input is not designed for such a powerful signal. The correct connection for RVU is ethernet, and the preferred method is coax --> broadband (powered) DECA --> ethernet to TV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

You'll need a DECA for the coax to become ethernet to the TV.

So the signal actually enters the tv from Ethernet I thought I would have gone through the coax input like the newer STB

#18 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

So the signal actually enters the tv from Ethernet I thought I would have gone through the coax input like the newer STB

The RVU connection requires an ethernet connection. I don't believe it will work over WiFi, at least at this time.

The coax inputs on these TVs are still strictly for the ATSC/Clear QAM Tuners. They do not include DECA/MOCA hardware in them.

I think this is because RVU is still pretty new, and not that many people use it. I think if we ever see more providers like Dish, Comcast, etc. start using RVU as well, then TV's will probably start including DECA/MOCA and you will be able to hook them up over coax. Or we might just get a good enough wireless standard by then that you won't need a physical connection at all other than power.
-by Jack Handy

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

If you call DIRECTC to add a Samsung RVU client to the account they won't do it until an installer comes out and puts a DECA connection to the TV, no using your home ethernet's network. Plus if you set up the TV for a WiFi connection using it's built in adapter and then select an RVU server (assuming you've already had it working via DECA) you get an error message saying you can't use RVU via WiFi.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

I agree with pretty much all of the above post. Samsung has a funny definition of "All Smart TVs" so I would not put too much stock in it.

Yea, got burned by that with a TV that had SmartTV on it but DIRECTV and Samsung wouldn't certitify it for RVU, had to return it for the next model up.

That said, if you have a midrange or higher model it will "probably" have RVU support. I've seen RVU on the 2013 Samsungs (at least in prototype) and it is the fastest RVU experience out there. Problem is that last year they didn't certify the client until October 2012 and that's a long time to wait.

Sure hope so since for my 2012 ES6100 series it's horrible. I was hoping that it might be solved by software in a future release but guess it's sounding like maybe it's the silicon that's causing the issue which is a bummer.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall