Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Better Deals to New Customer

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

According to the website, I qualify for an equipment upgrade on May 2, 2013

Where does it tell you that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Where does it tell you that?

Probably somewhere we don't have on our accounts yet. He's in Texas, they already have the program.

#23 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Now with the equipment upgrade you should get free file (DVR) transfers. ? That would really make the extra $48 really worth it

#24 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

My bother decided that he wanted to add a genie to his setup after seeing mine and called in to see what it would cost him (his contact runs out in Nov) and the CSR told him that his best option would be to call in after May 16th and request a genie upgrade and they could hook him up with one for free.

I was told once by a tech, in our area not to worry to much about getting older reman equipment as most of what they have is the newer stuff. Most of the techs he says carry 24's and 34's for DVR's and 24's and 25's for HD boxes. This may or may not be true but, i am not gonna bet the farm on it.. He also told me that i would not want a hr34 as they are just another piece of junk that Directv quickly pushed out to compete with E*

Edited by Old_School, 24 March 2013 - 09:08 AM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

I was told once by a tech, in our area not to worry to much about getting older reman equipment as most of what they have is the newer stuff.

The problem with that is replacements get shipped to customers from DirecTV, not installers, so you never know what you'll get until you open the box.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

The problem with that is replacements get shipped to customers from DirecTV, not installers, so you never know what you'll get until you open the box.

For shipped receivers yes but, i think he was talking about truck rolling with a tech for upgrades/replacements. I know most of the time they ship replacements but if one could convince the CSR that it might be a system issue then i guess a truck would roll.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#27 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

For shipped receivers yes but, i think he was talking about truck rolling with a tech for upgrades/replacements. I know most of the time they ship replacements but if one could convince the CSR that it might be a system issue then i guess a truck would roll.

Or you could just tell the rep on the phone that the upgrade is for another room then deactivate the receiver after the tech leaves. A little more work, but eliminates having to convince the CSR.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#28 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

It still doesn't say what constitutes an upgrade. Is HR22 to 24 an upgrade or only something like R16 to some sort of HD DVR, HD DVR to Genie etc?

Ordering any model receiver is an upgrade as the customer is upgrading their experience to get what they want. So a customer could upgrade from a hd dvr to a standard receiver as it is upgrading their experience for that particular person as they do not have to pay for hd access and dvr service anymore, granted only 1 advanced receiver was on the account. DirecTV is odd with what they consider an upgrade, this is how it was explained to me. I've actually ordered a free sd receiver on a customer's account to replace a hd dvr under the Premium Protection Plan.

#29 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

The upgrades are non-model specific. So you can get a receiver, a DVR, a Genie or a Genie client but you can't specify what model. So if you have an HR21 and want an HR24, or have an HR34 Genie and want an HR44 genie, this won't help you. But if you have a receiver and want a DVR, or have a DVR and want a genie, this program will give you that.

I have 2 DVR's (HR20 & HR22), and do not need any additional equipment. So if I am understanding the definition of upgrade properly, then I am just getting the privelege of spending $2 more per month under this new benefit without actually getting a tangible benefit.

I just want an upgrade from glacial speed receivers, but I clearly can't just "upgrade" to an HR24 with this benefit. Is there a chance a Genie would be called an upgrade of one of my receivers, and is it really faster changing channels?

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have 2 DVR's (HR20 & HR22), and do not need any additional equipment. So if I am understanding the definition of upgrade properly, then I am just getting the privelege of spending $2 more per month under this new benefit without actually getting a tangible benefit.

I just want an upgrade from glacial speed receivers, but I clearly can't just "upgrade" to an HR24 with this benefit. Is there a chance a Genie would be called an upgrade of one of my receivers, and is it really faster changing channels?

Yes, a Genie would be considered an upgrade from an HR20 or HR22.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

DirecTV isn't the only company that does this either. All companies give much better offers to attract customers than they do to existing customers.

and thats why customers switch every 2 years. I stay with a cell phone company for 2 years, tv for how long it takes before they jam me with rates that are insane etc. I wish companies would wise up, but they never will.

#32 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I know it varies by state or local contractors but in my area they install mostly new equipment even if there shipped, A cousin of mine upgraded recently from a HR21 and got a HR24 shipped to his surprise as I told him about them sending whatever they have in the warehouse at the time and no guarantee on newer equipment. I wish they did that when I upgraded because I bought a leased HR24 from Amazon 2 years ago:mad:

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#33 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yes, a Genie would be considered an upgrade from an HR20 or HR22.

Sweet, so there is a chance that I could change stations now without gaining any additional gray hair while waiting. :lol:

#34 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

It still doesn't say what constitutes an upgrade. Is HR22 to 24 an upgrade or only something like R16 to some sort of HD DVR, HD DVR to Genie etc?

Generally "upgrading" means going from one receiver type to another, not "updating" the model number. Going from a standard DVR to an HD DVR would be an upgrade. It can still be put into their system to go from HR2x to another HR2x but there is no guarantee the model will be newer, so I refer to it being "updated".
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#35 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

and thats why customers switch every 2 years. I stay with a cell phone company for 2 years, tv for how long it takes before they jam me with rates that are insane etc. I wish companies would wise up, but they never will.

They're preying on the fact that most customers are lazy, and will pay full price just because they don't want the hassle of switching services or begging a CSR for a deal.

I remember my parents paid some unconscionable sum of money in rental fees to GTE/Verizon to rent a touch-tone phone (it was the phone with the super long coil-up cord, LOL). They must have paid the fee for at least a decade. The phone had long been replaced, but they just kept paying the monthly fee because they hated calling the phone company.

Time Warner has smartened up a bit. They now have a gradual escalator. When your promo pricing expires, they increase your price by $10 per year until you reach full price. This would curtail the shock of seeing a huge increase, and it reduces the chances that someone would react.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...