Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv vs DISH - Which HD is better

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DesertRatR

DesertRatR

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

I am a brand new user do forgive me if this is a redundant question. I am annoyed that Directv won't pick up Pac-12 Sports (we're passionate about Pac-12 sports), so I am going to cancel DTV. Choices are Comcast or DISH. With BB winding down I've got until July to decide. My neighbor recently switched from DISH to DTV for cost reasons after having been a DISH subscriber for years. He thinks DTV has better looking HD channels. I know nobody with DISH so I can't make my own comparison. I'd appreciate any feedback on the number of HD channels of the two broadcasters and their quality.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Quality will depend a lot on your display size, and viewing distance. But if one provider has the channels you want, well, any quality is better than none at all.

As for the channel lineup between providers, there is a good comparison chart on the AVS website. Here in Arkansas, Comcast (Xfinity) has more basics than either DirecTv or Dish, but Directv has more regional sports channels.

Using the raw resolutions, DirecTv HD is best, Comcast comes in next, followed by Dish. Very subtle differences though.
For SD channels, DirecTv is dead last in quality. Its all going to depend what you plan on watching.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   DesertRatR

DesertRatR

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I just bought a 60" LED TV (LG 60LM7200). We sit about 12' from the screen, slightly out of spec to the 3:1 rule of thumb. The TV is by far the clearest and brightest I've ever seen. In general does sitting a bit close with a very high quality display improve a somewhat inferior HD feed, or make it appear worse?

#4 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

HD
  • Fios
  • Directv
  • Dish Network
  • My Local Cable
SD
  • Fios
  • Cable
  • Dish Network
  • Directv

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I just bought a 60" LED TV (LG 60LM7200). We sit about 12' from the screen, slightly out of spec to the 3:1 rule of thumb. The TV is by far the clearest and brightest I've ever seen. In general does sitting a bit close with a very high quality display improve a somewhat inferior HD feed, or make it appear worse?

The closer you are, the worse the picture will appear to be, since you will start noticing all the compression artifacts, macroblocking on fast motion, etc. I sit about 12' from my 60" display as well. While I have never had Dish, Comcast on a Tivo XL4, and DirecTv on a HR34 look comparable to me. There are a few channels, notably Destination Discovery, Nat Geo that are a tad sharper looking on DirecTv than Comcast if you do an A/B comparison. Most are so close its a toss up, until you get to SD channels. I find them almost unwatchable on Directv. Sharp and crisp on Comcast. We do have a 100% digital Comcast plant here, so your mileage may vary depending on how your local cable system is set up. I havent heard any complaints from Dish customers that have switched, so Ill let them report on the quality there.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

I am a brand new user do forgive me if this is a redundant question. I am annoyed that Directv won't pick up Pac-12 Sports (we're passionate about Pac-12 sports), so I am going to cancel DTV. Choices are Comcast or DISH. With BB winding down I've got until July to decide. My neighbor recently switched from DISH to DTV for cost reasons after having been a DISH subscriber for years. He thinks DTV has better looking HD channels. I know nobody with DISH so I can't make my own comparison. I'd appreciate any feedback on the number of HD channels of the two broadcasters and their quality.

don't let anyone tell you that directv's HD is better than dish's because its not
i have dish and comcast and had directv years ago
in my area comcast's HD looks very good but dish's is better
dish has the best DVR's
i would go with dish

#7 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Technically the Direct HD is better than Dish's. But most reports show that viewers either see no difference, or consider the difference to be very, very minor.

When I switched from D* to E* recently, I had a couple days of being able to view both on the same TV via the same AV receiver and couldn't see hardly any difference between the two in HD. My TV is a 73" Mitsi DLP that I sit about 10' from, so I would expect to be able to see any real difference quite easily.

The biggest difference between the video on Direct and Dish is in SD. Direct's is horrid, Dish's is actually pretty good on most SD channels, though some suck badly.

To me, the difference between the HD on D* and E* isn't significant enough to even be a consideration as to which to pick. At this stage of the game, it really should be about the channels available in HD. Cost is about the same between the two sat services these days.
  • Jillxz likes this

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#8 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

The biggest difference between the video on Direct and Dish is in SD. Direct's is horrid, Dish's is actually pretty good on most SD channels, though some suck badly.

Is that now true on both the eastern and western arc's? IIRC EA was better because it used MPEG4 for all the SD channels were WA was on MPEG2 and was about on par with DIRECTV's SD channels.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Is that now true on both the eastern and western arc's? IIRC EA was better because it used MPEG4 for all the SD channels were WA was on MPEG2 and was about on par with DIRECTV's SD channels.

I suppose I should have qualified that huh? :)

I'm on the EA and don't know what the WA's SD looks like.

EDIT: I have read from others that with the Hopper/Joey the SD on both ARCs is very good, though I've not read anything from those that have had the Hopper/Joey setup on WA and then switched to the EA.

Lloyd

#10 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

IMO, the PQ debate is similar to the Audio Quality debate ... Some people can tell the difference and some can't tell. It's your personal opinion that matters.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

It depends on what features you are looking for. Both the Genie and the Hopper offer their own advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by Volatility, 26 March 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

HD

• Fios
  • Directv
  • Dish Network
  • My Local Cable
SD
  • Fios
  • Cable
  • Dish Network
  • Directv

Is fios still #1 for PQ? They still use MPEG2, wouldn't MPEG4 be better?

Agree that DirecTV is dead last for SD picture. I wish they would improve that. That is my number 1 reason for wanting so many channels to go HD. I know bandwidth is a concern but even if some channels could go ED (Extended Definition) like at least S-Video quality.

My local cable company requires DTA's for channels 28-100. Those channels are in ClearQAM and after scanning the cable they only put 10 SD channels on a given frequency. Because a frequency is 38.8 mbps, that means each SD channel is given 3.88 mbps MPEG2. That's why SD looks so much better on Cable. With a good TV that has great post processing, SD is actually watchable on there.

My mom has Dish and I have DirecTV. Her house has an older toshiba rear projection which doesn't touch the picture quality of my Plasma at home. The convergence and focus is really off on her "craigslist special'. I can't really accurately say who has better HD since it's not a fair playing field for me to assess quality. A lot of people say DirecTV because at most they only pack 6 HD's per transponder. Dish has a few channels that are up to 8 or 10 HD's a transponder. But you have to realize Dish uses Turbo FEC and 8PSK (thanks to better rain fade performance with Ku band). This means there's more bandwidth on a transponder to begin with. Just because its 8:1 or 10:1 HD compression isn't an apples to apples comparison because you have to look at the overall transponder bandwidth. Also you have to closely look at which channels are sharing bandwidth on a transponder. You can't mix all action demanding 1080i channels and expect it to look great. Providers these days are doing a good balance of 720p and 1080i channels with a mix of content.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#13 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

It depends on what features you are looking for. Both the Genie and the Hopper offer their own advantages and disadvantages.

While what you say is very true, it has nothing to do with the subject question. You can't get much more specific in a question than this one. :)

HD on both is more than good enough that most people either cannot see the difference, or notice that is so slight it doesn't matter. For those that are highly critical of PQ and can actually see and be bothered by it, then D* would be the slightest edge choice.

Of course the reason to switch or not should be from the overall product differences and how they fit or don't.

Lloyd

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Are you still under contract with DircTV and if yes, have you factored in the ETFs?

#15 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

DirecTV has far more HD and superior picture quality.
DTV = Digital Television

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

DirecTV has far more HD and superior picture quality.

Not true.

Sounds as PR pitch...

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

and 'more HD' is meaningless if the 'more' doesn't include channels you want in HD.

The reality today is unless you are a die-hard sports fan, both services are just 2 sides of the same coin.

Lloyd

#18 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

When I watch SD channel on Directv it's show dependent, if its a HD program then it look decent but nowhere good at all, Or maybe it's because I watched a few LQ youtube videos that I got used to it:)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#19 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

and 'more HD' is meaningless if the 'more' doesn't include channels you want in HD.

The reality today is unless you are a die-hard sports fan, both services are just 2 sides of the same coin.

So true.
I have DirecTV due to needing MLBEI I live in Atlanta but my team is the cardinals.
If you love pac-12 then you need to go with dish till DirecTV gets it.
I have had cable down here but like EVERYONE else I came running back. Cable is never ever ever going to be in my home.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#20 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Cable is never ever ever going to be in my home.

Are you sure about that? Never say never.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...