Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv vs DISH - Which HD is better

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Are you sure about that? Never say never.

I'll go OTA before I go to cable.
I messed up 2 times with cable.
1st in north Dakota 2001 (disaster) that's when I looked up DirecTV had them from 2002-2006
Then my 2nd time was in 2007 down here in Atlanta because I called upon charter and they said they had WAY more programming and sports so I gave them a go.
Well I've been with DirecTV since 2008.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

DirecTV's HD is more technologically advanced, however the difference between Directv and Dish's is very minor. So minor it does not matter.

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

DirecTV's HD is more technologically advanced, however the difference between Directv and Dish's is very minor. So minor it does not matter.

Can you please expand on your response? I look at the new Dish Hopper with Sling and it appears that it might be more advanced. Yes it doesn't have built in WiFi and SWiM, but it does have a larger hard drive, faster processor and built in Sling.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

The new Hopper w/Sling does have wifi.

His comment was about the HD quality and not the tech behind it, and was in line with what most observe. D* and E*'s HD PQ is nearly the same to the viewing eye of all except those with picky eyes, and of course fanbois! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#25 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

The new Hopper w/Sling does have wifi.

His comment was about the HD quality and not the tech behind it, and was in line with what most observe. D* and E*'s HD PQ is nearly the same to the viewing eye of all except those with picky eyes, and of course fanbois! :)

IMO HD PQ doesn't mean Squat anyway. If the Price, Programming,Equipment Balance doesn't level out then I don't care about the PQ.
I would say PQ is the last thing on my list.
The differences between all providers are so close, I for one couldn't even use that as a factor.

We aren't comparing 1980's SD programming off of Rabbit ears.

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

These days I would agree with you. HD PQ just isn't an issue since both SAT services offer excellent HD PQ.

For me it is all about the money and the channels. All else is just something to consider after I've looked at those two. The Hopper/Joey and Genie/Mini-Genie setup is more or less the same with slightly different approaches. Right now it seems the Genie system is having growing pains, but those should be worked through fairly quickly I would think. And the Hopper/Joey for all its greatness in many respects, is just too handy with icons and thumbnails everywhere, even when those don't make sense for their useage.

Lloyd

#27 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,621 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

IMO HD PQ doesn't mean Squat anyway. If the Price, Programming,Equipment Balance doesn't level out then I don't care about the PQ.
I would say PQ is the last thing on my list.
The differences between all providers are so close, I for one couldn't even use that as a factor.

We aren't comparing 1980's SD programming off of Rabbit ears.

+1

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#28 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

DirecTV has far more HD and superior picture quality.

I agree about the quality part, although it's subjective. Care to tell us how Directv has FAR more hd? Be specific, provide real proof!

#29 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Using the channel chart in post http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101 it shows a total of 143 full time HD channels on Dish and 191 full time HD channels on DIRECTV. Yes Dish has more 'basic' HD channels then DIRECTV but when looking at the total channel count DIRECTV comes out ahead. Even if you subtract the 30 full time HD RSN's that DIRECTV has that Dish doesn't DIRECTV still is ahead in the total channel count.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#30 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'll weigh in here...

My in-laws have DISH because of their Chinese programming offerings. They are on their 5th HD-DVR in 4.5 years. Besides the DVR failures, they've also had other DISH equipment die on them as well. The HD appears to be big a step down in picture quality from DirecTV and our local cable provider Time Warner, IMHO.

If it weren't for the Chinese programming, they would have DirecTV. For international programming choices, DISH wins easily.

As for the Pac 12 network, well, I'll wager that will be added at some point.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#31 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here...its entertainment and a luxury item for me. PQ and the channels I want to see are the 2 most important for me, then the equipment and how it works...and although a little sluggish at time, I just like the way the Directv equipment works....money is a distant 4th.....I can always cut back on my programming if I don't want to pay what I pay...I dont give a flying you know what who has the most HD channels, as long as its the channels I want to see.

#32 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

For me, the HD PQ is similar enough that it isn't an issue. So I'm down to the channels I want and Dish has more of them than Direct does for me.

How fast/slow the equipment is just isn't enough of an issue, nor is the 'more sports' mantra that is flung around here a lot.

And of course, saving a buck or two doesn't hurt but isn't the first think I look at.

Lloyd

#33 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

For me, the HD PQ is similar enough that it isn't an issue. So I'm down to the channels I want and Dish has more of them than Direct does for me.

How fast/slow the equipment is just isn't enough of an issue, nor is the 'more sports' mantra that is flung around here a lot.

And of course, saving a buck or two doesn't hurt but isn't the first think I look at.

So what non-premium channel is worth it to give up Disney, ABC Family, etc.?
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#34 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Reelz HD for one, Epix for another.

And since I'm 69 and on the big set, I'm the only chooser, neither of those you listed are of interest to me at all. Of course, if I chose to watch them I would see them in SD that is very watcheable.

Give me scripted dramas, some comedies, boxing and golf and I'm good to go. Throw in a movie or three and I'm even better! :)

Lloyd

#35 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Reelz HD for one, Epix for another.

And since I'm 69 and on the big set, I'm the only chooser, neither of those you listed are of interest to me at all. Of course, if I chose to watch them I would see them in SD that is very watcheable.

Give me scripted dramas, some comedies, boxing and golf and I'm good to go. Throw in a movie or three and I'm even better! :)

So nothing worth giving up Disney, ABC Family, etc.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#36 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

So nothing worth giving up Disney, ABC Family, etc.

For you it seems. :)

Those channels haven't been shown on my TV in many, many years. They weren't in HD at all when I last had them on.

You seem to be trying to make a point but missing. I said that it is all about the content for me, and it is the content that I care about. For you, it seems your content desires are different than mine, who knew? :lol:

Lloyd

#37 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

DirecTV has far more HD and superior picture quality.

I would have to agree. I've had Directv on my 6 year old Sony rear projection and have compared both FIOS and Dish on family member's newer TV's, both Panasonic Plasmas, and I find something wrong with the picture every time I'm visiting them. I've tried calibrating their sets but sadly the picture quality is inferior to Directv!! :)
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#38 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I agree about the quality part, although it's subjective. Care to tell us how Directv has FAR more hd? Be specific, provide real proof!

They have far more HD channels. That's pretty simple.
DTV = Digital Television

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

"far more" could be easily outweigh by desired channels, not the relatively number

#40 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

They have far more HD channels. That's pretty simple.

Hey, you came back! So tell me, what does it matter exactly how many channels either provider has if they don't have the channels you want to watch? BTW, when are you returning to the Letterman/Ferguson thread? That's going to be entertaining!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...