Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv vs DISH - Which HD is better

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hey, you came back! So tell me, what does it matter exactly how many channels either provider has if they don't have the channels you want to watch? BTW, when are you returning to the Letterman/Ferguson thread? That's going to be entertaining!

It matters when one has far more HD channels and superior HD picture quality. That's just one of the many reasons why Dish has long lagged far behind DirecTV. No need to return to a thread there I have already straightened people out.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

It matters when one has far more HD channels and superior HD picture quality. That's just one of the many reasons why Dish has long lagged far behind DirecTV. No need to return to a thread there I have already straightened people out.

So what if my favorite two or three channels aren't on Directv. What good does the better picture quality or higher number of other hd channels matter? BTW, you got skooled on the other thread, real bad, too!

#43 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

So what if my favorite two or three channels aren't on Directv. What good does the better picture quality or higher number of other hd channels matter? BTW, you got skooled on the other thread, real bad, too!

Dish doesn't have a single top tier channel that isn't carried by DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#44 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Do you have comprehension issues? I didn't say anything about top tier channels. Answer the question! What does it matter exactly how many channels either provider has if they don't have the channels you want to watch?

#45 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

which has exactly nothing to do with the price of tea in China, or really answer the question.

For me these days, how many channels are in HD isn't anywhere near as important as which channels are there. In my case that means Dish has more of what I want than does Direct.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Answer the question!

I did.
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

which has exactly nothing to do with the price of tea in China, or really answer the question.

For me these days, how many channels are in HD isn't anywhere near as important as which channels are there. In my case that means Dish has more of what I want than does Direct.

So apparently you want fewer channels and subpar HD picture quality. Odd...
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

I did.

No you didn't. You answered a question that wasn't even asked. If you can't back up what you say, why do you even bother? You remind me of a Monty Python skit.

#49 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Most people agree that Directv has better hd quality, but it's not a dramatic difference. Again, what good is marginally better quality if you can't watch the channels that you want the most? Odd is you answering questions that aren't asked.

#50 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

LOL! You can always be depended on to do the parroting trick. And it is real cute when your feathers are fluffing around those pom-poms. :lol:

My HD PQ is as good to the eye as it was when I had Direct. I had a few days of my Hopper and HR24 connected to the same 73" DLP and sitting at the same roughly 10' away and couldn't tell enough difference to care.

And it isn't about 'fewer' or 'more' overall channels as I only watch a small subset of the Top 250, 3 Premiums and BB@Home that I subscribe to. Same group I watched on D*, but with the addition of Reelz in HD and Epix.

Lloyd

#51 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

LOL! You can always be depended on to do the parroting trick. And it is real cute when your feathers are fluffing around those pom-poms. :lol:

My HD PQ is as good to the eye as it was when I had Direct. I had a few days of my Hopper and HR24 connected to the same 73" DLP and sitting at the same roughly 10' away and couldn't tell enough difference to care.

And it isn't about 'fewer' or 'more' overall channels as I only watch a small subset of the Top 250, 3 Premiums and BB@Home that I subscribe to. Same group I watched on D*, but with the addition of Reelz in HD and Epix.

Clearly you should be a Dish customer! I'm in the same boat, but I am a Yankee fan, so I can't have Dish, gotta have the YES network!

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

No you didn't.

Yes, I did. Given what channels are missing from DirecTV, your scenario is not plausible. Choose a better argument and you'll get a better response.
DTV = Digital Television

#53 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Yes, I did. Given what channels are missing from DirecTV, your scenario is not plausible. Choose a better argument and you'll get a better response.

Troll.

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Says the Dish sub attempting to justify their choices...

The difference is real and it is substantial. You routinely mention your Mits as if it is something worth bragging about. Hint: it isn't.
DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Most people agree that Directv has better hd quality, but it's not a dramatic difference. Again, what good is marginally better quality if you can't watch the channels that you want the most? Odd is you answering questions that aren't asked.

The vast majority of available HD channels are viewable through DirecTV. Far more than what Dish offers. What channels they do not yet have are of the bottom of the barrel variety.
DTV = Digital Television

#56 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

The difference is real and it is substantial. You routinely mention your Mits as if it is something worth bragging about. Hint: it isn't.

Oh, I get it now. Not only is your opinion on tv providers the only one that matters, you are also the expert on what television we should be watching it on! Good to know!

#57 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 994 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

The vast majority of available HD channels are viewable through DirecTV. Far more than what Dish offers. What channels they do not yet have are of the bottom of the barrel variety.

But what if Directv doesn't have the channels that someone wants more than other ones? Maybe he wants Reelz or Epix in hd? What then? Don't his choices matter?

#58 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

You know the definition of 'expert' is a former drip under pressure, right?

I don't have to justify a thing and I don't. When I had Direct I said I wanted Epix and Reelz in HD, as time went on it became apparent that they weren't going to any time soon. I figgered I waited long enough, so I switched.

Will I ever switch back? Sure, when it is solely in my best interest to do so, just as switching to Dish was solely in my best interest in both channel selection and of course, saving a few bucks for a bit.

My Mits is wonderful. I replace a 54" Panny plasma with it and am very pleased. Nice and bright, crisp, great blacks and motion artifacts. Is it the perfect set? No. But neither is yours.

The reason I mentioned it is the size. 73" from 10' away gives a darned good perspective as to how good the HD signal is.

Lloyd

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Oh, I get it now. Not only is your opinion on tv providers the only one that matters, you are also the expert on what television we should be watching it on! Good to know!

Am I an expert on display technology and calibration? Yes. You're welcome.
DTV = Digital Television

#60 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

But what if Directv doesn't have the channels that someone wants more than other ones? Maybe he wants Reelz or Epix in hd? What then? Don't his choices matter?

Bottom dweller channels? Again, choose a better argument. Haha!
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall