Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv vs DISH - Which HD is better

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

LOL! You can always be depended on to do the parroting trick. And it is real cute when your feathers are fluffing around those pom-poms. :lol:

My HD PQ is as good to the eye as it was when I had Direct. I had a few days of my Hopper and HR24 connected to the same 73" DLP and sitting at the same roughly 10' away and couldn't tell enough difference to care.

And it isn't about 'fewer' or 'more' overall channels as I only watch a small subset of the Top 250, 3 Premiums and BB@Home that I subscribe to. Same group I watched on D*, but with the addition of Reelz in HD and Epix.

Clearly you should be a Dish customer! I'm in the same boat, but I am a Yankee fan, so I can't have Dish, gotta have the YES network!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

No you didn't.

Yes, I did. Given what channels are missing from DirecTV, your scenario is not plausible. Choose a better argument and you'll get a better response.
DTV = Digital Television

#53 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Yes, I did. Given what channels are missing from DirecTV, your scenario is not plausible. Choose a better argument and you'll get a better response.

Troll.

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

LOL! You can always be depended on to do the parroting trick. And it is real cute when your feathers are fluffing around those pom-poms. :lol:

My HD PQ is as good to the eye as it was when I had Direct. I had a few days of my Hopper and HR24 connected to the same 73" DLP and sitting at the same roughly 10' away and couldn't tell enough difference to care.

And it isn't about 'fewer' or 'more' overall channels as I only watch a small subset of the Top 250, 3 Premiums and BB@Home that I subscribe to. Same group I watched on D*, but with the addition of Reelz in HD and Epix.

Says the Dish sub attempting to justify their choices...

The difference is real and it is substantial. You routinely mention your Mits as if it is something worth bragging about. Hint: it isn't.
DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Most people agree that Directv has better hd quality, but it's not a dramatic difference. Again, what good is marginally better quality if you can't watch the channels that you want the most? Odd is you answering questions that aren't asked.

The vast majority of available HD channels are viewable through DirecTV. Far more than what Dish offers. What channels they do not yet have are of the bottom of the barrel variety.
DTV = Digital Television

#56 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

The difference is real and it is substantial. You routinely mention your Mits as if it is something worth bragging about. Hint: it isn't.

Oh, I get it now. Not only is your opinion on tv providers the only one that matters, you are also the expert on what television we should be watching it on! Good to know!

#57 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

The vast majority of available HD channels are viewable through DirecTV. Far more than what Dish offers. What channels they do not yet have are of the bottom of the barrel variety.

But what if Directv doesn't have the channels that someone wants more than other ones? Maybe he wants Reelz or Epix in hd? What then? Don't his choices matter?

#58 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

You know the definition of 'expert' is a former drip under pressure, right?

I don't have to justify a thing and I don't. When I had Direct I said I wanted Epix and Reelz in HD, as time went on it became apparent that they weren't going to any time soon. I figgered I waited long enough, so I switched.

Will I ever switch back? Sure, when it is solely in my best interest to do so, just as switching to Dish was solely in my best interest in both channel selection and of course, saving a few bucks for a bit.

My Mits is wonderful. I replace a 54" Panny plasma with it and am very pleased. Nice and bright, crisp, great blacks and motion artifacts. Is it the perfect set? No. But neither is yours.

The reason I mentioned it is the size. 73" from 10' away gives a darned good perspective as to how good the HD signal is.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Oh, I get it now. Not only is your opinion on tv providers the only one that matters, you are also the expert on what television we should be watching it on! Good to know!

Am I an expert on display technology and calibration? Yes. You're welcome.
DTV = Digital Television

#60 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

But what if Directv doesn't have the channels that someone wants more than other ones? Maybe he wants Reelz or Epix in hd? What then? Don't his choices matter?

Bottom dweller channels? Again, choose a better argument. Haha!
DTV = Digital Television

#61 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

You have once again shown your lack of comprehension skills. I didn't ask (or care) if you were an expert on the technology or calibration. I asked if you were an expert on what television we should be watching. There are MANY factors that go into that decision, most of which you don't have a clue about. The "best" display isn't the one that should be bought, it's the one that best fits the customer.

#62 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Makes more sense than most of your arguments. Am I supposed to care that they aren't the top tier, and if so why should I care if they have some shows I want to watch?

Epix has some European boxing that isn't shown other places, and blockbuster type movies that I like. Reelz has Bomb Girls and XIII that I enjoy watching.

I sub to Premier when I'm with D* usually, and Everything on Dish usually. Right now I have the T250, plus 3 premiums (no cinemax), BB@Home and subs to Netflix, HuluPlus and Amazon.

All because I want to watch what I want to watch.

I don't care about RSNs nor most sports.

And that is exactly why I can say I like both services and have used both at different times, always with excellent results. Of course, the results are slower on D*! :)

Lloyd

#63 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

It doesn't have to be a better argument to best a troll. The truth is good enough.

#64 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Yep, former drip under pressure is a very good description.

I've never seen anything that indicates you are an expert in those two fields other than your doing some research and calibrating your own tv. And of course, a bit of braying now and then...

Lloyd

#65 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

The big event coming up is well covered better by DirecTV than any other ..... The Master's. If you love golf baseball NFL or tennis you have to have DirecTV and yes they are all in HD.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#66 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

You have once again shown your lack of comprehension skills. I didn't ask (or care) if you were an expert on the technology or calibration. I asked if you were an expert on what television we should be watching. There are MANY factors that go into that decision, most of which you don't have a clue about. The "best" display isn't the one that should be bought, it's the one that best fits the customer.

Haha...you need to read your own post again. Being an expert in display technology and calibration means that I am well versed in ALL of the "many" factors you alluded to. So yes...I am an expert on what television a person should be watching.
DTV = Digital Television

#67 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

The big event coming up is well covered better by DirecTV than any other ..... The Master's. If you love golf baseball NFL or tennis you have to have DirecTV and yes they are all in HD.

Yes, D* does a better job of Masters coverage, but I didn't watch all the extra when I had D* so I won't miss it.

Of all the sports out there, the only one I watch wide awake is boxing. Most times that I watch golf I end up napping a bit during the match.

So no, I don't have to have D*! :)

Lloyd

#68 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Haha...you need to read your own post again. Being an expert in display technology and calibration means that I am well versed in ALL of the "many" factors you alluded to. So yes...I am an expert on what television a person should be watching.

So your immense intellect knows how much money someone has to spend even though you haven't met them? Your immense intellect knows how much room someone has to place their television in even though you have never been to their house? Your immense intellect knows nothing apparently, except how to troll.

#69 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

Chocolate Anyone?

• Super Moderators
  • 9,484 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Guys, please take your comments to each other to PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#70 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

It doesn't have to be a better argument to best a troll. The truth is good enough.

Why dont you quit chest pumping and list the channels you "have to have" that only Dish has so we can put an end to this pointless and ridiculous argument you two knuckleheads are having.:lol:

#71 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Why dont you quit chest pumping and list the channels you "have to have" that only Dish has so we can put an end to this pointless and ridiculous argument you two knuckleheads are having.:lol:

I already did. Please look back in this thread. It's right there. He rejected them, saying they weren't top tier channels. BTW, since you seem to have missed it, I have been playing devil's advocate by presenting an obvious argument against hoosier205s "position". The specific hd channels that Dish has that Directv doesn't isn't the point. The fact that there are channels that Dish has that Directv doesn't, and that someone may want those particular channels, is the point. They don't have to be top tiered channels, only available. He apparently doesn't think that fact matters.

#72 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hoosier never thinks anything matters but his opinion, as has been demonstrated across multiple threads in which he browbeats people over what his 'expert opinion' dictates.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#73 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

I already did.

Actually I went back and looked and I cant find it, there isnt a post where you listed them, but considering the whole point of this thread was PQ and not content its irrelevant..if you mean where you referred to one channel (Yes Network), I guess thats a list...:lol:

#74 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Post #57 in this thread. BTW, the op mentioned picture quality, but also wanted the PAC12 network, so clearly he was interested in channel selection, too.

#75 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Post #57 in this thread. BTW, the op mentioned picture quality, but also wanted the PAC12 network, so clearly he was interested in channel selection, too.

I guess I misread...I asked for your have to have channel list and you gave someone else's. Unless you refer to yourself in the third party as "he" in your own post.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...