Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR-34 installation

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   montyshaw

montyshaw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi,

I got a new HR-34 installed friday and moved my old hr-20 to the basement.
They hooked up the HR-34 to some thing called a cinema connection kit upstairs (where I have a wired ethernet 100Mbit internet) and set it up to use WiFi, and then downstairs the hr-20 has an internet cable running to something that has the coax cable running though it. So the old receiver can't get to the internet anymore.

Anyway I have a totally messed up situation now: 1) if I turn on that damn wifi thing upstairs, nothing using wi-fi (like phones, ipads, etc) can connect and even the wired internet gets screwed up (that took a couple of hours to diagnose). 2) neither recvr can connect to the internet. and of course MRV doesn't work either.

My TV from the dish works great, and is even better because they re-aimed the dish. But no VOD or MRV.

My question is, what the heck is this cinema wi-fi thing that is on the HR-34 and why does it mess everything up? And why can't I just plug both recvrs into the home network and be done with it? Does MRV not work over the home network? Why are they trying to connect them over the coax? WTF?

They of course are coming back out Monday, but I'd like to understand what they are doing to keep them from hosing up my home network again.

Thanks in Advance for any help.
]Monty[

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I think you have multiple IP connections to your DVRs and that's taking down the network. Or just an improper hookup.

HR20, which model is it?
100 or 700.
Press and hold Info on the remote and that will tell you.

Next question.
Is there anything plugged into the RJ45 jack on the HR34?
Or can you have a direct Ethernet cable back to the router at the HR34?

#3 OFFLINE   montyshaw

montyshaw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

That multiple connections thing may be right because I got the duplicate IP conflict message on a couple of devices before I unplugged the 'cinema connection wifi' thing.

The HR-20 is a 100.

The HR-34 has an ethernet cable to the 'cinema connection wifi' thing.

I have a wired ethernet connection available, but they did not hook it up.

Thanks for your help.
]Monty[

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

That multiple connections thing may be right because I got the duplicate IP conflict message on a couple of devices before I unplugged the 'cinema connection wifi' thing.

The HR-20 is a 100.

The HR-34 has an ethernet cable to the 'cinema connection wifi' thing.

I have a wired ethernet connection available, but they did not hook it up.

Thanks for your help.
]Monty[

If you have an RJ45 cable at the HR34 that goes back to your router you don't need the CCK. Get it out of the connections. The HR34 will do the network bridging for the HR20 too.

So all you want is a RJ45 line to the HR34 to your router. Unplug the CCK. Don't need the RJ45 into the CCK.

Reboot the HR34 and it should start working.

Now the HR20-100 is a unique connection. Both SAT lines must be connected.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=200573
Go to post 6 in this thread and you will see the unique wiring that has to be at the rear of it. If it doesn't match, the tech has to fix it.

Note: You can't just unplug the CCK. If the coax runs through it. I think.
If it has only one coax, then OK to unplug. If coax runs through it, it needs to by bypassed.

Edited by NR4P, 24 March 2013 - 11:07 AM.
Clarify

#5 OFFLINE   montyshaw

montyshaw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Well that wi fi thing aint getting turned untill someone shows me the dhcp and other settings for it. I know my network. I have never seen that setup screen. I think it using a static ip in the dhcp range. But since tv works with it off and the coax runs thru it, i am willing to give a direct coax connect a try.

Now to go read about the hr20

Monty

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well that wi fi thing aint getting turned untill someone shows me the dhcp and other settings for it. I know my network. I have never seen that setup screen. I think it using a static ip in the dhcp range. But since tv works with it off and the coax runs thru it, i am willing to give a direct coax connect a try.

Now to go read about the hr20

Monty

Monty, its pretty simple.
You don't need the CCK with the HR34. Techs are confused by this.
The HR34 acts as a bridge.

Just plug in the RJ45 into the HR34.
Reboot it.
It will work fine with a DHCP address, I've been doing it for over a year.*
You can go into the Menu Settings and Follow the Network connections if you so desire but it shouldn't be necessary.

The HR34 will then bridge the network via the coax to the DECA box going into the HR20, assuming it was connected properly.

*some will recommending reserving an address. I wouldn't do that unless you have problems later.

#7 OFFLINE   montyshaw

montyshaw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Yep. Hr34 working fine. Got vod. Got internet. The Hr20-100 downstairs doesnt have the spliter setup like that post you pointed me to. So its not showing up on the whole home thing. Will have the tech hook it up that way tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help.

Monty

#8 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I also have a few ?? on this. I am getting a genie install today. I have ethernet at that point (living room) but not in the den where my HR23 will go.

How will the HR23 need to be hooked up for whole home DVR/internet? (MRV??)
What is a DECA box?
Russ

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero!

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I also have a few ?? on this. I am getting a genie install today. I have ethernet at that point (living room) but not in the den where my HR23 will go.

What is a DECA box?

The installer should install a DECA (DirecTV to Ethernet Coax Adapter) on the HR23 to allow it to connect with the HR34. They'll also install a DECA where the HR34 is going in the living room that will bridge the coax network to your ethernet network for internet access.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

This is incorrect...the HR34 has a DECA interface built-in and so does not require a DECA adapter.

That is correct that it has a built in DECA but the installers have been told to install an external DECA anyways, at least that's the last that I heard on that subject.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,063 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

This is incorrect...the HR34 has a DECA interface built-in and so does not require a DECA adapter.

While this is true, it's still "policy" to use a CCK.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 410 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

That is correct that it has a built in DECA but the installers have been told to install an external DECA anyways, at least that's the last that I heard on that subject.

Just got a new install last week with an HR34, HR24 and three clients. No DECA installed, just the HR34 connected to my ethernet switch. It's worked flawlessly so far (knock wood).

#13 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

While this is true, it's still "policy" to use a CCK.

That's a different story...the CCK bridges the coax to the ethernet. It may be installed on the same coax as feeds the HR34, or on any other coax line. In any event, I don't consider the CCK a "DECA adapter". When I hear DECA adapter, I think of the small box (old ones white, new ones black) with coax in and out and an ethernet jumper.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,063 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

That's a different story...the CCK bridges the coax to the ethernet. It may be installed on the same coax as feeds the HR34, or on any other coax line. In any event, I don't consider the CCK a "DECA adapter". When I hear DECA adapter, I think of the small box (old ones white, new ones black) with coax in and out and an ethernet jumper.

Might be time "to adjust":
http://www.solidsign...ply-(decabb1r0)
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

So.....no need for DECA or CCK since I have an ethernet switch right at the reciever in the living room? The den reciever (HR23) only needs the RG6 from the splitter?
Russ

#16 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 410 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

So.....no need for DECA or CCK since I have an ethernet switch right at the reciever in the living room? The den reciever (HR23) only needs the RG6 from the splitter?

That's how mine is, although with an HR24. Don't think that matters.

#17 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Might be time "to adjust":
http://www.solidsign...ply-(decabb1r0)

I hear you but even then, it is not functioning as an "adapter" but as CCK (and is even sold as such). If you use the supplied power supply, it can't even be connected to a receiver.

I still think of these as CCKs:

Wired and Wireless

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#18 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Correct...the HR34 can bridge the DECA (coax) and ethernet segments itself.

Current setup:

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yes, along with a DECA to connect it to the network.

Correct...the HR34 can bridge the DECA (coax) and ethernet segments itself.

Yes it can, we all agree on that, just don't be surprised if the tech insists on installing a broadband DECA (just a regular DECA with a power supply) anyway.

#20 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 410 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yes, along with a DECA to connect it to the network.

Yes it can, we all agree on that, just don't be surprised if the tech insists on installing a broadband DECA (just a regular DECA with a power supply) anyway.

I'd specifically asked my installer about it - because that's how it was wired when I previously had D* - and he said, "We don't do it that way anymore." One less point of failure as far as I'm concerned, so happy to have it installed without.

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'd specifically asked my installer about it - because that's how it was wired when I previously had D* - and he said, "We don't do it that way anymore." One less point of failure as far as I'm concerned, so happy to have it installed without.

Good to hear they're telling installers they don't need it anymore.

#22 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

What is a DECA box?

Once you connect the Ethernet to the Genie or a CCK, your coax network will become the carrier for Internet and Whole Home DVR service for your DirecTV equipment.

For the sake of this discussion the DECA is essentially an intelligent switch. Coax containing DirecTV programming and Internet/MRV data will come into the DECA. The DECA will split it so that DirecTV programming is sent to the Coax output and the Internet/MRV data is sent to the Ethernet output. Both coax and Ethernet outputs will be connected to the HR23.

#23 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

OK, plans changed. I can get the HR44 but not for a few weeks. Canceled the HR34 install for today but still getting my dish moved today.

So I have an HR21 in the living room with ethernet available and an HR23 in the den with no ethernet. What do I need to enable whole home DVR for now?? Just so I am clear.
Russ

#24 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Assuming you are already set up for SWM, the simplest solution is to bridge the ethernet to the coax. That can be done with the kit VOS linked to, or either of the devices I linked to. If you use the wireless CCK device, it can be installed inline with a DVR on an existing coax run. The kit or the wired CCK device will require a dedicated coax run from a splitter and an ethernet connection to the router.

In addition, you'll need a DECA attached to the HR23 (the HR24 has coax networking support built-in), since I don't think the wireless CCK will do wired ethernet and wireless at the same time (someone may correct me on that point).

Current setup:

#25 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

OK, DTV is sending me 2 DECA devices. But I still need the CCK? My guess is that can go in my cable junction box where my DSL router is also.
Russ

Protected By... spam firewall...And...