Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR-34 installation

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'd specifically asked my installer about it - because that's how it was wired when I previously had D* - and he said, "We don't do it that way anymore." One less point of failure as far as I'm concerned, so happy to have it installed without.

Good to hear they're telling installers they don't need it anymore.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I also have a few ?? on this. I am getting a genie install today. I have ethernet at that point (living room) but not in the den where my HR23 will go.

How will the HR23 need to be hooked up for whole home DVR/internet? (MRV??)
What is a DECA box?

Once you connect the Ethernet to the Genie or a CCK, your coax network will become the carrier for Internet and Whole Home DVR service for your DirecTV equipment.

For the sake of this discussion the DECA is essentially an intelligent switch. Coax containing DirecTV programming and Internet/MRV data will come into the DECA. The DECA will split it so that DirecTV programming is sent to the Coax output and the Internet/MRV data is sent to the Ethernet output. Both coax and Ethernet outputs will be connected to the HR23.

#23 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

OK, plans changed. I can get the HR44 but not for a few weeks. Canceled the HR34 install for today but still getting my dish moved today.

So I have an HR21 in the living room with ethernet available and an HR23 in the den with no ethernet. What do I need to enable whole home DVR for now?? Just so I am clear.
Russ

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero!

#24 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Assuming you are already set up for SWM, the simplest solution is to bridge the ethernet to the coax. That can be done with the kit VOS linked to, or either of the devices I linked to. If you use the wireless CCK device, it can be installed inline with a DVR on an existing coax run. The kit or the wired CCK device will require a dedicated coax run from a splitter and an ethernet connection to the router.

In addition, you'll need a DECA attached to the HR23 (the HR24 has coax networking support built-in), since I don't think the wireless CCK will do wired ethernet and wireless at the same time (someone may correct me on that point).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#25 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

OK, DTV is sending me 2 DECA devices. But I still need the CCK? My guess is that can go in my cable junction box where my DSL router is also.
Russ

#26 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

So I found that I only need the CCk at the router if I want attached to internet. If I don't, I will only lose on demand correct?
Russ

#27 OFFLINE   montyshaw

montyshaw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

OK

Well another installer came by and got me all fixed up. First he gave up on the HR-20 and gave me a HR-24 to replace it and then just hooked it up to the coax.

I showed him the diagram that someone posted about for the HR-20 using a splitter, but he said he would just upgrade me to a hr24 if I didn't mind losing the old recordings etc. I said nope, so I got a HR-24. I think it was a refurb he had on the truck. It works great and has 1TB of space so yippee.

Upstairs he added another of the DECA things, with the Ethernet going to the wired network, and he added another power to coax thing. I didn't get what he was doing there, but it works fine, and doesn't mess with my network. He also took the CCK with him, as I told him it would be a much harder install with it because I was going to bug him to death about how it was set up. He said it wasn't needed anyway with the wired Ethernet.

I am still curious and may someday just plug the network cable in from the wall to the recvr just to see if all the other stuff was necessary. But for right now I am happy and things are working fantastic.

Dang I have 6 HD movies on that HR34 with a few other HD shows, and am at 95% free. Wow. Much bigger and faster than the old hr-20.

Thanks for everyone's help. (even thought this thread did get a little hijacked - I hope it helped someone else too)

]Monty[

#28 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I showed him the diagram that someone posted about for the HR-20 using a splitter, but he said he would just upgrade me to a hr24 if I didn't mind losing the old recordings etc. I said nope, so I got a HR-24. I think it was a refurb he had on the truck. It works great and has 1TB of space so yippee.

HR24's have only 500GB drives, the HR34/HR44 are the units with 1TB drives.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#29 OFFLINE   montyshaw

montyshaw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hmm.. well I guess for free I can't complain. It's better than the old hr20. The installer did tell me it had 1TB tho. I guess he wasn't the expert he told me he was. :)

Thanks for the info.
]Monty[

Protected By... spam firewall...And...