Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Poised To Buy Half Of TV Guide, Partner With Lionsgate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

By Nellie Andreeva (03.22.2013)
@ http://www.deadline....with-lionsgate/

EXCLUSIVE: CBS Corp, which already owns/co-owns broadcast networks CBS and the CW, pay cable network Showtime, and international TV channels, is adding a domestic basic cable network to its portfolio. I’ve learned that it is nearing a deal to acquire JP Morgan’s One Equity Partners’ interest in TV Guide, the company that encompasses the TV Guide Network, recently rebranded as TVGN, and TVGuide.com. With the deal, which could close as early as next week, CBS will become a 50–50 partner with TV Guide co-owner Lionsgate Entertainment, which originally acquired TV Guide in February 2009 for $241.6 million. I hear CBS will play slightly less than the $122.4 million One Equity Partners shelled out for 49% of TV Guide in June 2009 with an option to increase its stake by 1%.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

By Nellie Andreeva (03.22.2013)
@ http://www.deadline....with-lionsgate/

TV Guide is junk.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I was actually going to ask (in all seriousness), is TV Guide really relevant anymore? I'm sure there are still people out there that don't have an interactive guide, but its got to be a limited market, since it doesn't require a DVR.

#4 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

I was actually going to ask (in all seriousness), is TV Guide really relevant anymore? I'm sure there are still people out there that don't have an interactive guide, but its got to be a limited market, since it doesn't require a DVR.

TV Guide, the magazine, is a separate business. This deal is for the TV channel and the website only. And if you haven't tuned into this channel in the last few years it isn't a programming/channel guide anymore it's mostly reality type programming and entertainment news.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

This is the first jump by CBS into a non-sports, non-premium cable channel. Presumably the plan will be to compete with NBCU's USA and Bravo. It has significant meaning in that CBS to date has focused on the broadcast channel and Showtime. It is the only major broadcast network that did not have a cable channel under its corporate umbrella. The company does own 50% of The CW, also a broadcast network.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Sure glad it has nothing to do with the magazine which I subscribe to and enjoy reading. Right now the web site is very integrated with the magazine so it will be interesting how things change if this deal goes through.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall