Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Streaming sports?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have been reading some of the other threads about the rising cost of TV in general. I could probably live without directv if I could somehow figure out how to stream sports. By that I mean, ESPN etc. Does anyone know if this is possible? My internet provider blocks espn3 because I don't subscribe to time warner tv packages. Everything else I watch I could use Hulu or some other means. It's the sports that keep me hanging on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Disney is tying the rights to ESPN3 and their other watch product to the renewal period. So DirecTV won't be able to get it until the contract is up for renewal.

You can also try switching ISPs. I don't know if it's available in your area, but unlike Time Warner, Verizon allows internet only subscribers to get ESPN3's content. I think AT&T does too.

#3 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

I am limited on internet. AT&t is available but not high speed. I am just getting tired of the high bill from directv. I am going to drop to the lowest package I guess. Doesn't look like I have very many options.

#4 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Buy a Roku box & a subscription to your favoriate sport for fifty bucks a season.....

#5 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Buy a Roku box & a subscription to your favoriate sport for fifty bucks a season.....

Would that include, for example, all 10 EPL matches on a weekend?

#6 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Disney is tying the rights to ESPN3 and their other watch product to the renewal period. So DirecTV won't be able to get it until the contract is up for renewal.

You can also try switching ISPs. I don't know if it's available in your area, but unlike Time Warner, Verizon allows internet only subscribers to get ESPN3's content. I think AT&T does too.

That's WatchESPN. ESPN3 is available to whoever has a decent internet connection. Sometime WatchESPN and ESPN3 carry the same game.
It's only tv!

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

That's WatchESPN. ESPN3 is available to whoever has a decent internet connection. Sometime WatchESPN and ESPN3 carry the same game.

Huh? Espn still says you need an affiliated provider for espn3.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Sports is the biggest reason I am not likely to completely cut the cord anytime soon (I've made a few hacks at it in the meantime). For example my wife and I watch:

Purdue football and men's basketball - Big 10 Network
Twins baseball - Fox Sports North
Bears football - anyway we can it without Sunday Ticket (living in Vikings country we do get a fair number of Bears games on Sundays).

The 1st two are only available to cable/satellite subscribers if you want to see them live. The 3rd can sometimes be seen live OTA.

So - if you must have your sports, cut back to 1 receiver or DVR and go Roku elsewhere.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

You need a participating ISP or cable provider to get ESPN3 content. If you subscribe to one of them you can access it any place you have a decent connection by logging into your account. If the connection you are on is a residential one supplied by one of the participating ISPs, you don't need to log in unless you want to watch the streams of ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. The largest exception is Time Warner who requires a video subscription to get the ESPN3 content that every other participating ISP makes available to internet only subscribers.

Disney is only making it available during contract renewals so DirecTV won't be able to get it until the contract is up for renewal.

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

It would be nice if the providers would offer an all sports only package.

#11 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

The price on something like that would be almost $200 a month minimum.
Take EI CI ST Soccer NBA NCAA cricket and ppv.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

Rogers has the super sports pack that gives you every out-of-market game.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#13 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Would that include, for example, all 10 EPL matches on a weekend?

Not sure - checkout their website for channel info.

#14 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

WatchESPN is only available to customers with video subscriptions from a given provider. ESPN3 is tied only to having an account with an ISP, which means that if you want to stream ESPN and ESPN2, you must have a video account.

So far, it has meant that you needed a video account AND get your internet service from your video provider. I've been hoping that ESPN would open up WatchESPN to DirecTV (that is, if DirecTV is even interested) but since DirecTV is not an ISP, they would have to modify how they normally handle it.

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have been reading some of the other threads about the rising cost of TV in general. I could probably live without directv if I could somehow figure out how to stream sports. By that I mean, ESPN etc. Does anyone know if this is possible? My internet provider blocks espn3 because I don't subscribe to time warner tv packages. Everything else I watch I could use Hulu or some other means. It's the sports that keep me hanging on.

Can ISPs legally block certain websites from their customers?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

My internet provider blocks espn3 because I don't subscribe to time warner tv packages.

Can ISPs legally block certain websites from their customers?

Well, it's not that they're technically blocking the website. Anyone can navigate to espn3.com, but only authorized users can access all of the content. This is not unlike Netflix or Hulu, except that in those cases you're subscribing directly to the content. With ESPN3/WatchESPN you're dependent on your provider having subscribed to the content for you.

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well, it's not that they're technically blocking the website. Anyone can navigate to espn3.com, but only authorized users can access all of the content. This is not unlike Netflix or Hulu, except that in those cases you're subscribing directly to the content. With ESPN3/WatchESPN you're dependent on your provider having subscribed to the content for you.

Right. The ISP is not blocking anything. ESPN is doing the authentication. If you are not a customer of someone who pays for the content for you, you don't get in.

In the case of Time Warner. If you have Time Warner *and* Fios in your house, for example, you can use Time Warner internet to access all the ESPN3 content via your Fios credentials.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...