Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Out of Contract; Looking to Maximize Value

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   homanga

homanga

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Obviously I am new here and there are lots of wonderful resources I've skimmed through in the past and today.

Simply my question is this, I am out of contract with DirecTV and want to maximize the value I am getting out of my package/situation etc. I signed up nearly 4 years ago and really haven't ever changed my package significantly or equipment. I see that they are changing equipment protection policy in May, should I wait until then to contact about renewing contract and getting upgrades/discounts to equipment/packages

My current plan/equipment is as such:

Equip - HR23-700 and H23-600 (DVR unit runs terribly slow at times and is frustrating)

Plan -
CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC 02/25 - 03/24 $71.99
DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK 02/25 - 03/24 $4.99
Advanced Receiver-HD 02/25 - 03/24 $10.00
Advanced Receiver-DVR 02/25 - 03/24 $10.00
Additional TV 02/26 $6.00
Primary TV 02/26 $6.00 (Free Currently)

Total - 98.94 (with 5$ discount for att bundle)

So more or less I'd like to keep pretty much the same package, but would really like to get an upgrade in equipment (old boxes seem like they could be much faster etc). This is my first time ever renewing with DirecTV so just wanting to maximize the opportunity with the situation and know what I should be looking for to get discount/credits wise and what my options are with equipment. Obviously the channel package I have no longer exists which isn't great either.

Thanks for the help, I'll add all the details I left out as they are brought up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Best bet is to call and ask. See if you can get the Genie and some discounts. Never hurts to ask.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#3 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Obviously I am new here and there are lots of wonderful resources I've skimmed through in the past and today.

Simply my question is this, I am out of contract with DirecTV and want to maximize the value I am getting out of my package/situation etc. I signed up nearly 4 years ago and really haven't ever changed my package significantly or equipment. I see that they are changing equipment protection policy in May, should I wait until then to contact about renewing contract and getting upgrades/discounts to equipment/packages

Equip - HR23-700 and H23-600 (DVR unit runs terribly slow at times and is frustrating)

Plan -

So more or less I'd like to keep pretty much the same package, but would really like to get an upgrade in equipment (old boxes seem like they could be much faster etc). This is my first time ever renewing with DirecTV so just wanting to maximize the opportunity with the situation and know what I should be looking for to get discount/credits wise and what my options are with equipment. Obviously the channel package I have no longer exists which isn't great either.

Thanks for the help, I'll add all the details I left out as they are brought up.

Hi welcome to the forums :)

I would like to help with the HD-DVR you have that is acting slow as you mentioned it is frustrating. I will let someone else tackle on your other concerns (really though it is best to call 1-800-531-5000 and speak with an agent). The following may help your HD-DVR with the slowness (and forgive me if something is wrong here as I am going off memory):
On your remote press Menu. Then go to where it says settings and help. Afterwards select settings. Next go to display then select preferences. You should see where it says Scrolling Effects which is a feature in the guide. If on turn it off. Okay next under preferences is video. Select video. From there make sure native mode is turned off. Native mode is not recommended to be turned on by DirecTV but what it does is change the resolutions automatically on the receiver depending on the programming (which slows down the dvr). Also you can try deleting shows off the dvr you have already seen to help free up the hard drive. Typically though, the HD-DVRS are going to be slower than other types of receivers as they are more complicated machinery. Hope that helps.

#4 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

:-/

#5 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

And clear nvram cache on ch 1, doing the red red blue blue yellow green buttons till you see the "nvram cleared" on the bottom of the screen, in white text which could be harder to see.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#6 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Plan -

Just wanted to know if you had an update. I am in the same spot you are in and haven't had much luck.

#7 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I was off contract and got the Genie, one client, Cinema Connection Kit (did not need) and a new SWiM dish for $49 (install fee) I could have got three clients (I needed one). I do have an SD set with component inputs it could connect to, but that is in the guest bedroom and is used little. I did not see the need for an extra $6 monthly charge.

Edited by machavez00, 28 March 2013 - 01:45 PM.

spam firewall