Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
750 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Can they please make the screens a bit bigger? Theres a lot of wasted space at the top.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#502 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I for one am happy with this addition. I don't actually get some of these channels with my D* subscription as I have the family plan in addition to the various sports packages that I also subscribe to.. I can now watch a few of the sports channels that I don't receive in a little box. Not great I guess but not awful either.

Edited by fireponcoal, 27 May 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#503 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Can they please make the screens a bit bigger? Theres a lot of wasted space at the top.

Like the look in HD for sure, but have to agree with you that the screens could be enlarged.

#504 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

Probably not without having fewer screens or changing the layout from 4x2 to 3x3. They are maxed out with the 4x2 horizontally. If they could do 3x3 and leave one for graphics, having 8 screens, they could make them bigger.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#505 OFFLINE   chough95

chough95

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

So with Speed becoming FS1, Fuel most likely becoming FS2, Fox Soccer becoming FXX, and FMC becoming FXM, is it safe to assume that there will be channel lineup changes?  I can imagine that D* wouldn't keep FXX in the sports area, and that they would want the two FS channels to be together.  Since it appears that a restructuring may be necessary, this is what I would like to see.  What do you guys think?

205 - Sports Mix

206 - ESPN (Same)

207 - ESPN 2

208 - ESPN U (Same)

209 - ESPNews

210 - FS1

211 - FS2

212 - NBCSN

213 - MLB (Same)

214 - NFL

215 - NHL (Same)

216 - NBA (Same)

217 - Tennis (Same)

218 - Golf (Same)

219-228 - Overflow of ESPN / NBCSN / MLB

When I look through the guide and see 210/211, I see wasted channels that could become prime numbers considering their proximity to arguably the most recognizable network in the world.  How often is there actual overflow?  Not enough for me to shell out two stellar locations.

219-228 could also be used in the fall for the EPL Extra Time package from NBCSN when needed.  This system overall would group all of the major sports networks together and, in my opinion, basically make it easier to navigate than having to switch from the 200's / 600's.

I also agree 100% that Gol TV needs to be re-added with the demise of Fox Soccer.  FS1 / FS2 will continue to cover the champions league, and NBCSN will have tons of coverage of the EPL, but I'm still missing the Bundesliga that Gol TV covers.

#506 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I would do everything to see this channel in the Sports Pack.

Italia International TV, to debut on July 2013.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#507 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

So with Speed becoming FS1, Fuel most likely becoming FS2, Fox Soccer becoming FXX, and FMC becoming FXM, is it safe to assume that there will be channel lineup changes?  I can imagine that D* wouldn't keep FXX in the sports area, and that they would want the two FS channels to be together.  Since it appears that a restructuring may be necessary, this is what I would like to see.  What do you guys think?

205 - Sports Mix

206 - ESPN (Same)

207 - ESPN 2

208 - ESPN U (Same)

209 - ESPNews

210 - FS1

211 - FS2

212 - NBCSN

213 - MLB (Same)

214 - NFL

215 - NHL (Same)

216 - NBA (Same)

217 - Tennis (Same)

218 - Golf (Same)

When I look through the guide and see 210/211, I see wasted channels that could become prime numbers considering their proximity to arguably the most recognizable network in the world.  How often is there actual overflow?  Not enough for me to shell out two stellar locations.

219-228 could also be used in the fall for the EPL Extra Time package from NBCSN when needed.  This system overall would group all of the major sports networks together and, in my opinion, basically make it easier to navigate than having to switch from the 200's / 600's.

I also agree 100% that Gol TV needs to be re-added with the demise of Fox Soccer.  FS1 / FS2 will continue to cover the champions league, and NBCSN will have tons of coverage of the EPL, but I'm still missing the Bundesliga that Gol TV covers.

Directv has tried to group the overflows / alts near the main channels they are part of. Some FSN sub feeds are just fitted in where ever. And big ten has them very near the main channel.

Don't move  NBCSN, NFL, ESPN 2, There may be more to keeping them as is.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#508 OFFLINE   Robin112

Robin112

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Since fox soccer turnin into fxx then am guessin they movin that channel into the 200s so that makes a a free spot for a sports channel to be added well it should be fox deportes and be put hd

#509 OFFLINE   chough95

chough95

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Directv has tried to group the overflows / alts near the main channels they are part of. Some FSN sub feeds are just fitted in where ever. And big ten has them very near the main channel.

Don't move  NBCSN, NFL, ESPN 2, There may be more to keeping them as is.

That's understandable, but I just don't see the need to use two channels in such good spots as overflow / alt. that are used only a handful of times a year.  As for moving those three, I don't really see how moving them would hurt that much.  I mean if people turn to 212 for NFL and see hockey / soccer / another NBCSN show, I'm sure that they would have no problem easily finding the new channel.  They moved the NBCSN from 603 to 220 without any hassle, and to me it just makes sense for ESPN / ESPN 2 and FS1 / FS2 to be next to each other.

Edited by chough95, 28 May 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#510 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

On the new sports mix are you supposed to be able to select different windows? My arrow keys invoke double play, TV apps, quick tune or back.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#511 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

That's understandable, but I just don't see the need to use two channels in such good spots as overflow / alt. that are used only a handful of times a year. As for moving those three, I don't really see how moving them would hurt that much. I mean if people turn to 212 for NFL and see hockey / soccer / another NBCSN show, I'm sure that they would have no problem easily finding the new channel. They moved the NBCSN from 603 to 220 without any hassle, and to me it just makes sense for ESPN / ESPN 2 and FS1 / FS2 to be next to each other.

Most channels have it in their contract as to which channel they're on, so I don't see NFL moving anytime soon.

On the new sports mix are you supposed to be able to select different windows? My arrow keys invoke double play, TV apps, quick tune or back.

Yes you should be able to, it may take a few seconds to load though.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 28 May 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#512 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

The HD Sports Mix (channel 205/600) is up now since the French Open has ended for today.

Obviously, some fine tuning/refinement is needed, but a definite step in the right direction and is much better than the previous SD Sports Mix.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#513 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Obviously, some fine tuning/refinement is needed, but a definite step in the right direction and is much better than the previous SD Sports Mix.

What fine tuning did you have in mind?

Looks like they are going to share 205 with the big events like Grand Slam tennis, masters, etc.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#514 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

What fine tuning did you have in mind?

As others have mentioned, there's far too much space at the top of the screen. There needs to be a better use of that essentially unused space (and I have no doubts there will be), be it increased screen size or additional screens or...(anything but banner ads)!

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#515 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Probably not without having fewer screens or changing the layout from 4x2 to 3x3. They are maxed out with the 4x2 horizontally. If they could do 3x3 and leave one for graphics, having 8 screens, they could make them bigger.

Looking at it again, there's room to put 4 news channels at the top.

#516 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

That's understandable, but I just don't see the need to use two channels in such good spots as overflow / alt. that are used only a handful of times a year.  As for moving those three, I don't really see how moving them would hurt that much.  I mean if people turn to 212 for NFL and see hockey / soccer / another NBCSN show, I'm sure that they would have no problem easily finding the new channel.  They moved the NBCSN from 603 to 220 without any hassle, and to me it just makes sense for ESPN / ESPN 2 and FS1 / FS2 to be next to each other.

The ESPN alt slots are a good fit for FS1 and FS2 and 214 CBS sports?

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 28 May 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#517 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

Most channels have it in their contract as to which channel they're on, so I don't see NFL moving anytime soon.

Yes you should be able to, it may take a few seconds to load though.

Ok it took a little bit but it did load then. Systems pretty slow, needs an NVRAM clear or reboot soon,

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#518 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

205 - Sports Mix

206 - ESPN (Same)

207 - ESPN 2

208 - ESPN U (Same)

209 - ESPNews

210 - FS1

211 - FS2

212 - NBCSN

213 - MLB (Same)

214 - NFL

215 - NHL (Same)

216 - NBA (Same)

217 - Tennis (Same)

218 - Golf (Same)

With more regionals and multiregionals and nationals to consider, there seems to be a proliferation of sports programming which makes me think of a channels realignment being of great potential. That is expensive and timely. But it could happen anyway. Last major one was in July 1999. I notice the 900s are absent and that DirecTV could move the premium-movie progammers over there to open up a 100-block in the 500s and better organize the 600s. This 200-block of numbers can cover regional, multiregional, and national sports programmers.

Getting back to the topic of "HD Anticipation," I think almost all of us are not looking for anything until at least the arrival of the third quarter of 2013. So, perhaps another month needs to pass, and in late June we'll kick this thread back into gear discussing whether [perhaps longshot] Fox Movie Channel HD is on the radar and whether [overdue] Pac-12 Network HD (national) is on the verge of making a deal for carriage with DirecTV. I think, before the arrival of D14 in 2014, no more than 15 programmers' linear HD will get added; but I also consider that we may see no greater than 10. I don't know what DirecTV has in mind (as though we may see additions numbering no greater than 5), but I've posted anticipation of the likes of Style Network HD and The Hub HD and GSN HD—as well as noting the April 2012 contractual agreement to expand Encore programming—with probability in getting added by DirecTV.

I hope, without having to wait as long as another four weeks, that we'll get something more in the way of news concerning high-definition additions with DirecTV.

#519 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

The yellow highlight that is around the selected channel and controlled by the arrow keys sometimes doesn't load right away. If it doesn't load at all then try a reset and that should fix it.

#520 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

With more regionals and multiregionals and nationals to consider, there seems to be a proliferation of sports programming which makes me think of a channels realignment being of great potential. That is expensive and timely. But it could happen anyway. Last major one was in July 1999. I notice the 900s are absent and that DirecTV could move the premium-movie progammers over there to open up a 100-block in the 500s and better organize the 600s. This 200-block of numbers can cover regional, multiregional, and national sports programmers.

Weren't the 900's being used for local channels on older receivers, are they still there?

I don't think the movie channels are going to move, but they were in the 900's once during the USSB days. They can move the music channels to the 900's and then they can expand the sports channels in the 700 and 800's if needed.

#521 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Weren't the 900's being used for local channels on older receivers, are they still there?

I don't think the movie channels are going to move, but they were in the 900's once during the USSB days. They can move the music channels to the 900's and then they can expand the sports channels in the 700 and 800's if needed.

I don't know if that still applies. It used to be the 800s and 900s for locals (before mapping to same over-the-air channel numbers).

#522 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Getting back to the topic of "HD Anticipation," I think almost all of us are not looking for anything until at least the arrival of the third quarter of 2013. So, perhaps another month needs to pass, and in late June we'll kick this thread back into gear discussing whether [perhaps longshot] Fox Movie Channel HD is on the radar and whether [overdue] Pac-12 Network HD (national) is on the verge of making a deal for carriage with DirecTV. I think, before the arrival of D14 in 2014, no more than 15 programmers' linear HD will get added; but I also consider that we may see no greater than 10. I don't know what DirecTV has in mind (as though we may see additions numbering no greater than 5), but I've posted anticipation of the likes of Style Network HD and The Hub HD and GSN HD—as well as noting the April 2012 contractual agreement to expand Encore programming—with probability in getting added by DirecTV.

I hope, without having to wait as long as another four weeks, that we'll get something more in the way of news concerning high-definition additions with DirecTV.

there are also some RSN's that may get added but how much space has been saved for them?

CSN Philly HD

TCN Philly (full time? game only HD?) (dead if fox can get Philadelphia Phillies and 76ers?)

FS Philly likely if there is one.

CSNNW HD

CSS HD

CSN Houston HD

dodgers channel HD

Cubs maybe moving to there own channel, wgn cubs games moving to CLTV / wgn america local feed?, WGN sports channel, CSN Chicago need to use there overflow feeds alot more may happen as well.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 29 May 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#523 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

there are also some RSN's that may get added but how much space has been saved for them?

CSN Philly HD

TCN Philly (full time? game only HD?) (dead if fox can get Philadelphia Phillies and 76ers?)

FS Philly likely if there is one.

CSNNW HD

CSS HD

CSN Houston HD

dodgers channel HD

Cubs maybe moving to there own channel, wgn cubs games moving to CLTV / wgn america local feed?, WGN sports channel, CSN Chicago need to use there overflow feeds alot more may happen as well.

Will DT ever upgrade FS Wisconsin to full time? Why are some RSN's part time and not full time??

Edited by ep1974, 29 May 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#524 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

MavTV June 10th.  Sixto anything in test?

http://www.nationals...ounce-tv-slate/

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#525 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Being a news junkie rather than a sports junkie (I dropped all sports programming when they hit me with the extra sports fees), I'd like News Mix to go HD as well, and also want CNNI, C-SPAN & C-SPAN2 in HD.  Yes, I know the talking-heads-don't-need-HD argument, but I also remember being perfectly happy listening to Chick Hearn and Laker radio back in the day.  To each their own.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...