Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
750 replies to this topic

#641 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,909 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

ESPN 3 coming to an end means room for one more HD channel.

At the end of the year, which doesn't help is this Quarter.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#642 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Wow a "new" channel added as MPEG2 SD! What a bonehead move!!!!

Not for the millions of SD receiver owners out there.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#643 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 938 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

At the end of the year, which doesn't help is this Quarter.

But it's a help.

:coffee

#644 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

While the millions of HD receiver owners get screwed.

The point is they should have launched both.  Hopefully they will "soon".   :)

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 12 June 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#645 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

ESPN 3D to end by end of year. maybe we can get a new HD SLOT to replace it.

http://deadspin.com/...wn-by-512855045

Wow. Buh-bye 3D broadcast/cable TV. If the market isn't there in sports. . .

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#646 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Its a NEW channel.  They didn't have it before, why should they care if they have it now.  A *NEW* channel is perfect candidate for updated transmission / encoding technology.  MPEG2 only receivers aren't really missing something they never had in the first place! 

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#647 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Look at it from MavTV's perspective, you're still a relatively new station with very limited distribution, you just lost your distribution on FiOS last year, Dish is only offering it in HD as part of the Blockbuster and Outdoors packages, and others are only offering it in a sports pack. What do you want, nationwide SD distribution in a base package on DirecTV instantly giving you about 20 million more homes as well as a presence in every market, or HD only limiting your reach as not everyone has HD service and many times those that do, don't have HD service on every TV in their house. Plus keep in mind, not everyone refuses to watch something simply because it's not in HD.

Looking at the transponder maps today, bandwidth wise, MavTV ended up replacing the infomercial channel that was on channels 89 and 325 (which is likely why when it was first added the initial schedule shown was all blocks of paid programming), while the existing infomercial channel that was on channel 219 on the 119 satellite moved to channel 310. Which means the bandwidth that was used by the SD Sports Mix (a video stream, 8 audio channels as well as a data stream for the interactive functions) is still up for grabs for another potential SD launch or two.

Not to mention, what would you rather have? MavTV launching in HD taking up bandwidth from other potential major launches later this year, or DirecTV reserving the space in the chance they come to terms with channels like CSN Houston, Northwest, Pac 12, CSN Philly or even other more widely requested channels like FXM, Fox Soccer Plus 24/7, Sundance, OuterMax, TVGN, Ovation, MTV2, Fuse, WE, UP, Style, Sprout, The Hub, Military Channel, etc. (Remember the complaints in this thread a few months ago when it was OWN that launched in HD?)

Edited by KyL416, 12 June 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#648 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm personally bugged by Directv's ENTIRE channel lineup, except for the local channels since I really like how those correlate with the stations identity. 

As for 221-299 being full, one of the infomercial channels could easily be moved.  I'd put MavTV at...

263 (currently infomercial) so that it is close to TCM and AMC (if the focus of the channel is more older movies)

288 (currently infomercial) so that it is close to Destination America (since the channel is branded as American Real)

309 (currently empty) closer to TV Land (if they show more things like Bonanza which they are doing tomorrow)

607 once speed / FS1 is hopefully moved to the 200/210's (if the network turn out to be more sports related)

Really? 

#649 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Look at it from MavTV's perspective, you're still a relatively new station with very limited distribution, you just lost your distribution on FiOS last year, Dish is only offering it in HD as part of the Blockbuster and Outdoors packages, and others are only offering it in a sports pack. What do you want, nationwide SD distribution in a base package on DirecTV instantly giving you about 20 million more homes as well as a presence in every market, or HD only limiting your reach as not everyone has HD service and many times those that do, don't have HD service on every TV in their house. Plus keep in mind, not everyone refuses to watch something simply because it's not in HD.

Looking at the transponder maps today, bandwidth wise, MavTV ended up replacing the infomercial channel that was on channels 89 and 325 (which is likely why when it was first added the initial schedule shown was all blocks of paid programming), while the existing infomercial channel that was on channel 219 on the 119 satellite moved to channel 310. Which means the bandwidth that was used by the SD Sports Mix (a video stream, 8 audio channels as well as a data stream for the interactive functions) is still up for grabs for another potential SD launch or two.

Not to mention, what would you rather have? MavTV launching in HD taking up bandwidth from other potential major launches later this year, or DirecTV reserving the space in the chance they come to terms with channels like CSN Houston, Northwest, Pac 12, CSN Philly or even other more widely requested channels like FXM, Fox Soccer Plus 24/7, Sundance, OuterMax, TVGN, Ovation, MTV2, Fuse, WE, UP, Style, Sprout, The Hub, Military Channel, etc. (Remember the complaints in this thread a few months ago when it was OWN that launched in HD?)

They can still launch it in SD... but MPEG4 SD makes more fiscal (and technological) sense (remember bandwidth = money).  NASA is MPEG4 and so is GOD TV and a few other SD stations, right?  They can authorize it in a base package, just transmit it in MPEG4.  Are there any SD receivers capable of MPEG4?  Is the D12 receiver able to decode MPEG4?  I imagine the D11 and all prior ones would not, but isn't the D12 the "newest" SD receiver? 

Again its a new channel.  They ain't missing it if they never had it before.  DirecTV never updated the SD guide to look like the HD guide (in SD of course).  Even for branding you'd think they would update the color scheme to the darker look vs the light whites and baby blues.  If they don't pay much attention to that aspect, why pay any attention to adding new content in an old format?

But yeah it's not HD so I don't care.  but true, I'd rather see the likes of Fuse, Oxygen, We, The Hub, GSN, FXM, Sprout, Style, MTV2, Sundance, Ovation, Reelz, and others in HD first.

Edited by cypherx, 12 June 2013 - 03:48 PM.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#650 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

They can still launch it in SD... but MPEG4 SD makes more fiscal (and technological) sense (remember bandwidth = money).  NASA is MPEG4 and so is GOD TV and a few other SD stations, right?  They can authorize it in a base package, just transmit it in MPEG4.  Are there any SD receivers capable of MPEG4?  Is the D12 receiver able to decode MPEG4?  I imagine the D11 and all prior ones would not, but isn't the D12 the "newest" SD receiver?

The millions and millions of SD receivers are MPEG2. That is the problem. If they were MPEG4, they could receive the HD channels and downrez them to SD. Poof! Bandwidth crunch gone as a huge chunk of a satellite would be available (101).

It only makes business sense to make an MPEG4 SD channel if it draws people to moving off MPEG2 to MPEG4. MAV TV is not that big a draw (ask Fios).

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#651 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

They can still launch it in SD... but MPEG4 SD makes more fiscal (and technological) sense (remember bandwidth = money).  NASA is MPEG4 and so is GOD TV and a few other SD stations, right? They can authorize it in a base package, just transmit it in MPEG4.

The only reason why they're MPEG4 is to fulfill the P/I requirement for each satellite. Baby First, NASA, Free Speech TV, Golden Eagle, and God TV are all P/I channels.

Are there any SD receivers capable of MPEG4?  Is the D12 receiver able to decode MPEG4?  I imagine the D11 and all prior ones would not, but isn't the D12 the "newest" SD receiver?

The D12 is MPEG2 only.

Again its a new channel.  They ain't missing it if they never had it before.  DirecTV never updated the SD guide to look like the HD guide (in SD of course).  Even for branding you'd think they would update the color scheme to the darker look vs the light whites and baby blues.  If they don't pay much attention to that aspect, why pay any attention to adding new content in an old format?

Because they still have millions of customers with no HD service, in addition to those who have HD service but not on every TV.

#652 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Oh so they never made an SD set top box capeable of MPEG4?  I thought maybe the latest "SD" set top may have had that.  I know some Cable set top boxes have MPEG4 in them, but they don't even use mpeg4 cept for blue ridge cable and the premium secondary + screens in HD.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#653 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Nearly every network, including MavTV still send out SD feeds. As of now the only ones that switched to strict HD distribution are ESPN (except for ESPN Classic), HBO/Cinemax, Fox's entertainment and sports channels (except for Fox College Sports), Comcast's RSNs, NFL Network, MLB Strike Zone, Universal Sports Network and Fearnet, along with HD exclusive networks like AXS, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Palladia, Shorts HD, Sony Movie Channel, Universal HD and Velocity.

And considering what Turner does to the pre-HD content on their HD feeds like Married with Children and Fresh Prince, or the cropping Discovery does on their channels, many of us who don't want to watch a distorted picture are thankful that the SD feeds are still there.

BTW, to the earlier posts about FXX, this is what Fox is telling their affiliates:
August 17th:
Speed becomes Fox Sports 1
Fuel becomes Fox Sports 2
September 2nd:
Fox Soccer Channel becomes FXX
Fox Movie Channel completes the transition and becomes FXM 24/7

Nothing yet about what the fate of Fox Soccer Plus is.

Thanks.  So, since those channels are already on Directv in HD (except Fox Movie Channel), there shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Pepe Sylvia, 12 June 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#654 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh so they never made an SD set top box capeable of MPEG4?  I thought maybe the latest "SD" set top may have had that.  I know some Cable set top boxes have MPEG4 in them, but they don't even use mpeg4 cept for blue ridge cable and the premium secondary + screens in HD.

The issue is all the OLD boxes out there that are SD only. They are MPEG2. They had/have a plan to replace all boxes with a single series and just turn on/off different aspects of those boxes but have not been aggressive in the replacement of the old SD boxes, which are MPEG2 only.

They have boxes in use for SD that can do MPEG4 but they are relatively new and far fewer than the older MPEG2 only boxes.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#655 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks.  So, since those channels are already on Directv in HD (except Fox Movie Channel), there shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing that may be an issue would be that some are changing tiers. The biggest one being the soccer channel becoming FXX.

#656 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

The only thing that may be an issue would be that some are changing tiers. The biggest one being the soccer channel becoming FXX.

and it will need to move out of the sports range FXX is way out of place in the 6XX.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#657 OFFLINE   chough95

chough95

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Really? 

Yeah!  I mean some of it looks like there was no planning at all.  Why are ESPN / ESPN 2 not next to each other?  Why are the History channels not next to each other?  What is with all of the random infomercial channels scattered around?  Why are CNN / HLN over 125 channels away from all of the other news channels?  Why is the Military Channel so close to Disney Junior?  Why is MavTV at 219?

#658 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Its a NEW channel.  They didn't have it before, why should they care if they have it now.  A *NEW* channel is perfect candidate for updated transmission / encoding technology.  MPEG2 only receivers aren't really missing something they never had in the first place! 

Using your logic, HD receiver owners aren't missing something they never had in the first place, either.  MAVTV was not on DirecTV before in any format.  Now it is.  One day it wil be on DirecTV in HD, but until D14 is online, there is limited space for new HD channels.  If the alternative between now and when D14 is live is to have MAVTV in SD or not at all, most viewers would opt for SD.

Edited by fleckrj, 12 June 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#659 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Yeah!  I mean some of it looks like there was no planning at all.  Why are ESPN / ESPN 2 not next to each other?  Why are the History channels not next to each other?  What is with all of the random infomercial channels scattered around?  Why are CNN / HLN over 125 channels away from all of the other news channels?  Why is the Military Channel so close to Disney Junior?  Why is MavTV at 219?

What does it matter?  The channels are there.  I push the numbers, and my receiver switches to them.  Is there some hidden meaning to channel numbers that I am missing?

#660 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

The answer to that one can be found if you use the archive.org's wayback machine to look at past lineups on DirecTV's website. (here's a hint DirecTV launched in 1994, the majority of these channels launched well after that, there was also a major reshuffle in the late 90s when USSB's lineup merged into the main DirecTV lineup, you'll also see how some defunct channels like CNN SI played into the mix)

When TruTV's previous incarnation CourtTV was still mainly a Courtroom news channel it had channel 203. It started in an era before MSNBC and Fox News. Just like how Spike used to have channel 325 which dated back to its days as TNN which focused on Nashville music.

The infomercial and shopping channels pay DirecTV to be on the lineup, either directly or via commission, being scattered around gives them better visibility as you flip channels, which means more potential money.

NASA TV used to be on 289 prior to the launch of Disney Junior. It should be obvious why Disney Junior got the slot based on what's right above it. There was also several shuffles in the kids range when the west coast feed of Cartoon Network was added. (TV Land moved from 301 to 304, Noggin moved from 298 to 301, Boomerang moved from 297 to 298)

Edited by KyL416, 12 June 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...