Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
750 replies to this topic

#661 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

As far as numbering goes, I guess if it was organized with like networks next to each other, it would be easier to find things. But I guess voice search (and even smart search) fixes that. Issue is if the channel lineup was established years ago, where do you put a new network if there's no gaps to fit it? Do you shift tens or hundreds of channels up (making everyone learn new numbers) to squeeze in a new network?

The number is more of an index to quickly find a network carried over from decades old technology. I could see in the future where an arbitrary number doesn't matter. More like you find the network by its logo or more realistically you look for programming vs looking for a channel. Roku doesn't have channel numbers right? You pick the icon representing the network or type of content that interests you. Maybe in 10-15 years cable and satellite will evolve beyond the grid of numbers. You never know. Rewind 40 years ago and would you even imagine having more than 99 channels?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#662 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 953 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Look at a site like zap2it.com and you can find a lot of cable providers' channel lineups and where the programming is assigned. The majority of it deserves restructuring, including DirecTV.

I think the worst offender is Comcast, because it's chaotic in most areas served and, yet, it is the No. 1 cable-television provider in the U.S. In my area of Detroit, Michigan, the systems are being gradually remapped to have high-definition channel numbers in the 1000s. The SD isn't yet assigned to the corresponding three-digit number; but I take it it is a project underway.

Some of this can make us seem fussy. But I think it's interesting that people point out the flaws. I think so much of it, from a given cable-television provider, is done on purpose. Part of it is having to do with contractual details that may include, with some owners/distributors, favoritism. (Like with more immediate numbers assigned to given programmers.) It's silly, of course, because it is not going to stop people from tuning in the programming they want to view regardless of specific location.

#663 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Ha you got that right! Comcast's number disorganization is absurd. We've got it good over here on the DirecTV side of things. Most of the time people on Cable don't even watch HD because they never make it to the ultra high 3 or 4 digit special HD channel number. Can't stand going to the in-laws and they type in the simple 1 or 2 digit number and it displays crappy SD on their 50" flat screen.

Edited by cypherx, 12 June 2013 - 11:10 PM.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#664 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Wow. Buh-bye 3D broadcast/cable TV. If the market isn't there in sports. . .

I don't know if you have seen the channel but sporting events were few and far between. It was almost all fights and games from 2 or 3 years ago. Who wants to watch that? When they had a live game on you wouldn't even know it unless you regularly checked their web site. It was a junk channel.

#665 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Time Warner is testing a genere based lineup in NY.

http://www.multichan...syracuse/143357

Maybe if its popular, other providers will follow suit?

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#666 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

I don't know if you have seen the channel but sporting events were few and far between. It was almost all fights and games from 2 or 3 years ago. Who wants to watch that? When they had a live game on you wouldn't even know it unless you regularly checked their web site. It was a junk channel.

IMHO, not all sports translated well to 3D. Take football, normally most of the plays are done from a camera position up in the stands to give you a wide field shot. That's fine for 2D but on a 3D shot it doesn't nothing, you get no depth. So ESPN would use a seperate set of cameras located much closer to the field and give you most of the shots from there. Where it really stood out was when they used a side line camera, then you could really see where 3D made a difference.

A sport that 3D surprised me on was golf. When they did a shot from the green back down the fairway you could really see all the contours in the hole which 2D totally misses. Boxing was another one, since all the shots are ringside you really got the feeling of being there.

While I didn't watch it that much it will be sad to see the option nolonger available.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#667 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Oh so they never made an SD set top box capeable of MPEG4?  I thought maybe the latest "SD" set top may have had that.  I know some Cable set top boxes have MPEG4 in them, but they don't even use mpeg4 cept for blue ridge cable and the premium secondary + screens in HD.

The R22 would be the only one that I can think of, as that was really an HR21 with HD disabled. But that has been discontinued.

#668 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,182 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

IMHO, not all sports translated well to 3D. Take football, normally most of the plays are done from a camera position up in the stands to give you a wide field shot. That's fine for 2D but on a 3D shot it doesn't nothing, you get no depth. So ESPN would use a seperate set of cameras located much closer to the field and give you most of the shots from there. Where it really stood out was when they used a side line camera, then you could really see where 3D made a difference.

A sport that 3D surprised me on was golf. When they did a shot from the green back down the fairway you could really see all the contours in the hole which 2D totally misses. Boxing was another one, since all the shots are ringside you really got the feeling of being there.

While I didn't watch it that much it will be sad to see the option nolonger available.

boxing wasn't bad in 3d.

#669 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Look at a site like zap2it.com and you can find a lot of cable providers' channel lineups and where the programming is assigned. The majority of it deserves restructuring, including DirecTV.

I think the worst offender is Comcast, because it's chaotic in most areas served and, yet, it is the No. 1 cable-television provider in the U.S. In my area of Detroit, Michigan, the systems are being gradually remapped to have high-definition channel numbers in the 1000s. The SD isn't yet assigned to the corresponding three-digit number; but I take it it is a project underway. 

Some of this can make us seem fussy. But I think it's interesting that people point out the flaws. I think so much of it, from a given cable-television provider, is done on purpose. Part of it is having to do with contractual details that may include, with some owners/distributors, favoritism. (Like with more immediate numbers assigned to given programmers.) It's silly, of course, because it is not going to stop people from tuning in the programming they want to view regardless of specific location.

Having used three content providers over the last 10-years, I would say that Dish was the worse.  At the time, they melded SD and HD content into two separate channel numbers.  Also the locals were designated with numbers that didn't correspond to their local call numbers.  I grew to hate Dish because it was so cumbersome finding programs I liked and I moved back to Direct before trying  Comcast. 

#670 OFFLINE   chough95

chough95

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

For us, imputing the channels isn't bad at all because I would say that we would all consider ourselves as tech savvy.  My parents are older, and they got Directv a few years ago, and they still call me asking what channel # _______ is, mainly because they have a hard time remembering so many channels jumbled all over the place.  They could never search for channels by their logo, or their name because they just do not know what channel everything they watch is on.  They know how to scroll through the guide though, and if the channels were sorted by genre, they could easily find what they are looking for.

Also, some of the proximity areas really concern me.  Lets image that you have a young child who was watching Disney Junior.  Now, just imagine that with an accidental push of a button on the remote, the channel changes down 2.  Now the child is watching the most violent channel on television, aka the Military Channel.  Doesn't make sense...

I may be OCD a little about this, but for me, it is a glaring issue.

By the way, I came from Comcast, but in an area that they had just recently taken over, so my lineup was different from the usual.  It made so much sense, News = 30's, Sports = 40's / 50's, Kids = 60's, and it went on and on with all related networks next to each other.  For HD just add 1000.  EX: ESPN = 46 ESPN HD = 1046

#671 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

Time Warner is testing a genere based lineup in NY.

http://www.multichan...syracuse/143357

Maybe if its popular, other providers will follow suit?

Many already do this. DirecTV does it to a larger extent than most. They are not followed that closely.

The problem is with channels like TNT or TBS or WGN which cross genres. Or with channels that change genre without changing name. Then channels that change name.

This is a moving target and unless they are going to spread them out tremendously (in groups of 1000s rather than 100s), there will always be problems, especially with a carrier like DirecTV that has dozens of RSNs.

But I love how TWC spun this to sound like they are being innovative.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#672 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

For us, imputing the channels isn't bad at all because I would say that we would all consider ourselves as tech savvy.  My parents are older, and they got Directv a few years ago, and they still call me asking what channel # _______ is, mainly because they have a hard time remembering so many channels jumbled all over the place.  They could never search for channels by their logo, or their name because they just do not know what channel everything they watch is on.  They know how to scroll through the guide though, and if the channels were sorted by genre, they could easily find what they are looking for.

Also, some of the proximity areas really concern me.  Lets image that you have a young child who was watching Disney Junior.  Now, just imagine that with an accidental push of a button on the remote, the channel changes down 2.  Now the child is watching the most violent channel on television, aka the Military Channel.  Doesn't make sense...

I may be OCD a little about this, but for me, it is a glaring issue.

By the way, I came from Comcast, but in an area that they had just recently taken over, so my lineup was different from the usual.  It made so much sense, News = 30's, Sports = 40's / 50's, Kids = 60's, and it went on and on with all related networks next to each other.  For HD just add 1000.  EX: ESPN = 46 ESPN HD = 1046

DirecTV already does a lot of that. They are largely grouped by genre/package.

You are being overly critical. You cannot make every channel make sense all the time in a grouping.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#673 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

Well I guess you can push guide twice and select one of those categories views.  Not many cable co's (that i've seen) have something like that.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#674 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

boxing wasn't bad in 3d.

Boxing was very good but I never saw a live fight on ESPN 3D, only reruns of old fights. 

#675 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,182 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

Boxing was very good but I never saw a live fight on ESPN 3D, only reruns of old fights. 

a few years ago, they had the friday night fights live in 3d for several weeks. close up shots of punches being thrown to the upper body region were awesome. i think boxing was the best thing they did in 3d, followed by the masters golf tournament.

#676 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Now that the 3rd quarter is nearing, which HD channels are most likely to be added? Hoping for Fox Movie Channel HD, Reelz HD, and Military Channel HD.

#677 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

DirecTV To Add NC8 - 6/17 - DCRTV hears that DirecTV will start carrying Allbritton's NewsChannel 8 come July. This will be the first time the local news channel will be seen via a non-cable TV service. Currently, NC8 is seen within the Washington TV market via Comcast, Cox, Verizon, RCN, and other cable services, but not via satellite services like Dish Network and DirecTV. Until now. No specific July date has been announced for the DirecTV add. "When this happens NewsChannel 8 will be available in the 350,000 DirecTV homes in the DC market putting us at a total of 2.1 million homes," NewsChannel 8 and WJLA Vice President/General Manager Bill Lord tells us. "This is our first time on satellite after 20 years of cable only delivery and we are very excited about it".....

http://dcrtv.com/

#678 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Is this an HD channel?

Also, this announcement shouldn't be in this thread which is for National HD.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#679 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Is this an HD channel?

Also, this announcement shouldn't be in this thread which is for National HD.

feel free to move it, i don't what channel is, i just seen it coming 

#680 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

DirecTV To Add NC8 - 6/17 - DCRTV hears that DirecTV will start carrying Allbritton's NewsChannel 8 come July. This will be the first time the local news channel will be seen via a non-cable TV service. Currently, NC8 is seen within the Washington TV market via Comcast, Cox, Verizon, RCN, and other cable services, but not via satellite services like Dish Network and DirecTV. Until now. No specific July date has been announced for the DirecTV add. "When this happens NewsChannel 8 will be available in the 350,000 DirecTV homes in the DC market putting us at a total of 2.1 million homes," NewsChannel 8 and WJLA Vice President/General Manager Bill Lord tells us. "This is our first time on satellite after 20 years of cable only delivery and we are very excited about it".....

http://dcrtv.com/

it seems to be HD now can we get CLTV HD As well?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...