Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTv claiming new tax on TV in TN - false?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

I am a TN resident, and I received an email yesterday from DirecTv, telling me to write my legislators to stop a new TV tax. But when I look up the bill on the TN government site, this is all it says (see below). DirecTv appears to have spooked by a shadow of something, because this is definitely not a TV tax.

Bill Summary
This bill authorizes the commissioner of revenue to disclose to local government officials the amount of business tax credit claimed by a taxpayer for the purpose of allowing the local government to ascertain whether proper local taxes are being paid, as described below.

Generally, present law authorizes counties and municipalities to levy a business tax on certain businesses operating in such county or municipality, and the commissioner of revenue is authorized to collect and administer such tax. Present law also establishes the certain credits against such tax, including credits for personal property taxes that have been properly paid to the local government.

This bill authorizes the commissioner, upon written request, to disclose to duly authorized officials of a unit of local government the amount claimed by a taxpayer as a credit against the business tax for personal property taxes paid. Such information would be disclosed solely for the purpose of allowing the unit of local government to ascertain whether proper local taxes are being paid. No unit of local government nor any official or employee of a unit of local government who receives such information may disclose it to any person other than the person to whom it relates, except as otherwise authorized by la

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Despite all the legal mumbo jimbo, it probably paves the way for them to start taxing your sat bill, similar legislation has passed in many states, and they usually try to be proactive in the states where pending legislation is coming along. If enough people fight it it sometimes gets voted down.

#3 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Despite all the legal mumbo jimbo, it probably paves the way for them to start taxing your sat bill...

Sat service already taxed. From my latest bill:

Sales tax 2.05
TN Satellite Programming Sales Tax 6.48
Total Sales Tax 8.53

Cable customers are not taxed on a certain amount of their monthly bills while sat customers are taxed on the full bill.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#4 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

That's what's so confusing. As shown above, TN residents already get taxed on satellite service.

I did email the group responsible for the tax emails, and hopefully I will get a response. I just don't the like idea of spamming legislators with emails against something that doesn't even exist.

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

The sales tax varies from state to state.
Mine is $2.00.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

But you can always count on Tennessee to have the highest in the nation. :mad:
When news breaks...we fix it.

#7 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

They are thinking about applying this in NY also......

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Mine is $2.00.

My bill seems to only show tax on leased receivers and that is it. Since I only have 2 leased receivers the fee is less then $2 a month.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Bill Summary
This bill authorizes the commissioner of revenue to disclose to local government officials the amount of business tax credit claimed by a taxpayer for the purpose of allowing the local government to ascertain whether proper local taxes are being paid, as described below.

Generally, present law authorizes counties and municipalities to levy a business tax on certain businesses operating in such county or municipality, and the commissioner of revenue is authorized to collect and administer such tax. Present law also establishes the certain credits against such tax, including credits for personal property taxes that have been properly paid to the local government.

This bill authorizes the commissioner, upon written request, to disclose to duly authorized officials of a unit of local government the amount claimed by a taxpayer as a credit against the business tax for personal property taxes paid. Such information would be disclosed solely for the purpose of allowing the unit of local government to ascertain whether proper local taxes are being paid. No unit of local government nor any official or employee of a unit of local government who receives such information may disclose it to any person other than the person to whom it relates, except as otherwise authorized by la

This one seems to be about the Tennessee Department of Revenue being required to rat any taxpayer out to their respective taxing jurisdictions regarding the amount of taxes that it has actually collected from that taxpayer.

It seems to be entirely about verifying that any credits for taxes paid are based on taxes that have actually been paid. It does NOT appear to me to be a tax.

In doing a keyword search of the current Tennessee bills, the word "satellite" gets no hits.

The Tennessee Legislature is pretty vague on their online documentation but it does appear that they raised the tax rate a while back to 9.4%.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

My bill seems to only show tax on leased receivers and that is it. Since I only have 2 leased receivers the fee is less then $2 a month.

Some states will tax you any and every way they can. If they can't get the sales tax on an outright purchased item, they'll hit you with a property tax on the value of the leased equipment.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I see enough taxes on DirecTV for TN. I don't need to see more. I also got that e-mail too. But decided not to e-mail. Honestly if they've got their minds made up to tax something. A few subscribers won't stop it. But since that's the first I've heard about it. I'm leery to do anything yet anyway.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

spam firewall