Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Really, an EBS test at 12:30 CDT?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Do they really have to do these tests in the middle of the day on all channels?
  • Dude111 likes this

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Better than doing it at night when there is new programming on.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Better than doing it at night when there is new programming on.

IMHO 3:30AM would be a better option.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Then noone is seeing it....they arent going to do it in the middle of the night, when 80% of the nation is sleeping, and they arent going to do it during primetime.

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Then noone is seeing it....they arent going to do it in the middle of the night, when 80% of the nation is sleeping, and they arent going to do it during primetime.

But the broadcast center can see it.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,837 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

EBS was discontinued in 1997, and replaced with EAS. Sounds like a required weekly test or required monthly test.
  • Dude111 likes this
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   Sward81333

Sward81333

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

The FCC requires EAS Tests to be randomly conducted at differing times each month during daylight hours. Only actual alerts occur at night if some sort of event happens.

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,837 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

http://transition.fc.../handbooks.html

The typical weekly test in my area occurs at 11:30 AM PT.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

http://transition.fc.../handbooks.html

The typical weekly test in my area occurs at 11:30 AM PT.

The National Weather Service in Indiana does their tests the same day and time every week, but stations are supposed to mix it up.

Weekly Tests
Weekly tests consist of transmitting the EAS digital header codes and end of message (EOM) codes, once each week. Weekly tests must be conducted by EAS participants on different days and at different times.

Monthly Tests
Monthly tests consist of transmitting:
* EAS digital header codes;
* the two-tone attention signal;
* a brief test script and EOM code;
* a visual display of header code data.
Monthly tests must be retransmitted within 60 minutes of receipt.

Odd/Even Months
* In odd months, monthly tests must be conducted between 8:30 a.m. to local sunset.
* In even months, monthly tests must be conducted between local sunset to 8:30 a.m.

The Monthly Test is the "every station" test ... and although stations have an hour to retransmit it most get it out of the way quicker. And this being an "odd" month, it had to be done in daytime.

#10 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

OK, while this does not address the frustrations showed by the original poster, it is a good time to provide some history of the days of TV when if you could get a clear signal you were happy, and if your lucky, in New York you received 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13, with a semi good signal from 8 in New Haven, CT. And cable was this great marvel that gave you clear signals on these channels, adding channels 3 and 30 from Hartford, get live weather on Channel 6 and PBS on channel 21. And during hockey and basketball season, you got the Rangers and Knicks from Madison Square Garden. A whopping 12 channels.

When i was growing up during the "Russians will attack any minute", "Ivan was ready to march down Main street", etc. days of the 1960s, these tests were conducted during commercial breaks and never during a program. Usually these occurred between programming or in the natural break in programming. They fell into the category of a Public Service Announce.

Though, the frequency of these ads was not very common at all. Also, it was not a crawl on the screen, the text below was spoken by an announcer.

"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test."
Tone for about 30 seconds/
"This was a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this was an actual emergency, you would be instructed where to tune for additional information. This concludes the test of the Emergency Broadcast System".

So variants included what area a the stations served, station identification, frequency (radio) channel (TV) and call letters and sometimes addition information.

Older announcements included instructions to tune to a specific station indicated in the real emergency announcement and ignore the Civil Defense logos which were pretty much on all radios through the 1960s. What was then called WNHC TV (New Haven, CT) did this, while the New York City did not add this extra instruction.

By the way, I think the only time they even came close to activating the EBS was during the Cuban Missile Crises in 1962. Thus, EBS actually became comedian or war protest fodder.

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,837 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Then you know about what happened on February 20th, 1971....

http://ebstest.stlmedia.net/ - Teletype copies
- Aircheck tape from WOWO
- Aircheck tape from WCCO
http://www.ae5d.com/ebs.html - History of EBS, including sample documents and how stations were "voluntarily" required to be part of this.

For more civil defense stuff, see http://www.youtube.c...ser/CONELRAD640 ... ture=watch

Edited by Mark Holtz, 26 March 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Though, the frequency of these ads was not very common at all. Also, it was not a crawl on the screen, the text below was spoken by an announcer.

The improvements to the messages allow the message to be encoded ... the "screech" at the beginning of the audible message contains the text of the message (good for relaying to other devices). This is very helpful on radio. The on screen text helps the hearing impaired.

Done right these messages don't need to be any more intrusive than they were in the days of old. The relay of the coordinated monthly test can be delayed enough to fit in the next commercial break. If all the commercials are sold something would need to be bumped.

#13 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

I saw it today for the first time ever. It was between 12 and one. It came from la county.

#14 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 371 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I would rather see the system fail on one of these test than in an real National emergency.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#15 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

This was the second one in the past week that I've seen.

I realize that this is important but the disruption of programming is what I don't like.
If they need to do it in the middle of the day, then maybe it could be timed for when a commercial is on.
Oh wait, the advertisers would complain about that. ;)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#16 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

They should tell us when they are going to do it so we can have it on a crappy show when it comes on.

#17 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

By the way, I think the only time they even came close to activating the EBS was during the Cuban Missile Crises in 1962. Thus, EBS actually became comedian or war protest fodder.

I remember at least one activation in the Boston area (I want to say around 1982) when a railroad car carrying toxic chemicals derailed and there was a potential for evacuation. And I think this system might have been used whenever a tornado was spotted as well. So while the EBS was generally known as an alert for if a nuclear war was about to break out it did have other uses.

#18 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

The National Weather Service in Indiana does their tests the same day and time every week, but stations are supposed to mix it up.

Weekly Tests
Weekly tests consist of transmitting the EAS digital header codes and end of message (EOM) codes, once each week. Weekly tests must be conducted by EAS participants on different days and at different times.

Monthly Tests
Monthly tests consist of transmitting:
* EAS digital header codes;
* the two-tone attention signal;
* a brief test script and EOM code;
* a visual display of header code data.
Monthly tests must be retransmitted within 60 minutes of receipt.

Odd/Even Months
* In odd months, monthly tests must be conducted between 8:30 a.m. to local sunset.
* In even months, monthly tests must be conducted between local sunset to 8:30 a.m.

The Monthly Test is the "every station" test ... and although stations have an hour to retransmit it most get it out of the way quicker. And this being an "odd" month, it had to be done in daytime.

This system has been in place for many years. You'd think one monthly test would be sufficient by now. I heard one yesterday morning on KUSC, a classical music radio station.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#19 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 509 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'd rather be annoyed for 30 seconds than not know if something significant was going on because it didn't work.

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I can understand the need for a test. The problem I have that unlike when a local station does their test the DIRECTV test was on every channel I tried at the same time.

spam firewall