Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Really, an EBS test at 12:30 CDT?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I can understand the need for a test. The problem I have that unlike when a local station does their test the DIRECTV test was on every channel I tried at the same time.

I did not realize you were talking about a DirecTV generated test ... the rule for DBS providers is as follows:

"Monthly tests must be conducted on 10 percent of all DBS channels, with channels tested varying from month to month, so that over the course of a given year, 100 per cent of all channels are tested."

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I can understand the need for a test. The problem I have that unlike when a local station does their test the DIRECTV test was on every channel I tried at the same time.

When I had Charter they tested them all at the same time, at least it seemed that way. Either way, it's a moot point.

#23 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Look, I'm not relying on a TV alert. I have a SAME radio that will alert me.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Look, I'm not relying on a TV alert. I have a SAME radio that will alert me.

Good for you ... and I have a SAME weather radio nearby as well. I wish everyone had a SAME radio ... and smoke / fire / CO2 detectors at every level of their home. Not everyone does.

One of the complaints about satellite TV by emergency management people is that viewers did not get local emergency alerts unless they happened to be tuned to one of their local channels. That is why the law was changed and EAS became a requirement for satellite broadcasters.

As long as the alerts are built in to the receiver and do not affect recordings I do not mind that they are there. If an alert interrupts the show people should be able to hit the back button on their DVR and see what they missed. If they don't have a DVR then they should join the 21st century. :)

Some day a satellite broadcast EAS message will save a life. That day will never come if satellite carriers do not transmit EAS.

#25 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm not sure how satellite TV does it, but whether or not you see or hear these tests depends on if it is Weekly or Monthly in some cases. Weekly tests are initiated by the local station and air only on that station. Monthly tests are triggered by a primary station that all the other stations in the area have their EAS unit set to monitor, and the test automatically gets picked up and broadcast on those stations regardless of what is being aired at the time.

The weekly tests are supposed to be initiated manually at different times each week, but alot of people say it's always overnight. In fact, most stations do TWO weekly tests. It's common for broadcasters to set the EAS unit to fire off a weekly test overnight on the same day and time each week between 1 and 3am. This covers the test requirement in case somebody drops the ball or gets busy and forgets to do the weekly test at a random time during the week.

Most of the weekly tests are done automatically these days without anybody at the station having to push a button. A file is inserted into the automation system that triggers the unit automatically. The test automatically gets scheduled and played the same way a paid commercial would and the file triggers the unit in between commercials or a station ID.

I was responsible for intitiating the Monthly EAS test at my radiostation. Every other month, a public radio station down the street would do the test if it wasn't my turn. Once I selected the type of test and recorded the script and hit send, the test would air on my station and then be picked up by the EAS receivers at every tv and radiostation in the area and air on each of those stations. I'd even tune to the local FOX tv affiliate 3 minutes later and the test would be scrolling on the screen along with my voice.

My monthly test was at the same time on every second tuesday of the month. The public station down the road did it overnight every other month.

Most stations have their EAS unit monitor two primary stations (the two that send the monthly tests) in addition to the local NWS and local SEMO (State Emergency Management) office. This acts as a failsafe so that if one station does not forward the warning, another station relays it to them and the message still airs on all stations in the area.

When I was initiating the monthly tests, it was very important to do it slow and pay attention so that you didn't hit the wrong button, such as ""CAO" (amber alert or child abduction alert). Once you hit that, all the highway signs in a 75 mile radius start flashing and scrolling and you've got alot of explaining to do.

#26 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

I did not realize you were talking about a DirecTV generated test ... the rule for DBS providers is as follows:

"Monthly tests must be conducted on 10 percent of all DBS channels, with channels tested varying from month to month, so that over the course of a given year, 100 per cent of all channels are tested."

Do they do that on PPV channels as well?

Part time channels that are not even 24/7?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

That is the rule ... how the rule is followed I do not know.

#28 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

What is being missed here is the fact that even though only 10% of the channels need to be tested monthly, they DO NOT have to be tested at the same time.

There are local inserts hourly on every channel (except the OTA stations) for DirecTV to insert commercials they sell.

With very little problem, the EAS test could be scheduled on the 10% of the channels monthly to run in the place of a :30 second spot - just as it is done on the OTA channels. Outside of that, running the test at :59:30 would most likely not interupt a key part of a program.

This could also be done in between movie showings on PPV.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 23 April 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

There is a saying in the military: Train like you intend to fight. 

If there was a national emergency requiring an EAS, DirecTV is not going to broadcast it on 10% of their channels until they get 100%. 

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

There is a saying in the military: Train like you intend to fight. 

If there was a national emergency requiring an EAS, DirecTV is not going to broadcast it on 10% of their channels until they get 100%. 

EAS would have more meaning if it were used ... Fortunately most uses have been mistakes (oops, wrong code) or non-national emergencies. What it does get used for is weather ... the voluntary optional part of EAS where local stations relay potentially life saving information.

That is where cable and satellite EBS could fill the gap. While for most events I know that the weather is pretty bad before the severe thunderstorm or tornado approaches (or floods, the most recent events) the thought of people blissfully watching some satellite channel on TV unaware of impending doom is not pleasant. Some alert system is warranted.

We just need to see it used for more than tests. - And no, I'm not hoping for a national emergency big enough to trigger an EAN - I'm hoping that satellite companies join local broadcasters in serving their various communities and passing on potentially life saving information.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#31 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Older announcements included instructions to tune to a specific station indicated in the real emergency announcement and ignore the Civil Defense logos which were pretty much on all radios through the 1960s. What was then called WNHC TV (New Haven, CT) did this, while the New York City did not add this extra instruction.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD, radios manufactured between 1953 and 1963 had symbols at the 640 and 1240 khz locations on the AM dial. Should an attack occur, stations would then retune to 640 and 1240 or go off-air. The purpose was to provide confusion to enemy aircraft. 

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...