Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECAs with non-receiver devices?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

So, I'm building a desktop PC as a media and gaming machine for my bedroom. After doing some reading, I decided that I'd use a DECA II adapter (obtained from Ebay for $10) instead of running an ethernet cable from my living room to my bedroom. In my bedroom, I've got an H25 IRD, so I'll need a green-label splitter for sure, but I was wondering what the best way of wiring this would be. I've already got a wired CCK set up in my living room, so I have a general idea of how to do this, but I figure you guys will know better than I will about the more in-depth aspects of it. A diagram would actually be greatly appreciated. Also, to anybody who has done this, what sort of results should I expect out of this in the way of speed and latency? I'd like to use this as a gaming setup, but if that's not possible with this, I'll just use an 802.11n card.

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

You'll need a power supply for the DECA but all you need do is plug the Ethernet cable from the DECA into the PC. I'm doing this to supply a hard wired connection to a Roku XS. It works great, and provides a far better connection than any wireless connection.

Just split the coax (hopefully you don't have a lot of splitters and cable runs between the bedroom and the SWiM) and run a coax from the splitter to the DECA input (the other end will connect to the power supply).

Here is a link to a power supply on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...V/dp/B003ZMH6DO

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#3 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

You'll need a power supply for the DECA but all you need do is plug the Ethernet cable from the DECA into the PC. I'm doing this to supply a hard wired connection to a Roku XS. It works great, and provides a far better connection than any wireless connection.

Do you have any speed or latency numbers? I was hoping to get a general idea for how much lag this'll introduce into my setup, though I can't imagine it'd be slower than wireless-n.

Just split the coax (hopefully you don't have a lot of splitters and cable runs between the bedroom and the SWiM) and run a coax from the splitter to the DECA input (the other end will connect to the power supply).

My setup runs SWMLine-5 to 8-way split to H25, with about 20 feet of coax from splitter to my room, and another 20 feet or so to the SWM. The DECA/CCK in the living room is about 50 feet away from the SWM. My house isn't particularly big.

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Here is a link to a power supply on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...V/dp/B003ZMH6DO

I don't know if it's different internally or not. But this is not the power supply that comes with the DECA II. See here for an ebay auction for a DECA II with the power supply. It has a Buy it now price of $11.99

For when that link expires, here is the same kit at Solid Signal

As I said earlier, I don't know whether the power supply for the DECA I works properly with the DECA II or not. But, since buying the full kit at ebay is less expensive than the power supply at Amazon (even with S&H), it's probably a good idea to go the ebay route.

#5 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

I don't know if it's different internally or not. But this is not the power supply that comes with the DECA II. See here for an ebay auction for a DECA II with the power supply. It has a Buy it now price of $11.99

For when that link expires, here is the same kit at Solid Signal

As I said earlier, I don't know whether the power supply for the DECA I works properly with the DECA II or not. But, since buying the full kit at ebay is less expensive than the power supply at Amazon (even with S&H), it's probably a good idea to go the ebay route.

I've already bought a DECA, not even thinking about the fact that it'd need a power adapter. Is there a way I can get the power adapter separate? Think anybody here would have one I could get from them? I think the higher-ups would probably frown upon me taking one from work, you know?

UPDATE: So I've bought the splitter and RG6, the DECA, and the parts for the computer. Hopefully, by Saturday, I'll have a whole setup ready.

Edited by ikoniq, 27 March 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

... Also, to anybody who has done this, what sort of results should I expect out of this in the way of speed and latency? I'd like to use this as a gaming setup, but if that's not possible with this, I'll just use an 802.11n card.

The DECA adapters use the MoCA 1.1 protocol standard for data communication. The official numbers between nodes at least of which are;

Max. data throughput Greater than 140 mbps for a 6 node or larger cloud. Greater than 176 mbps for a two node cloud.

Latency is less than 4.5 ms on average with less than 7.5 ms 99.9% of the time.

Max. packet loss is less than 1 per 100,000.

As stated these are only the official specifications, YMMV though in the real world.

#7 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

Do you have any speed or latency numbers? I was hoping to get a general idea for how much lag this'll introduce into my setup, though I can't imagine it'd be slower than wireless-n.

If you are talking about Internet gaming (as opposed to LAN party) your Internet latency will by a minimum of 10 times what the DECA introduces. Assuming no major problems exist in the network components, you'll get better than fast Ethernet throughput.

My setup runs SWMLine-5 to 8-way split to H25, with about 20 feet of coax from splitter to my room, and another 20 feet or so to the SWM. The DECA/CCK in the living room is about 50 feet away from the SWM. My house isn't particularly big.

You should be okay...everything is green label right?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

I've already bought a DECA, not even thinking about the fact that it'd need a power adapter. Is there a way I can get the power adapter separate?

I don't believe it's available separately from retailers. Maybe someone on ebay has one for sale. However, given the price for the kit on ebay, I would just buy the kit and save the spare DECA II in case I ever need it.

#9 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

If you are talking about Internet gaming (as opposed to LAN party) your Internet latency will by a minimum of 10 times what the DECA introduces. Assuming no major problems exist in the network components, you'll get better than fast Ethernet throughput.

You should be okay...everything is green label right?

Everything is green label, and I am talking about Internet gaming. The way you describe it, it sounds like I'll have a great connection, no problems at all.

I don't believe it's available separately from retailers. Maybe someone on ebay has one for sale. However, given the price for the kit on ebay, I would just buy the kit and save the spare DECA II in case I ever need it.

I bought the kit on ebay as you suggested, from the link provided. It'll be nice to have a spare on hand instead of having to deal with DirecTV for it.

Also, DHCP just passes through, right? Nothing is modified between the DECAs?

Edited by ikoniq, 27 March 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

... Also, DHCP just passes through, right? Nothing is modified between the DECAs?

Correct;

The DECA adapters are ethernet bridges using MOCA 1.1 on the coax interface which operates at OSI levels 1 and 2 ("physical" and "data link").

DHCP is at a higher level 3 (or "network") protocol which the DECA nodes are transparent to.

#11 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Correct;

The DECA adapters are ethernet bridges using MOCA 1.1 on the coax interface which operates at OSI levels 1 and 2 ("physical" and "data link").

DHCP is at a higher level 3 (or "network") protocol which the DECA nodes are transparent to.

Hey, I remember these terms from my CCNA class! xD
But in all seriousness, that's for the best. I can't stand when I use a router in bridge mode and it wants to use its own DHCP and makes my room transparent to the outside world.

#12 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Just an update:
I got the DECA that I ordered in the mail yesterday. I pulled out the crappy wifi dongle I had (Never buy Belkin WiFi anything. Absolutely terrible.) and put the DECA in right away, just pulled the plugs straight out of my H25 and hooked it up to my computer. Right out of the box, everything just worked. I'm getting 20+ Mbps down, 10Mbps up, and 40ms pings. So, I'm really liking it a lot, and once I get my splitter and coax, I should be back in business as far as TV and my PC. In case it wasn't painfully obvious, I am pretty excited about the whole mess. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

I would not have thought of this but it worked well for me also. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might effect whole home performance?

#14 OFFLINE   larryk

larryk

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

It basically doesn't, unless you are pumping tons of data through it.

I use this in two rooms to hook up the TV's, DVD's etc to a wired connection...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...