Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wireless Surveillance for Outside of Home

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Totally new to outside wireless surveillance for home security.

What are some of the good systems?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,439 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Take a look at Amazon. Also, don't forget X10.com. They have a myriad of wired and wireless cameras and accessories.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,855 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

From X10, I gather, all I need are a few IP cameras.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

And note, even a 'wireless' camera needs a wire for power. Handy not to run coax for the signal, but I've had to explain to a few clients wireless is not totally wireless.

And it's usually easier to get power in a crawlspace or attic than sometimes having to run coax all around the house.

#5 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

And note, even a 'wireless' camera needs a wire for power. Handy not to run coax for the signal, but I've had to explain to a few clients wireless is not totally wireless.

And it's usually easier to get power in a crawlspace or attic than sometimes having to run coax all around the house.

That is not entirely accurate... There are a lot of solar-powered wireless camera options available. Personally, though, I would still opt for a hard-wired option which is generally going to be more reliable.

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,855 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Both my front porch and my back deck have power I can easily reach.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#7 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

This Model from Smarthome is a pretty cheap way to get started. Wireless, except for power, built in web server. They have an outdoor model as well.

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,387 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

I've used that model (also from x-10) in a friend's home for their granddaughter's room. With one of the dynamic dns services they can view it from anywhere on their phone or browser.

I've also used the outdoor unit from x-10 but I may have gotten a lemon.

I've also used higher end PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) from ACTi and Vivotek. The weatherproof enclosure is generally more expensive than the camera!

If you need more distant wifi coverage check out the Nanostations (G and N) from Ubiquiti. At ~$80, they can be an access point or bridge. I have a half dozen of those to cameras and wifi for a guest house on a friend's 350 acres.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

You would have better choices in IP cams if you omit the wireless being built into the camera if you want decent quality, especially for something going outside. You can add whatever wireless radio you like to any wired IP cam to make it wireless.

Dennisj00 brings up some good brands in both cameras and wifi gear (ubiquiti not their cams though). Acti has many new models that are much more affordable than brands like Axis or Mobotix which are premium IP brands. Many IP cams are available in 1-5 megapixel. 640 x 480 is roughly 0.3 MP about the quality of an analog camera.

Do your research on user reviews as some of the cheaper cameras can be real junk and many should not be used outdoors. But if all you need is a way to pull up live view images and are not concerned about quality they can be fine. Some of the cheaper brands like Foscam and X10 are more like toys than surveillance equipment.

Do you plan on recording?

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,387 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

The cameras I mentioned above sometimes require ActiveX or give snapshot views on smartphones / iPads. There is a good iPhone / iPad app, LiveCamsPro, that allows realtime streaming from a large population of camera brands.

There's also email alerts triggered by motion and recording features to a FTP server if you want those. Both brands also have their own server software for additional functionality.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#11 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

don't try to use motion trigger on outside cams.. clouds, trees blowing, animals, bugs.. all will false trigger it to death..
I have a pc with a geovission card in it (added benifit of recording).. I use actual motion detectors (like ones used for security systems) to trigger them.. still get lots of cats and raccoons but at least it's not for every tree branch that blows in the wind..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#12 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

Been using a this one for awhile

http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1

#13 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Been using a this one for awhile

http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1

How do you like it overall?

How do the images look at night vs. day, does it switch into black and white for low light conditions?

spam firewall