Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Get Discounts or switch to Dish???

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I posted part of this in another thread but it's been hijacked! I have been with directv since 2006. I have a hr-20 hd dvr, 1 HD receiver and 1 standard receiver. My channel package is the old total choice. I have been out of contract now for several years. I have been thinking about how to lower my bill some. I am thinking of dropping to the entertainment package. I also would be interested in the genie if the cost was only an extra $3 a month for the whole home thing. I called and asked about getting one and they wanted $299. Told them to forget it. Several weeks passed and I called and talked to them about if I were eligible for any discounts to help lower my bill other than dropping to a lower channel package. They offered me 6 months of stars. WTF? Anyone have any suggestions? I seriously considering switching to dish for 2 years. My dream would be to drop to the entertainment package and save $12 a month and get the genie. Is this possible? I think that all together would drop my bill $9 a month which isn't much but I don't know how to get it any cheaper. It's over $100 a month right now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Call and ask if they can help lower your bill and be NICE. They may say yes.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#3 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I just tried that yesterday. They offered 6 months free of Stars. I declined. I was super nice.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

I just tried that yesterday. They offered 6 months free of Stars. I declined. I was super nice.

A member here who's a Customer Retention CSR told you because you're on an old package is the reason you likely weren't offered discounts.

Edited by sigma1914, 27 March 2013 - 10:37 AM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

A member here who's a Customer Retention CSR told you because you're on an old package is the reason you likely offered discounts.

Are you (or the CSR) saying that significant discounts are not forthcoming as long as the OP subscribes to a deprecated package?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

As one who oftens switches, here's the way I look at it.

Call and talk to retention to see what is the best deal you can get. If that deal isn't what you want, or you feel it isn't good enough, then look at the other service to see if they have what you want.

If that other service has the channels you want, and the ones in HD you care about, then the switch is a money saver for you and is worth seriously considering. And while each SAT provider approaches how you interact with their gear, the task isn't daunting.

From a money standpoint, switching every two years makes a lot of sense unless you need gear that will end up with a lot of upfront money, IF the other has the channels you want.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Are you (or the CSR) saying that significant discounts are not forthcoming as long as the OP subscribes to a deprecated package?

Here...

The Total Choice Package and other grandfathered packages do not qualify for the monthly base package discounts. She should of explained the benefits of moving to the Xtra or Ultimate package with a discount if she did not already.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

How do you word it properly when you call? I want to switch to the entertainment package and are there discounts for that? I would think no since I would be going from $66 to $54 a month.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the clarification, sigma1914.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Here...
Originally Posted by Volatility View Post
The Total Choice Package and other grandfathered packages do not qualify for the monthly base package discounts. She should of explained the benefits of moving to the Xtra or Ultimate package with a discount if she did not already.

That information is not correct. I have a grandfathered package, and I'm currently getting a $10/month base package discount and several other discounts.

#11 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

How do you word it properly when you call? I want to switch to the entertainment package and are there discounts for that? I would think no since I would be going from $66 to $54 a month.

Try: "I'm looking for opportunities to reduce my monthly bill. Via social media, I've been informed by a DirecTV CSR that the fact that I currently have a grandfathered package may be preventing possible discounts from appearing on my account. If that's the case, I'd be open to moving to a newer package if that could help me reduce my monthly bill".

#12 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

That information is not correct. I have a grandfathered package, and I'm currently getting a $10/month base package discount and several other discounts.

I agree. I have a grandfathered package and I receive monthly discounts. Besides, we were also referring to a discount on equipment. He should be eligible for that being a long time customer.

#13 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

It sucks you have to go through all this crap. I will try again this evening and see if they give me a different answer. If not, I am going to call dish and see what offers they can give and then try and weigh my decision. I really love the service but for what I currently have it shouldn't be a $100 a month.

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

I don't think getting 6 months of Starz is reducing anything. They just hope you forget to cancel at the end of 6 months. If I'm looking for credits/cuts it has to be actual cuts from my current bill. I liken this to Washington, where reducing the RATE of increase is the same as a cut.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yes, I told the lady not to sign me up because I would forget to cancel it. By the way, I wouldn't watch stars if they gave it to me free for life. HBO or showtime, maybe.

#16 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Exactly. The expired packages were at a time customers could get more channels and pay less money than they do today for the channels. Most of the really good discounts are either grayed out or just do not appear unless you are put on a current package of choice or higher. Alot of industries are trying to weave customers off expired stuff. Like how some cell phone companies delete your unlimited data plan for upgrading your smart phone.

#17 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Canned again today and asked if I switched to current package were there any specials or discounts. Offered $5 off a month if I enrolled in auto pay. I also asked about genie if it wou ld increase my bill per month. Told me no and quoted $397 to get it. Caulking dish in a day or two to see what they have.

#18 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Sorry, but that information is correct nowadays. Their was a time where we could give customers on an expired package discounts higher than 5 by changing to a current package, add the discount, then go back and reinstate the old package and the discount remained, but it got changed to where the discount gets deleted by doing so. Their are other CSR's in here in both Crg and Ace who can verify grandfathered packages can not get good discounts nowadays really. I have nothing to gain by making up info-- just trying to help customers

Edited by Volatility, 27 March 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Sorry, called. Autoccorrect

#20 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Canned again today and asked if I switched to current package were there any specials or discounts. Offered $5 off a month if I enrolled in auto pay. I also asked about genie if it wou ld increase my bill per month. Told me no and quoted $397 to get it. Caulking dish in a day or two to see what they have.

Are you being transfered before any of this information is given? The first group you usually speak to is billing who can only quote regular prices. Do not get aggressive with it but call them and say you are looking at other providers because you do not feel you are getting your money's worth. Billing will transfer you off. Free Starz for 6 months does not roll to regular price after the 6 months period. It's cancelled automatically.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

spam firewall