Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Get Discounts or switch to Dish???

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

That information is not correct. I have a grandfathered package, and I'm currently getting a $10/month base package discount and several other discounts.

No it's not incorrect. Late last year, almost all grandfathered packages became ineligible for discounts over 5 dollars. The only package that qualifies now is Choice Xtra Classic. If you received discounts before that time, you maintain them. You will be urged to update your package in the future if you continue looking for discounts.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

That information is not correct. I have a grandfathered package, and I'm currently getting a $10/month base package discount and several other discounts.

You are correct, lesz.

I am in the final months of a $10 monthly programming credit which I got when I had PLUS DVR which was a grandfathered package at the time of the credit. In fact, my monthly bill STILL says "$10 programming credit-PLUS DVR" even though this package doesn't exist at all any more! (I have Choice Extra Classic with a separate DVR charge)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#23 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

No it's not incorrect. Late last year, almost all grandfathered packages became ineligible for discounts over 5 dollars. The only package that qualifies now is Choice Xtra Classic. If you received discounts before that time, you maintain them. You will be urged to update your package in the future if you continue looking for discounts.

You just contradicted yourself. You said you can't get discounts, then you said you can if you have Choice Extra Classic. That's exactly the package I have. So the truth is that you can get discounts if you have an expired package, just not every expired package!

#24 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

You just contradicted yourself. You said you can't get discounts, then you said you can if you have Choice Extra Classic. That's exactly the package I have. So the truth is that you can get discounts if you have an expired package, just not every expired package!

you misread what they typed

Edited by Volatility, 27 March 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

When did this change go into effect?

#26 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I looked up the dish network pricing. It's pretty good. Even the same package I have with directv is only $59.99 compared to $64. Plus, I would get a free hopper and not have to pay $399. I am going to give them one more chance and then that's it.

Also, does directv offer the ala carte packages like dish? You can and a few more sports channels for just $5 a month.

#27 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Read the sentence between the region you decided to make bold. Especially the "almost all" part. :)
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#28 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I looked up the dish network pricing. It's pretty good. Even the same package I have with directv is only $59.99 compared to $64. Plus, I would get a free hopper and not have to pay $399. I am going to give them one more chance and then that's it.

Also, does directv offer the ala carte packages like dish? You can and a few more sports channels for just $5 a month.

Let's talk sports then go ask dish if they offer mlbei or nflst.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#29 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Depends on the sports. When you call again, explain you are looking to go to dish. If you never get sent to department that seems like that want to help you, let them know you want to setup a date to cancel your services. If they go through every bit of the cancellation disclosure stuff and never give you much to help with your bill, I can only imagine you missed quite a few payments or were given more in the past than you realize. Best of luck!

#30 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

When did this change go into effect?

IIRC, October or November.

#31 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

That is consistent with what I have. My package is Choice Extra Classic. When I set up an appointment to switch to Dish and called to cancel my DIRECTV service, the retention CSR offered me the $10 off per month onthe Choice Extra Classic, extended my $10 HD credit for a year, and extended my discounts on HBO and Cinemax.

#32 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have gotten emails sometimes that it's past due but I have always paid it immediately. The only thing I have gotten from them is a free upgrade to the hr 20 in 2008.

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,014 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I agree. I have a grandfathered package and I receive monthly discounts. Besides, we were also referring to a discount on equipment. He should be eligible for that being a long time customer.

Exactly. The expired packages were at a time customers could get more channels and pay less money than they do today for the channels. Most of the really good discounts are either grayed out or just do not appear unless you are put on a current package of choice or higher. Alot of industries are trying to weave customers off expired stuff. Like how some cell phone companies delete your unlimited data plan for upgrading your smart phone.

You say something isn't going to happen after two posters have already testified to the contrary. $10+ seems like a pretty good discount.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#34 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,014 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Let's talk sports then go ask dish if they offer mlbei or nflst.

So what's to hold the subscriber who prizes PAC-12 over paying big bucks for MLBEI or NFLST?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#35 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

So what's to hold the subscriber who prizes PAC-12 over paying big bucks for MLBEI or NFLST?

If pac12 is that important to you then switch. I don't care for any of their teams however I live in Atlanta and need my stl cardinals and my stl blues so DirecTV is my only choice mlbei.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#36 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,046 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'd tell them switch to Dish and get MLB.tv, a PS3, and ST on PS3.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#37 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

I think you will find that if you are only wanting the absolute cheapest $, you need to switch providers every 2 years. If one of the providers has a channel or package that you must have and not the other, then you need to upgrade to a current package and ask for any discounts. It only makes sense that a business will be more willing to give a customer a discount when the customer is paying for a higher cost package, instead of the cheapest package available.

If you don't feel like calling, try an email - I just saw that my $10 HD credit for having autopay expired last month, so I sent an email yesterday from the link under the "contact us" section of the web page. I did not feel like calling in yesterday, so I just stated that I noticed that the $10 credit expired for autopay and if I could get it reinstated. Directv called me back last night and offered the $10 discount for another 12 months.

HR34-700 - owned
HR24-500 - owned
H24 - owned
Nomad

#38 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,014 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

If pac12 is that important to you then switch. I don't care for any of their teams however I live in Atlanta and need my stl cardinals and my stl blues so DirecTV is my only choice mlbei.

A business model built around offering out-of-market sports coverage is getting increasingly difficult to support. Some would assert that it is a model built entirely around a market of displaced consumers.

Would DIRECTV have nearly the appeal if you were a Braves fan?

Atlanta has had more than their share of trouble hanging on to a hockey team.

#39 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

I think you will find that if you are only wanting the absolute cheapest $, you need to switch providers every 2 years. If one of the providers has a channel or package that you must have and not the other, then you need to upgrade to a current package and ask for any discounts. It only makes sense that a business will be more willing to give a customer a discount when the customer is paying for a higher cost package, instead of the cheapest package available.

If you don't feel like calling, try an email - I just saw that my $10 HD credit for having autopay expired last month, so I sent an email yesterday from the link under the "contact us" section of the web page. I did not feel like calling in yesterday, so I just stated that I noticed that the $10 credit expired for autopay and if I could get it reinstated. Directv called me back last night and offered the $10 discount for another 12 months.

I sent an email confirming that I am no longer under contract and see if that prompts any kind of response. I have been out of contract for several years. I am getting the feeling they don't care. At this point I don't know how they could compete with the deal you would get if you switched. They would have to drop the programing cost for a year and give you a genie at no cost. I haven't read anyone on hear getting that kind of deal unless you are a new customer. Certainly not an existing one.

#40 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

I sent an email confirming that I am no longer under contract and see if that prompts any kind of response. I have been out of contract for several years. I am getting the feeling they don't care. At this point I don't know how they could compete with the deal you would get if you switched. They would have to drop the programing cost for a year and give you a genie at no cost. I haven't read anyone on hear getting that kind of deal unless you are a new customer. Certainly not an existing one.

You haven't been reading much then, because quite a few people lately have posted about getting an upgrade to the Genie for free, and some getting discounts on their programming as well.

It seems like the ones who tend to get the better deals are the ones who have higher up packages like Choice Ultimate, or Premier, and don't call in asking for freebies/discounts all the time.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...