Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Get Discounts or switch to Dish???

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   newred5

newred5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I called them about the increase in my monthly cost rising recently. I researched what Dish would cost over two years, what cable would cost over two years in comparison to Directv. When I called them I had already figured out what my monthly / yearly savings would be if I switched to Dish or cable. I told them I really liked Directv , have had it a vey longtime but the cost savings was a compelling reason to leave Directv. I asked them what type of credits or reductions they could give me to make the programming cost close . After about 30 minutes or pleasant back and forth they ending up giving me 10.00 off a month for 6 months, a 200 Visa Gift card , 159.00 Credit for the MLB extra innings , three months of Starz and Showtime. They offered me a Free Genie and install of it as well but I didn't want to sign a two year agreement .... So the cost comparisons, call, be nice and you should get some nice credits ....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

You haven't been reading much then, because quite a few people lately have posted about getting an upgrade to the Genie for free, and some getting discounts on their programming as well.

It seems like the ones who tend to get the better deals are the ones who have higher up packages like Choice Ultimate, or Premier, and don't call in asking for freebies/discounts all the time.

I currently have the old total choice and haven't called for any freebies until a couple of days ago. The only freebies I have gotten is they gave me the sports pack free for 3 months when I called to purchase it. I do read the forums but maybe I have missed something. I have seen people getting the free upgrade but paying for installs. All I know is something is going to change pretty soon.

#43 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Got a response to my email and they told me I am no longer under contract. They also gave me a different number to call than usual with PIN number good for 5 days if I have any questions. Anyone else ever get a PIN number?

#44 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't know about the PIN number, but that email seems promising. Given 'em a call, coffee in hand for a chat! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#45 OFFLINE   newred5

newred5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Yes I got a PIN number and then called about reducing my bill to something comparable to what Dish would be IF I switched

#46 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

That sounds like pretty good deal. I going to call with the pin number Saturday when I have the time to chat and not be rushed.

#47 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

It's interesting how my friends that have dish want to switch to direct tv, and my friends that have directtv want to switch to dish.. and I want to switch to roku. lol

#48 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

A business model built around offering out-of-market sports coverage is getting increasingly difficult to support. Some would assert that it is a model built entirely around a market of displaced consumers.

Would DIRECTV have nearly the appeal if you were a Braves fan?

Atlanta has had more than their share of trouble hanging on to a hockey team.

I like the braves but not as much as my cardinals.
If I was a fan of local sports only I'd probably have basic cable and not satellite.
However since I am from STL I have to get the packages. And the only people that offer me my sports is DirecTV. With that said of I were a die hard pac-12 team supporter I'd go to dish.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#49 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

It's interesting how my friends that have dish want to switch to direct tv, and my friends that have directtv want to switch to dish.. and I want to switch to roku. lol

The grass is always greener... lol
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#50 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm with you on that. I have the wdtv live that I stream movies and tv shows from my pc on. If I could get espn college gameplan on that thing I would hurl that dish into the road!

#51 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

thats because no company is worse than the other. when people get unhappy they do not qualify for new customer deals they switch from one place to the other.

#52 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think we can all agree that they charge way too much for tv. Same for cell phones. I do feel some sort of change is coming with all the streaming you can do now. Not to mention torrents.

#53 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I finally called today and spoke with retention and told them I was considering switching because of cost and new hopper. The lady offered me $20 of a month for 12 months and an extra $10 for 6 months if I switched to the new choice package frown my old one that no longer exists. She mentioned the genie but would only offer me aanother dvr to replace on one my recievers. I feel like it's pretty good deal but I would rather have the genie I think. Am I wrong not wanting another dvr? I currently have a dvr and I think I could switch it for one of my regular receivers if I got a genie. What do you guys think?

#54 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Another dvr would give you four tuners, almost as many as a Genie. I'm assuming the additional dvr would be free, but the Genie could be as much as $299. I have two dvrs and rarely have a recording conflict. YMMV.

#55 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yes, the dvr wwould be free. She quoted the genie for $299. My thinking was the discounts with a free genie and client for free with a new 2 year commitment. That is about what dish would offer. Dish would end up being about $8 cheaper a month plus new equipment.

#56 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Not to mention torrents.

I'd be careful with the torrents. . . back in the days of the acess card duplication / scam, I had an acquaintance that received a nice letter . . something about $6500 in fines or a couple of years in federal pen.

He paid the $6500.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#57 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'd be careful with the torrents. . . back in the days of the acess card duplication / scam, I had an acquaintance that received a nice letter . . something about $6500 in fines or a couple of years in federal pen.

He paid the $6500.

What African country was the letter from?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#58 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,804 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yes, the dvr wwould be free. She quoted the genie for $299. My thinking was the discounts with a free genie and client for free with a new 2 year commitment. That is about what dish would offer. Dish would end up being about $8 cheaper a month plus new equipment.

You were offered $300 in discounts, but you wanted that plus a free Genie and client, too?? Basically, you wanted $700 in total discounts. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#59 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

(Sticks up middle finger).

I would like to have close to the same deal I could get with dish. I glues they would be giving me that in discounts. 34.99 for channels plus a hopper and joey for free. Am I supposed to be happy about Directv not offering the same deal?

Edited by omartinjordan, 30 March 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#60 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

(Sticks up middle finger).

I would like to have close to the same deal I could get with dish. I glues they would be giving me that in discounts. 34.99 for channels plus a hopper and joey for free. I am I supposed to be happy about Directv not offering the same deal?

No, but I'm sure you realize that new customers get better deals. One important consideration is programming. Does Dish have the channels you want to watch? I would consider switching, but Dish doesn't have the YES network. That's deal killer for me. YMMV

spam firewall