Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Renews 18 for Another Season

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

CBS Renews 18 Primetime Shows for the 2013-2014 Season

Posted Image

Freshman hit "Elementary" will join 17 other series as part of the Eye's lineup next season.

. . . .

SOURCE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

We're pleased. :)

Would like to see CSI: NY get the renewal as well, but not surprised it's on the bubble. Friday's is a tough slot for TV shows.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Would like to see CSI: NY get the renewal as well, but not surprised it's on the bubble. Friday's is a tough slot for TV shows.

Peace,
Tom

Me too! I think CSI:NY is much better than the current version of the original CSI which has too many goofy subplots relating to the characters' personal lives. Although speaking of personal lives, the last episode of CSI:NY with the marriage proposal was really nice. Sadly, I bet this really IS the final episode.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-195130688.html

"Not surprisingly, MIA from CBS’ early renewal list again is perennial bubble comedy Rules Of Engagement. With the series recently hitting the 100-episode mark, the deals for the main cast up and most of them off to do pilots, it seems highly unlikely that Rules would continue, though I hear a short final installment is a possibility."

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-195130688.html

"Not surprisingly, MIA from CBS’ early renewal list again is perennial bubble comedy Rules Of Engagement. With the series recently hitting the 100-episode mark, the deals for the main cast up and most of them off to do pilots, it seems highly unlikely that Rules would continue, though I hear a short final installment is a possibility."

David Spade is already in another show for ABC. Too bad, I enjoy Rules Of Engagement.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'd like to see Criminal Minds come up as #19.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

I'd like to see Criminal Minds come up as #19.

For as closely as I will admit to following this, I think CM not being on the list is somewhat of a surprise; I thought it was, however unexplicably, getting ratings that would ensure renewal. Even in repeats it typically bests competition from new, competing show eps. But final decisions on the rest don't typically come until the first week in May, although being left off this list does not bode well.

The other surprise, is The Good Wife, possibly the best show EVER on television. The report has always been that it is hanging on by fingernails and that the only reason it made it to the end of the current season is because it needs ~88 eps to be viable for syndication. I did not see that one coming.

While happy about that, I really want to see Golden Boy get picked up. Odds are not really good. Like Vegas, too.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Peace,
Tom

I'm right there with you on CSI: NY, Tom. Although I'm really enjoying the original CSI with Ted Danza, I think CSI: NY still tops the list as our favorite CSI (including the now extinct CSI: Miami, which i absolutely detested).

I really, really wish that Golden Boy would get picked up, though all indications are that it is heading for a place on the cutting room floor. It's the first new show we've watched in several years - we'd stopped trying to pick new shows becuase the ones we picked always got axed. We watched Golden Boy one evening when we were all caught up on all our regulars and we were unsure at first but both Mrs. Sharkie and I are enjoying it very much. And, apparently our jinx on new shows is also continuing. :(

Glad to see Elementary get picked up for another season. We've only watched a few episodes, but we've enjoyed the ones we watched.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

The other surprise, is The Good Wife, possibly the best show EVER on television. The report has always been that it is hanging on by fingernails and that the only reason it made it to the end of the current season is because it needs ~88 eps to be viable for syndication. I did not see that one coming.

While happy about that, I really want to see Golden Boy get picked up. Odds are not really good. Like Vegas, too.

I'm with you on both. I've enjoyed The Good Wife since it debuted and am sorry to see that it appears it won't be around next year.

And Golden Boy and Vegas are two I really enjoy also.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

i like csi ny and criminal minds. cbs renew them.

#11 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm just glad they renewed Person of Interest!

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#12 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'm just glad they renewed Person of Interest!

:up: Only show I watch on CBS right now.

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Blue Bloods wasn't on the renewal list either. We record first-runs only and watch it regularly, but along with CSI:NY and Criminal Minds, when they're not on the play list, we really don't miss those shows.

We will miss Good Wife, if it goes. My first guess would be the show's a victim of CBS sports screwing up the Sunday night schedule, but The Mentalist doesn't seem to be affected by that. :shrug:
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Blue Bloods wasn't on the renewal list either. We record first-runs only and watch it regularly, but along with CSI:NY and Criminal Minds, when they're not on the play list, we really don't miss those shows.

We will miss Good Wife, if it goes. My first guess would be the show's a victim of CBS sports screwing up the Sunday night schedule, but The Mentalist doesn't seem to be affected by that. :shrug:

Blue Bloods is on the list. S is the Gd Wife. BTW while the effect of Sprts n the CBS SUnday schedule isa ource of cnsternation t anyone with a DVR it generally HELPS ratings.

Why d s many in this thread think that The God Wife is not n the list?

Edited by Geronimo, 28 March 2013 - 11:19 AM.

I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

It almost seems like the local CBS channel must be missing here....our household only watches 1 of all those 18 shows referenced... :D

But for followers of the others...enjoy. :)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Not that it was a surprise but it was good to see Amazing Race on the list. I get to see so much more of the world than I otherwise would be able to thanks to that show.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Why d s many in this thread think that The God Wife is not n the list?

Good question! :lol: I was taking a cue from others on that one. Blue Bloods was my bad. I didn't remember seeing it on a list I was looking at yesterday.

Nice to know both those shows will be back.
/steve

#18 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

In addition, CBS and Warner Bros. Television are in discussions regarding another season for TWO AND A HALF MEN.
Read more at http://www.thefutonc...VBQEe3x75XG3.99

Interesting. I wonder if TWO AND A HALF MEN is going to finally get the axe. We keep watching it, but the quality of the show is really hit or miss now a days.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#19 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm with you on both. I've enjoyed The Good Wife since it debuted and am sorry to see that it appears it won't be around next year.

And Golden Boy and Vegas are two I really enjoy also.

The "surprise" I was registering regarding TGW is that it indeed IS on the renewed list.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

...I'm really enjoying the original CSI with Ted Danza...

:confused::confused::confused:

...I think CSI: NY still tops the list as our favorite CSI (including the now extinct CSI: Miami, which i absolutely detested)...

Interestingly (and while I also detested it), CSI:Miami for many years was the most successful TV program in the world; there was apparently something about the Miami visual that connected in global markets.

Just to analyze that a little further, I actually liked the David Caruso character, and I have considered any movie DC was in (or TV show) to be better because he was in it. But I can see how most people hated the cartoon-character aspect of Horatio Cane. We had a drinking game for every time he whipped those sunglasses off and delivered a "clever" line (which usually immediately made Roger Daltrey scream). We all thought NYPD Blue could never recover from losing him, but then we didn't count on how terrific Jimmy Smits would be.

But I'm glad he had the gig; he was about 2 weeks away from starting a mens' haberdashery with his brother-in-law when he got the word.

No, I hated everybody else. Everybody. They were all jackasses, and they all treated every suspect, guilty or not, with complete disdain and a total lack of respect. Good riddance. One-dimensional creeps, all of them.

But the success of CSI:Miami also had a lot to do with how it didn't take any hard work on the part of the viewer. At least CSI had a sense of humor and made you think a little bit. But that was what was attractive about CSI:Miami; after a hard day at work slaying dragons of every sort, you could lounge in front of the TV and just veg; there was no heavy lifting; you didn't really have to pay close attention or follow an intricate plot Ahem! <Castle> Cough!.

There was no pre-show wrap up ("Last week on CSI:Miami...") because there was no ongoing overarching theme you had to keep up with. If you got interrupted by the kids or a phone call or pee break, you really hadn't missed anything important, because none of it was important. It's like McDonald's; you know exactly what you're getting, and that it will taste exactly like it did last time. The most important thing on CSI:Miami were the pretty pictures; it was popular in HD for the same reason Bonanza was once popular in color.

And there is a certain appeal to that. I love Castle and Revenge and Scandal, but I would never attempt to watch them if I were tired or even just sleepy, because they take too much work, too much pressure; too much investment from me the viewer. If I am tired or sleepy, but not ready to retire, I watch CSI or The Mentalist, because they go down so easy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...