Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading Receivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Had a question regarding receivers. I have been with D* now back again for 2 1/2 years. Was gone for a couple of years when I moved and before with them 6 years.

I want to upgrade one of my SD receivers to an HD receiver (not a DVR, already got 3 of those). Since I have been with D* over 2 years would now be committed for another 2 years? Do they charge for an upgrade? Would it make sense to just buy one of eBay and activate it?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

If you get it from DirecTV, you very well may get it at a discount or free. It would start a commitment. You can buy one from a seller on eBay etc, but be very careful. They may think that they own it, but they may not. If I were to buy one, and no one was selling one here, I'd probably ask for a picture of the RID with todays newspaper, then call the Access Card department to verify. I'd probably PM Texasbrit and ask if he still had one of his that he was selling.

#3 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Just went on the D* website and checked. Indeed the receiver was free; and I am guessing I would be signing up for 2 more years. What I don't understand - and I probably have to call them - they added a $10 charge for HD service in the cart. When I signed up for D* I got free HD for live.

#4 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Just went on the D* website and checked. Indeed the receiver was free; and I am guessing I would be signing up for 2 more years. What I don't understand - and I probably have to call them - they added a $10 charge for HD service in the cart. When I signed up for D* I got free HD for live.

If you already have free hd, that should continue. It's probably a default setting that shows the charge for hd.

#5 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

before committing for 2 years, I would call DirecTV and confirm

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

before committing for 2 years, I would call DirecTV and confirm

I agree. If the website is adding a charge that shouldn't be added, I wouldn't just assume that it will be dropped at a later step in the process. I'd call and talk to a human being in order to resolve the issue right up front.

spam firewall