Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about possible return to D* after 2 years with E*

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vroten

vroten

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I was a long time Directv customer (10 years) who switched to Dish two years ago. My experience with Directv was good and the main reason I switched was price. I'm thinking about coming back. Just wondering after two years does Directv treat me as a new customer eligible for promotions? Customer history was good, paid on time, etc. The free Sunday Ticket is calling my name. Thanks for any insight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I would like to know your experience with dish. I thinking of switching for the same reason. My buddy went from cable back time directv and got the freebies with Sunday ticket.

#3 OFFLINE   vroten

vroten

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I've been ok with Dish, but it just seems like I have more issues with their equipment. I a a dual tuner setup on a living room and bedroom tv. I am always having to reset the remote address on the bedroom remote due to interference. About 2 months into my contract with Dish I had a basic HD receiver die. It was replaced, but I've only replaced 1 Directv receiver due to failure in my previous ten years. Being on Dish's western arc my 129 signal isn't as weather proof as I'd like. Lots of outages on 129 due to rain/weather. I also like the fact that I could adjust the Dish Slimline dish myself...tougher to do with the dish dish.

It hasn't been horrible with Dish. Its just sort of like the old days with cars. You had Ford guys and you had Chevy guys. Tough to make a Chevy guy happy driving a Ford and vice versa. I've just been happier with Directv.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,301 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Just wondering after two years does Directv treat me as a new customer eligible for promotions? .

You qualify as a "buy back" customer and most of the they get the new customer promos
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

I was a long time Directv customer (10 years) who switched to Dish two years ago. My experience with Directv was good and the main reason I switched was price. I'm thinking about coming back. Just wondering after two years does Directv treat me as a new customer eligible for promotions? Customer history was good, paid on time, etc. The free Sunday Ticket is calling my name. Thanks for any insight.

After two years they will archive your old account and you can setup as a new customer. You won't be able to leverage your tenure when you do that, just as a heads up. Whether you do a winback offer or setup service as a new customer, you will basically end up with the same thing. Try going for the winback option before aiming for a new customer setup to keep that tenured account.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#6 OFFLINE   vroten

vroten

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. I'm going to talk to a local installer tomorrow. If it all works out I am hoping to get this taken care of next week.

#7 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Try going for the winback option before aiming for a new customer setup to keep that tenured account.

When I switched back after being with E* 1 year, I did a winback promotion but didn't get to keep previous tenure of about 8 years. I specifically asked if I could and they said it wasn't possible. Not sure if that's true or not, just FYI.

I didn't notice that it mattered though. I still called in after my discounts ran out and they gave me a great deal, even though I was under contract and was a "new customer"
Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

When I switched back after being with E* 1 year, I did a winback promotion but didn't get to keep previous tenure of about 8 years. I specifically asked if I could and they said it wasn't possible. Not sure if that's true or not, just FYI.

I didn't notice that it mattered though. I still called in after my discounts ran out and they gave me a great deal, even though I was under contract and was a "new customer"

If you kept the same account then you kept the tenure. It would change the activation date of the account but you would still have the previous order history and previous payment history.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#9 OFFLINE   vroten

vroten

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well went by and talked to local installer. My install is supposed to happen this Tuesday. Fingers crossed for no issues.:)

#10 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well went by and talked to local installer. My install is supposed to happen this Tuesday. Fingers crossed for no issues.:)

Who are you setting up the work order for installation through?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...