Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Combine/Replace account questions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I am going to combine/replace my account (under contract) with my parents (no contract).
In other words, since I have lifetime DVR service, and am under contract, and have new equipment, we decided to cancel their account, and move mine to their address.

We will be replacing their leased HR20 with my owned HR24, their leased HR21 with my leased Genie. We will then be adding their two owned receivers (one H21 and one H24) to my account.

My question is, will I need to order two new access cards for their owned boxes before I can add them to my account, and will I need to deactivate them from their account before I can order the cards?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

yes and yes
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

and you can only absorb their receivers if they are owned
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

and you can only absorb their receivers if they are owned

Their two receivers are owned boxes. Their DVRs are not (and will be returned if D* wants them).

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

{I am imagining about 3 CSRs running out of the DirecTV building screaming and rending their garments before you get all that straightened out}

:lol:

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

No, I wouldnt confuse the CSR that way. Ill do each step as a separate phone call.
1: Cancel their account and order two return kits.
2: Order new access cards for their two receivers (tell card dept I bought them)
3: Physically move my boxes to their house and call to have address changed at D*
4: Add parents to my account and switch autopay credit card from mine to theirs
5: Activate boxes on my account when cards arrive.

Ill enjoy them having faster equipment and not griping at me weekly about how its getting slower, and having to go over and reboot boxes at their house. Ill enjoy my Tivo XL4 and Tivo Premier on Xfinity at home, and not having to pay two tv bills each month anymore, and getting all the Cards games included in my base package without having to buy both the sports pak and extra innings :)

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

1) I wonder if DirecTV would charge for two unreturned units?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

1) I wonder if DirecTV would charge for two unreturned units?

Why would they? We will be returning my parents leased dinosaurs.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Why would they? We will be returning my parents leased dinosaurs.

Your #5 above implied that you;'d activate the receivers on your account. I guess you confused me as to which receivers are to be returned?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Your #5 above implied that you;'d activate the receivers on your account. I guess you confused me as to which receivers are to be returned?

He's closing his parent's account and moving his account to his parent's house. Since his account has lifetime DVR service and his parent's account doesn't, this will save $10 per month off of the bill.

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

My parents have two owned boxes on their account now, that they want to keep activated on my account. That will require getting new access cards, and reactivating them on my account when the cards arrive. Confusing, I know.

#12 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

I understand now, but, what's with the need for the recovery boxes?
I guess that was what confused me.

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

I understand now, but, what's with the need for the recovery boxes?
I guess that was what confused me.

His parents currently have two leased boxes and two owned boxes. The leased boxes will need to be returned when they move to their son's account. The leased boxes will be replaced, at their home, by their son's owned HR-24 and his leased Genie.

equipment currently on parent's account

Leased HR-20 ----> Return to DirecTV (need recovery box)
Leased HR-21 ----> Return to DirecTV (need recovery box)
Owned H-21 -----> transfer to Davenlr's account
Owned H-24 -----> transfer to Davenlr's account

equipment currently on Davenlr's account

Owned HR-24 ----> move to parent's house
Leased HR-34 ----> move to parent's house

change address of Davenlr's account to parent's address
change payment of Davenlr's account to parent's credit card

spam firewall