Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 8) - 03/27/2013

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Were Your Favorites? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Were Your Favorites?

1. Amber Holcomb (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Angie Miller (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Burnell Taylor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Candice Glover (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

5. Devin Velez (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

6. Janelle Arthur (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

7. Kree Harrison (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

8. Lazaro Arbos (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Discuss... :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Haven't been watching the show at all this season, but I decided to check out the 8 remaining contestants tonite. I thought Candice's I Heard It Through The Grapevine won the night. It was a great blues arrangement of that song, sung to perfection, IMO.

I also thought Candice was the best of the three in the Supremes' song.
/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

I don't think the boys can salvage this season. The girls seem to have it locked up.

I've stopped voting here because my choices are all over the place. The only consistent vote I have is for Candice, but I keep flip-flopping between the other girls from one week to the next. :nono2:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#4 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,049 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Who knows how the public will vote but I could see a Candice - Amber final.

Speaking of the voting public, please send Lazaro home.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Who knows how the public will vote but I could see a Candice - Amber final.

Speaking of the voting public, please send Lazaro home.

+1

But it could be between two other girls. The women are extremely strong this season and are just super-packed with talent. While Candice is my favorite, I wouldn't be too upset if any one of the other ladies took it.

Don't know when Lazaro will go home, but I don't see him or Devin anywhere close to the title.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,026 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

It seems this is the girl's' year to shine on this show. My wife is a loyal viewer, so that's really her feedback. I've seen a total of 10-15 minutes all season, pretty much by chance.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Janelle won it for me last night. I really dug her unique take on the song.

Candice and Kree were my second favorites of the night.

Devin was my next favorite, then Angie.

I like Amber a lot. Great vocals, cute girl, good personality, but I just don't connect with her songs like I do others... and that's sad, because she really should have been higher on my list than Angie, who didn't do very well last night.

Lazaro did better than usual, but it's time for he and Burnell to go home in my eyes. I'm hoping for Burnell first, and Lazaro next week. I just hope that the judges will save their "save" for others beyond those two.

As for the duets, I enjoyed Janelle and Kree's a lot, and Candice and Angie were great during their trio, and Amber was very strong as well, but the boys trio was a mess.

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

But it could be between two other girls. The women are extremely strong this season and are just super-packed with talent. While Candice is my favorite, I wouldn't be too upset if any one of the other ladies took it.

I used to say it'd be between Angie and Kree, but I think Candice could sneak past either one. I think it will just depend.

I'm personally torn between (alphabetically listed, not by rank) Angie, Candice, Janelle, and Kree. I used to just have my TOP 3 (A, C, and K), but Janelle has really grown on me, and after last night, all four have won the night (for me personally) at least once. One week, one of them will be my favorite of the night, the next week, another one will be, and they don't seem to be consistent in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place rankings either.

I'd like to see Burnell go home tonight, Lazaro next week, and Devin the next. Top 5 girls would make me VERY happy!! :D

Don't know when Lazaro will go home, but I don't see him or Devin anywhere close to the title.

I still say the little girlies could carry Lazaro past some of the girls who deserve to go further... heck, ALL of the girls deserve to go further than him, and yet Amber was in the bottom three last week.

#9 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

It seems this is the girl's' year to shine on this show. My wife is a loyal viewer, so that's really her feedback. I've seen a total of 10-15 minutes all season, pretty much by chance.

You didn't miss much when the boys were singing. The girls, OTOH, are another story.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#10 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

I used to say it'd be between Angie and Kree, but I think Candice could sneak past either one. I think it will just depend.

I'm personally torn between (alphabetically listed, not by rank) Angie, Candice, Janelle, and Kree. I used to just have my TOP 3 (A, C, and K), but Janelle has really grown on me, and after last night, all four have won the night (for me personally) at least once. One week, one of them will be my favorite of the night, the next week, another one will be, and they don't seem to be consistent in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place rankings either.

I'd like to see Burnell go home tonight, Lazaro next week, and Devin the next. Top 5 girls would make me VERY happy!! :D

I still say the little girlies could carry Lazaro past some of the girls who deserve to go further... heck, ALL of the girls deserve to go further than him, and yet Amber was in the bottom three last week.

I know your dilemma. I can't keep the girls ranked in any kind of consistent manner. That's why I gave up voting in your poll. It's to the point of musical chairs. :lol:

I haven't lost sight of Amber's placing last week. It portends no good to come from the "girlie" vote.

None of the boys have shown enough talent to rank higher than the girls. But I keep forgetting that the voting has nothing to do with talent. :rolleyes:

While I don't rank Burnell at the top of the heap, he is, IMO, the top of the boys heap. He should go home literally as the last man standing.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#11 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

The Result show left me a bit disappointed.

Somehow, I expected a better performance from Keith. Maybe it was the song ... at any rate, to me it was just so-so.

Same thing with Ms. McFever. I was looking forward to a solo from her, but got a duet instead.

Colton was good, though. He's matured quite a bit since his stint on AI. I liked the way he carried himself.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

While I don't rank Burnell at the top of the heap, he is, IMO, the top of the boys heap. He should go home literally as the last man standing.

Well, now that the only two guys left standing are him and Lazaro, I might agree, but I just don't like his singing. I enjoyed his audition, but he's not for me.

The Result show left me a bit disappointed.

Somehow, I expected a better performance from Keith. Maybe it was the song ... at any rate, to me it was just so-so.

Same thing with Ms. McFever. I was looking forward to a solo from her, but got a duet instead.

Colton was good, though. He's matured quite a bit since his stint on AI. I liked the way he carried himself.

I actually didn't watch Keith's performance. I'm a big fan of his, but what I heard from the other room didn't impress me too much.

I like several songs by OneRepublic, but some of their stuff is incredibly boring to me. The appearance of Kat helped this song in my opinion, but I wasn't impressed either.

I stated last year that I'm not a fan of most Contemporary Christian music. Most of it seems either forced, bland, or it all sounds alike in my opinion. That being said, I actually like a few songs on Colton's album, even a couple of bland ones, so I'll give him credit for that. I thought his performance was just so-so though.

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

The theme this week is "ROCK"...

#14 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Well, now that the only two guys left standing are him and Lazaro, I might agree, but I just don't like his singing. I enjoyed his audition, but he's not for me.

I actually didn't watch Keith's performance. I'm a big fan of his, but what I heard from the other room didn't impress me too much.

I like several songs by OneRepublic, but some of their stuff is incredibly boring to me. The appearance of Kat helped this song in my opinion, but I wasn't impressed either.

I stated last year that I'm not a fan of most Contemporary Christian music. Most of it seems either forced, bland, or it all sounds alike in my opinion. That being said, I actually like a few songs on Colton's album, even a couple of bland ones, so I'll give him credit for that. I thought his performance was just so-so though.

That's where personal taste comes into the game. I don't think Lazaro can sing... well, maybe in the shower, and with an accent. To me he just doesn't have the talent or the pipes that Burnell has. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Given Lazaro's pity vote, it's very hard to predict what would otherwise be an easy call.

I've never heard Keith sing before, so I don't know if it was the song or if he was just having an off night.

Kat deserves a better setting than the one where she had to share the stage. She's paid her dues and is a bona-fide actress. I'd never heard nor seen OneRepublic perform until the other night. Frankly, I don't care to do so again.

Don't recall Colton's song. I only meant to mention that it was his demeanor and apparent maturity that impressed me.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

That's where personal taste comes into the game. I don't think Lazaro can sing... well, maybe in the shower, and with an accent. To me he just doesn't have the talent or the pipes that Burnell has. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Given Lazaro's pity vote, it's very hard to predict what would otherwise be an easy call.

Most people I know like Lazaro's singing, but everyone I know is getting tired of his work ethic and excuses. He's reminding everyone of Heejun...

I've never heard Keith sing before, so I don't know if it was the song or if he was just having an off night.

:eek2:

WOW!!! Just... WOW!!! :(

Kat deserves a better setting than the one where she had to share the stage. She's paid her dues and is a bona-fide actress. I'd never heard nor seen OneRepublic perform until the other night. Frankly, I don't care to do so again.

OR has some decent music. I didn't care for the other night...

Don't recall Colton's song. I only meant to mention that it was his demeanor and apparent maturity that impressed me.

I've never been a big fan of his... but I enjoyed the interview with him, as well as his interaction with Ryan and Angie.

#16 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

[...]
:eek2:

WOW!!! Just... WOW!!! :(

Honestly. At least not knowingly. :nono2:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

I know everybody has different tastes, but I want to take a moment to recommend an album that has recently been released:

Kacey Musgraves - "Same Trailer, Different Park"

It's been in HEAVY rotation here, and I'm currently in LOVE with this album.

While Kacey is a former talent show contestant ("Nashville Star"), one might ask WHY I would bring this up in an "American Idol" thread? The answer would be that AI contestant Kree Harrison sings some backup vocals on the album.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...