Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

86 year old dementia patient must pay $400

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

If they have deminsia and are being moved somewhere else, then they likely can't be using Directv anymore, and therefore should be able to get it shut off since they have moved somewhere where Directv is not an actual option in the first place. I do believe that gets you out of a contract no matter what.

I don't get how the EFT is so high, unless they just signed up very recently.

And anyone who thinks someone who suddenly has dimensa should still be made to pay the EFT even though they can no longer use the service at all should take a long walk off a short cliff. Sorry, but you have obviously never dealt with it before if you have that attitude.

I would sincerely hope that Directv (if gone trough Ellens office) would not charge the EFT and take care of this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

I am a crg rep- if I had gotten that call, I would have done everything I could to try to get someone to waive the contract. You may want to call back, a lot of times it is up to the person you speak with what gets done.

Edited by Volatility, 30 March 2013 - 12:53 PM.
correction

#63 OFFLINE   timothy2001

timothy2001

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

My wife and I have been so busy moving and caring for her Uncle and his son this is the first opportunity I have had to check on my post. Thank you so much to all who have contributed, we are in NC visiting our son who is deploying to Afghanistan and when we get back next week I will contact DTV and settle things.

He was very likely not of sound mind when he signed but I don't think that is the point. It makes sense to provide relief to the contract and it appears DTV will do the right thing. There are some pretty hard core posts here but I appreciate everyone's input especially those that provided a path to get him his money back. These exceptions have to be a tiny portion of their revenue and the PR benefit they get from it far outweighs the $400.

Tim

#64 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

Free legal advice (non-lawyer) :

- If you uncle does not have $400, then what can DirecTV do about it? I agree that legally and morally the bill should be paid, but, at the end of the day, all DirecTV can do is sue. So when they start calling, etc, just tell them he has no money and to pound sand.

- So they sue. If you sue an incompentent person, he is entitled to a "guardian ad litem", which will be a local lawyer, who gets paid, depending on the state, by either legal aid, the plaintiff (i.e. DirecTV) or the Court. He will make more than the $400. At the end of the day, DirecTV's bottom feeding collection lawyers know that, and will let it go.

- So they sue, get around the incompent thing and then? We are back to #1 above. Cannot get blood from a turnip. They get a judgement, which, if you have already sold his property, is uncollectable. You cannot attach SS in any state, and cannot attach a pension in most. Tell them to have a nice day.

#65 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Free legal advice (non-lawyer) :

- If you uncle does not have $400, then what can DirecTV do about it? I agree that legally and morally the bill should be paid, but, at the end of the day, all DirecTV can do is sue. So when they start calling, etc, just tell them he has no money and to pound sand.

- So they sue. If you sue an incompentent person, he is entitled to a "guardian ad litem", which will be a local lawyer, who gets paid, depending on the state, by either legal aid, the plaintiff (i.e. DirecTV) or the Court. He will make more than the $400. At the end of the day, DirecTV's bottom feeding collection lawyers know that, and will let it go.

- So they sue, get around the incompent thing and then? We are back to #1 above. Cannot get blood from a turnip. They get a judgement, which, if you have already sold his property, is uncollectable. You cannot attach SS in any state, and cannot attach a pension in most. Tell them to have a nice day.

I never heard of DirecTV sueing someone for not paying the ecf. That doesn't mean they never do just from what I have seen they write off the account to a collections agency. Then that agency will try to collect and if they can not it will of course go against your credit. The agency nor DirecTV is allowed to harrass and intimate people to pay: the FTC has come forward with the FDCPA, which gives debtors legal rights to sue those debt collectors who illegally threaten, intimidate or harass them. Now DirecTV will sue you in a second faster than you can say hot potato if they find out you are commiting satellite fraud like doing illegal stuff with the access cards but this I wouldn't think so :-)

#66 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,998 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Tim (OP)
Please let us know how Directv handled this with an offer to help. I am sure many of us would like to know.

Here's 2 related examples.
-An extended family member dies, has a lease on his car with Infiniti, not married, no kids, other family members reach out to Infiniti and show death certificate and try to hand them keys. Response: Pay the rest of the lease or our lawyers will come after the family/estate. Offer to hand over keys met with no way.
-Very recently another extended family member passed on. Spouse who has another car goes to Buick to tell them similar story. The person leasing the car (their name only) has died, spouse has another car under a lease and already has those payments. Asks to return car, end lease. Front line people elevate it. Buick says, Of Course.

Sometimes death isn't good enough to end a contract. But I think it depends on who you talk with. You have to push your way up to people that have the power to make a decision.

#67 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

I never heard of DirecTV sueing someone for not paying the ecf. Then that agency will try to collect and if they can not it will of course go against your credit.

That is correct, and, in the OP's case, of what value is a credit rating to an 86 year old dementia patient anyway?

I see a lot of people who get all torn up about parents'/other old people's debts. At the end of the day (legal not moral discussion) it is not a debt of theirs, but of the (often judgement proof) senior citizen.

I had a lady in my office. All torn up about a medical bill from her aunt's final illness. Aunt was 90 something, living on SS and a pension. Less than $1000 in the bank, 12 year old car that she had not driven in 5 years, shotgun house.

Told her to tell the hospital that the estate was closed and to pound sand.

#68 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

I am not without sympathy but there is more to this than meets the eye. My wife is a special education school teacher who works with Autistic children. Her mother died of Dementia. There is no cure for either disease. Those afflicted with chronic Autism will need life long care. Those afflicted with Dementia will eventually need total care. People at the age of the OP's uncle are rarely in good health and shouldn't still be caring for someone who is disabled. Given that, why did the OP and his family wait until the last minute to assist the uncle and his son?

Help them with what? Maybe because what you call the last minute is when they got to the point that they couldn't live by themselves anymore and that's when the relatives got involved. The elderly can function alone with limitations, but there comes a time when you have to draw the line and say, it's time to get them some care because they start deteriorating. We went through that with my Mother.

Edited by n3vino, 31 March 2013 - 06:58 AM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#69 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

The only right thing to do is pay what is owed rather than passing it off to be absorbed by others.

Wow Talk about a double standard. :lol: Man you are too much.

2 months ago Directv doesn't pass their Subscriber bills through their customers.
Now they do? :rolleyes:

Wow I hope Directv won't have to file Chapter 11 by not getting this $400 from a disabled 86 year old man.

Edited by damondlt, 31 March 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:23 AM

Help them with what? Maybe because what you call the last minute is when they got to the point that they couldn't live by themselves anymore and that's when the relatives got involved. The elderly can function alone with limitations, but there comes a time when you have to draw the line and say, it's time to get them some care because they start deteriorating. We went through that with my Mother.

My wife's mother was a widow in her seventies and living alone when she was diagnosed with dementia. One can only imagine the fear she must have felt hearing her doctor tell her that. Unlike you and the OP we and my wife's family didn't wait for her to deteriorate before we stepped in. She was cared for and surrounded by her family during the twelve years it took that damn disease to rob her of her mind and end her life.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#71 OFFLINE   ChrisQ

ChrisQ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Not moral vs legal anything, its a moral AND legal obligation to pay the bill...

You expect an 86 year old man with dementia to act on his moral obligation but it's ok for a multi-billion dollar corporation to ignore theirs.

Honestly that's what I expect out of them too. Occasionally we get surprised.

#72 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

dont see a problem with the commitment being waived under those circumstances...
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#73 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

(Some)Hardcore DirecTV super fans telling people with dementia that they should be made to pay an ETF. Keep up the good work, you are true fans. No one will take away your badge. Wear it with pride for you are a fan of a TV Provider. Humanity 0%, DirecTV 100%.

#74 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

That's going to leave a mark lol

#75 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

(Some)Hardcore DirecTV super fans telling people with dementia that they should be made to pay an ETF. Keep up the good work, you are true fans. No one will take away your badge. Wear it with pride for you are a fan of a TV Provider. Humanity 0%, DirecTV 100%.

Guess it depends on if the condition was documented by a health care professional before they entered into the contract or after. That is the key point, had it with my dad - it was not documented and the fees with another company where required to be paid by the estate lawyers

#76 OFFLINE   timothy2001

timothy2001

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I am pleased to report that DirectTV contacted me literally minutes after I contacted them and they absolutely did the right thing.

Thank you to all who provided input here even to those hardcases who appear not to understand that making exceptions to policy often makes very good business sense.

The company I work for reaps huge benefits in the form of increased revenue by being a better business partner than our competitors whom we take business from on a regular basis. Thats B2B but B2C works the same way.

Thank you very much DirectTV and I am sure if Uncle Rocky was aware of what just took place he would be very appreciative too. I am taking him to the bank tomorrow to deposit his Social Security and small pension check and will tell him the story but he won't remember it in five minutes. Whenever we take them anywhere he asks literally every few minutes, 'where are we going'?

#77 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

I am pleased to report that DirectTV contacted me literally minutes after I contacted them and they absolutely did the right thing.

Thank you to all who provided input here even to those hardcases who appear not to understand that making exceptions to policy often makes very good business sense.

The company I work for reaps huge benefits in the form of increased revenue by being a better business partner than our competitors whom we take business from on a regular basis. Thats B2B but B2C works the same way.

Thank you very much DirectTV and I am sure if Uncle Rocky was aware of what just took place he would be very appreciative too. I am taking him to the bank tomorrow to deposit his Social Security and small pension check and will tell him the story but he won't remember it in five minutes. Whenever we take them anywhere he asks literally every few minutes, 'where are we going'?

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#78 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

That's excellent news!

#79 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Didn't doubt for a minute that they would drop the ETF. Awesome to hear!
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#80 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Exactly! Better partner is more money. Sometimes not as quickly, yet in today's world of instant connections, doing the right thing means more now than ever. Glad you shared your experience with DIRECTV and how your company works.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...