Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

86 year old dementia patient must pay $400

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,164 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Timothy2001,

I'm glad you got a good resolution to this. Having a 94 year old mother with highly advanced dementia, the only thing I can add is that if you (or someone) does not already have general and medical powers of attorney for your uncle, it is absolutely time to get them. I wish you the very best over the next few years as you and your family deal with his hideous disease. There are several phases, each with it's own unique challenges.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Glad they dropped the ecf. I knew they would.

#83 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

That would be one opinion. Not a very polite or nice one. Many companies understand that good will generates more income. And bad will, hard line tactics gain a few hundred dollars. Penny wise, dollar foolish.

Peace,
Tom

I think that used to be the case, but that doesn't work in America anymore. It is all about price, now. For 80% of America, brand loyalty is dead and no amount of goodwill changes any of that.

It's what happens with the destruction of the middle class and with the proliferation of entitlement ideals.

#84 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think that used to be the case, but that doesn't work in America anymore. It is all about price, now. For 80% of America, brand loyalty is dead and no amount of goodwill changes any of that.

It's what happens with the destruction of the middle class and with the proliferation of entitlement ideals.

I agree to a point that 'brand loyalty is dead' but not around these parts! As this thread and many others here show - DirecTV has some very serious and very loyal followers!:)

#85 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

I agree to a point that 'brand loyalty is dead' but not around these parts! As this thread and many others here show - DirecTV has some very serious and very loyal followers!:)

You realize that's how almost every forum is? Just like every other forum dedicated to something. Roku forums have dedicated users of Rokus. Chevrolet forums have dedicated Chevy drivers. Etc.

Of course there's also small groups of users, known by internet lingo as trolls, who constantly complain (often about the same thing) and whine. :)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#86 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

While I think brand is not the all-powerful magnet it used to be, I do also think brand has some power left. Especially for companies that take care of their customers. In fact, I suspect companies now have to work harder on customer service to keep their brand active.

My grandtibber just posted a note about great customer service she received. That note will carry weight to others thinking about buying things they sell.

It is all a balancing exercise between the costs and the type of company one wishes to create.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#87 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

You realize that's how almost every forum is? Just like every other forum dedicated to something. Roku forums have dedicated users of Rokus. Chevrolet forums have dedicated Chevy drivers. Etc.

Of course there's also small groups of users, known by internet lingo as trolls, who constantly complain (often about the same thing) and whine. :)

Call me a troll if you'd like... But whenever DirecTV screws up I'll point it out - especially if it helps someone that doesn't realize they are supposed to just drink the punch and keep quiet. Specifically when someone posts about 'speed' problem or 'remote response' problems and the die-hards here beat up on them I'll be sure and explain how things are.

If I ever post something that's not true please correct me but don't expect me to 'join the team' and defend DirecTV at every turn.

DirecTV did the correct thing here and I'm happy they did - I suspected they would.

#88 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Call me a troll if you'd like... But whenever DirecTV screws up I'll point it out - especially if it helps someone that doesn't realize they are supposed to just drink the punch and keep quiet. Specifically when someone posts about 'speed' problem or 'remote response' problems and the die-hards here beat up on them I'll be sure and explain how things are.

If I ever post something that's not true please correct me but don't expect me to 'join the team' and defend DirecTV at every turn.

DirecTV did the correct thing here and I'm happy they did - I suspected they would.

Does that go for Cable and DISH shortcomings? :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#89 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Call me a troll if you'd like...

I didn't.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#90 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

It would if I had Dish Network or this was a Dish Network forum. I don't 'look the other way' for any of the providers. I completely understand that they all have the good and the bad.

#91 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I didn't.

Really?:lol:

#92 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Good thing that D did here. Funny how mostly only bad things make news and the good news gets reported not to often.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#93 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Good thing that D did here. Funny how mostly only bad things make news and the good news gets reported not to often.

Exactly, it didn't take long before people on here were telling the OP to call their local paper/news station to tell them the horrible thing DirecTV was doing, but now that DirecTV has done the right thing (which I too expected they would do) how many people are still telling the OP to call his local paper/news station to tell them about the nice thing DirecTV did for their family?

That said I am sorry to hear about the OP's situation, and I am glad that DirecTV was able to help out in the little bit they could. I personally have a grandmother that is starting to battle dimensia. My issue is my mother and her sisters are in denial and think she is fine living alone as long as they check in on her every day. My father and I keep telling them that she needs to either move in with another family member or be put in a living facility that has people that can keep an eye on her, but they think stopping by once or twice a day is good enough.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#94 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Exactly, it didn't take long before people on here were telling the OP to call their local paper/news station to tell them the horrible thing DirecTV was doing, but now that DirecTV has done the right thing (which I too expected they would do) how many people are still telling the OP to call his local paper/news station to tell them about the nice thing DirecTV did for their family?

It'd be a waste of time to call, now. News stations wouldn't have a worthy story...there's no shock value or super sympathetic pull (like kid with cancer).

#95 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Simply doing the right thing (something they should have done in the first place) isn't worthy of a news story.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#96 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Pointing out cable and DISH shortcomings while D*nying DirecTV problems is best handled by a D*dicated D*fender.

#97 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Even if we eat the cost by paying more for programming, I am happy to hear that they drop etf for you in your case.

#98 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I was about to suggest to move the service to your house and cancel it after the contract is up.

#99 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Even if we eat the cost by paying more for programming, I am happy to hear that they drop etf for you in your case.

No one is "eating" anything. These things are built into budgets.

#100 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

No one is "eating" anything. These things are built into budgets.

It's built into forecasted budgets...we all know that many many companies miss their forecasts by tons every year....and those budgets are built-in to what they end up charging us, the customers....we pay for everyone's freebies.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...