Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm back with Dish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gilitar

Gilitar

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I'm back with Dish after a brief 18 month period with Directv and boy am I glad to be back. I got the new hopper with sling and two joeys. The new receivers are great! There is no comparison between the two! Dish's prices and equipment are better. Also, having Sirius/XM is nice for poolside music. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

I'm back with Dish after a brief 18 month period with Directv and boy am I glad to be back. I got the new hopper with sling and two joeys. The new receivers are great! There is no comparison between the two! Dish's prices and equipment are better. Also, having Sirius/XM is nice for poolside music. :)

Welcome Home.:welcome_s:)

#3 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

Thats funny, and I'm about to cancel DISH.
You mentioned xm/sirius?
That done via dish???
I'm about just grab a Roku and watch my programming that way.
Roku 3 reviews look excellent.
http://huludeals.com/the-new-roku/

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

You mentioned xm/sirius?
That done via dish???

Yes, Sirius/XM has been with Dish for many years but only the music channels. Not the entire Sirius lineup.

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

:wave: I'm sure you'll be missed.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

You mentioned xm/sirius?
That done via dish???

Roku is great, I had have one for a long time. It's not in anyway a replacement for Dish (or Direct, etc) it's an alternative. Some of what you might watch on Dish is available, but not necessarily free. But if it's just some entertainment you want and need to cut costs, it's a very nice unit.
And yes, Dish has the Sirius/XM music channels available on the receiver.

#7 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I have a Roku with a Netflix and HuluPlus accounts and find it a great addition to my viewing needs. Plus, you no longer need those pricey premium channels which helps keep the old Dish bill more reasonable.

#8 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

I also have the Roku with Netflix, it is not the Roku that is cool, it is Netflix. Everything else on Roku is simply stuff you can stream on any computer, and it is junk, and there are some channels that do cost money. As someone else said, it is a good addition to DISH, but solely, you will struggle to find the great choices and offerings that DISH provides.

#9 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

I also have the Roku with Netflix, it is not the Roku that is cool, it is Netflix. Everything else on Roku is simply stuff you can stream on any computer, and it is junk, and there are some channels that do cost money. As someone else said, it is a good addition to DISH, but solely, you will struggle to find the great choices and offerings that DISH provides.

Actually, you are incorrect.. the Roku 3 is amazing and very cool.
It's got some cool features. (headphone..) the damn thing connects faster than any other roku i've ever used. Good reviews too.

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'd say dlt summed it up well. Some junk and a lot of things you could get without a Roku. It does have things that would or could be otherwise hard to find. The box itself is good but when I see someone say it can replace premiums it just doesn't. Just about any of the movies most which is often older could be watched without a Roku. What the Roku does is organize things and does a good job of it. It also is good way to watch HBOGO for instance but you could do it with a tablet computer or smartphone too. But you won't get anything seen on HBO or Showtime for instance unless you pay for it and even then you will get only some episodes of some HBO shows unless you subscribe via Satellite or Cable.

Edited by tampa8, 31 March 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

But with a Roku you don't have to deal with the severely bad DISH EPG and misfiring timers. You get what you want when you want it and all of it.

#12 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

The box itself is good but when I see someone say it can replace premiums it just doesn't.

There are some some really good Swedish, Danish, and French TV programs on Netflix that are just as good, if not better, than the the premiums.

#13 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Ya, that's what I want when I get home from work, some of that good Swedish or French programming, not Boardwalk Empire, Games of Thrones or a good Boxing fight. You actually helped to make my point - it's an alternative and in no way a replacement. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...