Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie requires no additional boxes for other rooms now?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Something new? I seen a commercial today with Directv advertising the Genie. It mentioned no other boxes are needed for other rooms. I actually have a Genie myself and a HR24 in another room. This is news to me?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Did not see the add, but perhaps reference is to RVU ?

#3 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Did not see the add, but perhaps reference is to RVU ?

That's what I was thinking too. I meant to record to review the fine print which I find myself doing a lot of lately. Waiting for others to start posting the deceptive ad posts.

#4 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Something new? I seen a commercial today with Directv advertising the Genie. It mentioned no other boxes are needed for other rooms. I actually have a Genie myself and a HR24 in another room. This is news to me?

The Directv website says no additional cable boxes needed so the commercial may have said no additional boxes needed. However you still need a Genie mini client which is a small box and allows you to have the same functionality as the main Genie receiver. I have the Genie at home and use my other HDDVR's rather than a client.

#5 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

It's in reference to if you have a Samsung tv with RVU built in you don't need the mini client box. A marketing tactic that only applies to 1% of tvs out there if that... Otherwise you still need client or other type of receiver.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#6 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

As usual, the fine print counters the ads deception.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

It's the thing I hate about commercials, the slick marketing isn't reality. Of course the one time I saw a commercial that I thought went over the top in being "fake", ends up was real (Pickup truck towing Space Shuttle.)

Sequences shortened, professional driver on closed course, results not typical, receiver may vary, aliens will not actually fight in your living room etc etc.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

I hate that commercial. It's deceptive and the fine print is actually inaccurate.

The fine print says that a Genie (HR34) and a Genie Client (C31) are required. If a Genie Client was necessary (which it's not), I don't know how they could possibly claim that no box or wire is required.

The fine print also says that the Genie can only be used as a server to one client at a time, which is also not true. It can serve 3 clients at a time.

Where I think that the commercial is deceptive is where it claims that no cables are required. In today's wireless society, that commercial is implying that you can stick a TV on any wall in your house and get DirecTV service wirelessly. Even with a RVU client TV, you still need to run a coax (which, the last time that I checked, is a wire) to the location where the TV is mounted.

#9 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

I thought the newest client was able to connect wirelessly. Or did I misunderstand some 'first look' or post here??

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Lets all just calm down. It's a commercial. Are you all new to this concept?
DTV = Digital Television

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,902 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

I thought the newest client was able to connect wirelessly. Or did I misunderstand some 'first look' or post here??

There isn't a wireless client available. What some folks have tried is to use a DECA-W to set up a wireless connection to a C31/C41 but that's it and not a supported setup.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Aha! Thanks.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#13 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

I asked this same question about the HR34 in another thread recently and was told you still have to have something attached to the TV unless it's one of the newest Samsung sets. The commercial to which I think he is referring is very misleading.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#14 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Is it possible for the other "smart tv" (oxymoron? :lol:) manufacturers to upgrade their software and add an RVU app?

#15 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Is it possible for the other "smart tv" (oxymoron? :lol:) manufacturers to upgrade their software and add an RVU app?

Supposedly RVU is becoming part of the DNLA standard which will make it much more common. I haven't seen a time frame on this but Sony products are said to start being RVU compliant as well. I don't believe it's as simple as software upgrade to make past models compatible but it could be.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

People who actually believe what they see in commercials deserve to get fleeced.....

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,902 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Why not, if they join the RVU alliance, write the code and get their product certified I don't see why they couldn't.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Supposedly RVU is becoming part of the DNLA standard which will make it much more common. I haven't seen a time frame on this but Sony products are said to start being RVU compliant as well. I don't believe it's as simple as software upgrade to make past models compatible but it could be.

My LG Infinia saw my HR20 ad sees the HR34 Genie as a Directv2PC server and can look at the files, but can't play them. It reports them as unsupported files.

#19 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

People who actually believe what they see in commercials deserve to get fleeced.....

That's a pretty cynical remark.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

My PS3 has seen my DVR's and the playlists for years now....just cant play them because there is nothing in place on the ps3 to let the dvr know its ok to play the recordings.

spam firewall