Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie requires no additional boxes for other rooms now?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Lets all just calm down. It's a commercial. Are you all new to this concept?

People who actually believe what they see in commercials deserve to get fleeced.....

So both of you think it's okay to have a commercial that is deceptive because a:it's only a commercial after all and/or b:anyone that is fooled by such deception deserves what they get.
Um, okay!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Marketing has always been the biggest joke on the planet....there has never been truth in advertising....as they take liberties in literally every commercial I have ever seen. Should I believe the commercial about the Budweiser Clydesdales in Chicago? Did that scorpion really undo that hot model's bikini in that new Fiat 500 commercial? How about the MRV commercials where they show a holographic battle scene in the middle of your living room, then you pause it and go to another room and the holographic battle scene continues in another room. Am I supposed to assume from that commercial that Directv is holographic? Of course not. The commercials are meant to pique your curiosity about a product or idea so you'll look into it more.

#23 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Lets all just calm down. It's a commercial. Are you all new to this concept?

So you are the voice of reason here?

#24 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

There isn't a wireless client available. What some folks have tried is to use a DECA-W to set up a wireless connection to a C31/C41 but that's it and not a supported setup.

There have also been rumors about a future wireless client (C41-W?) posted here over the past few weeks/months.

#25 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

The commercials are meant to pique your curiosity about a product or idea so you'll look into it more.

There's a big difference between piquing someone curiosity with images and flat-out lying about the capabilities of a product.

#26 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,122 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Marketing has always been the biggest joke on the planet....there has never been truth in advertising....as they take liberties in literally every commercial I have ever seen. Should I believe the commercial about the Budweiser Clydesdales in Chicago? Did that scorpion really undo that hot model's bikini in that new Fiat 500 commercial? How about the MRV commercials where they show a holographic battle scene in the middle of your living room, then you pause it and go to another room and the holographic battle scene continues in another room. Am I supposed to assume from that commercial that Directv is holographic? Of course not. The commercials are meant to pique your curiosity about a product or idea so you'll look into it more.

Don't forget how erectile dysfunction commercials can allow you to go sailing, have you and your spouse sit in separate bathtubs in beautiful meadows, etc. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

There's a big difference between piquing someone curiosity with images and flat-out lying about the capabilities of a product.

But they aren't flat out lying. The fact is if you have a compatible RVU TV you don't have to have "another box" at that TV.

The fact that only a few people have RVU compatible TVs doesn't make DirecTVs ad a lie.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#28 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Exactly - the thing that piqued my interest in that commercial is not that they imply that there are NO cables involved, but they actually say it and further the idea by clearly removing both the box and all cables from the picture. Unless there is some sort of wireless connection coming down the pike soon, this is a deliberate falsehood.
Opinions voiced by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of any other person or entity, living or dead, real or fictional, on this or several other planets in this universe or any other.
Close cover before striking. Bridge may freeze before road. Your mileage may vary.

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Isn't a C31 using a wireless CCK, a wireless client? I believe the C41 or whatever is supposed to have wireless built-in, isnt that correct? I haven't seen this commercial so I dont know the specifics of this commercial and what it is claiming or what the fine print says...

Edited by CCarncross, 28 March 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Exactly - the thing that piqued my interest in that commercial is not that they imply that there are NO cables involved, but they actually say it and further the idea by clearly removing both the box and all cables from the picture. Unless there is some sort of wireless connection coming down the pike soon, this is a deliberate falsehood.

If we are talking about the commercial I think we are (guy swimming in a lake and gets out with leeches all over him), they say stop looking at wires and boxes. They show a cable company receiver on a stand below the TV with all the wires going up to the TV. They then make that receiver and it's wires disappear.

So they are talking about getting rid of the wires between the cable box and TV. Again this is not a lie, it is true. With a RVU TV the only cable is an ethernet cable hooked up to the TV, or a coax hooked up to a DECA adapter and then ethernet to the TV, both of which could easily be hidden behind the TV. Therefore you no longer have to look at the box or wires, which is what the ad says.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#31 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

You still need the power cable. ;)

#32 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

You still need the power cable. ;)

When I wall mount a TV I tend to put a power oulet recessed in the wall behind it, so the power cables needed can be hidden as well.
-by Jack Handy

#33 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Isn't a C31 using a wireless CCK, a wireless client? I believe the C41 or whatever is supposed to have wireless built-in, isnt that correct?

C31 using a wireless CCK is not a configuration that is supported by DirecTV. Are you suggesting that it's appropriate for DirecTV to advertise functionality that they don't support?

The C41 does not have wireless built-in. According to the First Look, the biggest functional differences between the C31 and the C41 are the ability to use the new RF remote and the external power brick has mounting holes to allow for a wall mount.

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

This is hilarious!

Let's face it, the commercial is misleading as are most commercials. DirecTV is by far more interested in adding subscribers than truth in advertising. We're talking about a multi-billion dollar corporation here and its goal is to make money. Period.

Carry on!

#35 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,122 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

C31 using a wireless CCK is not a configuration that is supported by DirecTV.

eSATA isn't supported, but many people use it. So is MRV with your own network. So is using the ethernet plug on the Genie to get your boxes to get internet. What's the big deal?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I think they may be pushing the fact that a C31 client is small enough that it can be mounted behind a wall mounted TV. Their recent installer training goes over a number of mounting options.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#37 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

So both of you think it's okay to have a commercial that is deceptive because a:it's only a commercial after all and/or b:anyone that is fooled by such deception deserves what they get.
Um, okay!

Its only deceptive if its a Dish Network commercial.

Since its Directv that makes it OK!:rolleyes:

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Its only deceptive if its a Dish Network commercial.

Since its Directv that makes it OK!:rolleyes:

Ha ha!:lol:

Wait - you may have something there!

If the regulars here aren't sure what the commercial means there is no chance in hell regular old people watching TV will think anything but they don't need receivers or wires - just a Genie and all your dreams will come true!:P

#39 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

There's a difference between long and existing customers that knows all to well about these commercials and read the fine print first, And new or potential customers who believed what the commercial was saying, only to find out later after they sign up that other stuff were required. That in itself in deceptive.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#40 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

eSATA isn't supported, but many people use it. So is MRV with your own network.

By that logic it would be appropriate for them to advertise that you can store 10,000 hours of HD content with the Genie because it's possible for you to build a huge external RAID box that you can connect to the DVR and then telling you "tough luck, we don't support that" when you have a problem.

Having unsupported features is one thing. Advertising an unsupported feature as a feature would be inappropriate and misleading.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...